10 years ago today

10 years ago today, I published a post on Facebook inviting people to join a forum where they could get access to the grand total of 15 half-hour Welsh lessons… :slight_smile:

Now, we’ve got about 170, as well as big chunks of new advanced content being published every week, two frameworks to coach people through the learning process, brutal residential intensives, Bootcamps, partnerships with Bangor University and Nant Gwrtheyrn, over 50 lessons in Spanish, almost 30 in Manx and 10 in Cornish, and plans to start another 5 or 6 languages this year (possibly in partnership with a major publisher).

And one of the friendliest forums on the entire internet… :star: :star2:

And in about three hours or so, our 5 full-time-ish staff are going to be meeting for lunch in Aberystwyth for a little Calennig Party.

It’s been a roller-coaster journey, and I want to say just two things about it:

1 - thank you from the bottom of my heart - diolch o waelod calon - to everyone who has travelled with us on that journey - your enthusiasm and hard work and generosity inspires me every day. And…

2 - this really is just the beginning… :slight_smile:

43 Likes

Be sure to enjoy your lunch.
Personally, I can’t thank you all enough.
Here’s to you guys, to us all and to the future of the Welsh language, Iechyd da :clinking_glasses: xxx

6 Likes

Wow! :clap::clap::champagne::beers::clinking_glasses::cocktail:

Can’t wait to see what’s coming next! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:
Ready to conquer the Universe! :space_invader::space_invader: :space_invader:

4 Likes

A huge achievement of benefit to so many of us as well as to Welsh and other languages.
Congratulations and thanks to you all. :clap::star: x 5

7 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau!! Here’s to another 10 successful years! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau Aran! I so wish I’d come across SSiW back then instead of waiting to fail at a intensive morning course at uni that I wasn’t up to!

Watching the team’s work on continually pushing the boundaries and new ways to make it as easy as possible to acquire Welsh is just so inspiring (I’ve started to enjoy the Mozilla voice recognition speaking and listening since you posted it last week!). And of course, everyone I’ve met on the team is just so enthusiastic and passionate about the mission, the impact even now is incalculable. Can’t wait to see what comes next!

Mwynhewch eich cinio pawb!

4 Likes

Congrats Aran and Co.!!

Your hard work and determination over the last decade has changed and is changing so many lives (mine included).

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:DIOLCH I GALON!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Many congratulations Aran and a big thank you to you and everyone at SSIW for the wonderful work you do, hope you all have a super lunch. Thanks also for all the help and support given by fellow learners and forum users.
(Its beginning to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech so I’ll stop there):wink::hugs:

6 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau.

You already know what I think of this course and all the work you guys do - and about you all personally - so I won’t bother with that again.

Here’s looking to more success in the future.

See you all in Caernarfon across the party weekend.

4 Likes

Just to add my many congrats for what’s been achieved by you on behalf of us all and on behalf of Welsh language and culture.

And this is coming from one of the original grumpy old cynics who never thought it possible that I’d ever learn to speak any Welsh, especially at my age and living where I do. I may still be one of the slower learners but I think I can say that I can now speak a good bit of Welsh with a degree of confidence.

This isn’t a word I bandy about very often, but your achievement is little short of - genius.

8 Likes

Congratulations! It’s incredible how much you have achieved in the past ten years. A huge thank you to Aran, Catrin, Iestyn, Cat and the whole team from the bottom of my heart. You’ve enriched my life in totally unexpected ways, and I look forward with great anticipation to what the future holds! Enjoy your lunch and celebrate! :tada:

6 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau!!! You truly have created something amazing, and as the others have said, it is changing people’s lives for the better. The community that has formed here is truly incredible in how supportive and friendly it is, and I hope you are all very proud of what you have achieved in the past ten years!

I have only been here for a little over a month, and I live far from Wales, but your efforts and the kindness you and everyone in the forum have shown me have already changed my life… I came here with little hope left that I would fit in anywhere or make friends again, and that has changed - not only here, but in my everyday life as well. Thank YOU from the bottom of my heart!

Diolch o waelod calon! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunflower::stars::rainbow:

8 Likes

Wow, only ten years ago and look what you’ve achieved! Huge congratulations to you all on what you have done and all of the people you have helped.

I wonder how many people have learned to speak with SSIW over that period ?!! Fantastic.

Rich

7 Likes

A huge thank you for everything! I did online lessons for a year and thought I was learning. And then, SSiW came along and Wow! It showed me how much I was missing in developing Welsh. I feel so confident and every day I feel like I am progressing.
Thank you! Thank you!

8 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau! To quote a phrase I learned recently, “On i’n meddwl bo hi’n sothach llwyr a dw i eisiau fy mhres yn ôl!” :wastebasket: :rofl::rofl: “I thought it was complete rubbish and I want my money back!”

Seriously, what SSiW (you, Catrin, Iestyn and Cat) has accomplished is phenomenal! Almost a year ago I discovered the extent of my hynaflaid Cymru. I can honestly say, had I not found SSiW, met the amazing people I have, and read your book, my interest for Wales would have been limited to learning a few words/phrases and a bit of history. Learning Cymraeg and hanes Cymru has opened a new door for me and has made a difference in my life. Congratulations to you all! :tada::sparkler::boom::fireworks::tada::confetti_ball: DIOLCH O GALON!

If anyone’s curious,here is what SSiW looked liked in 2011. Earliest screenshot I could find

9 Likes

Mwynhewch y cinio :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau!

Your insight and skills, passion, persistence and encouragement have made a difference to so many people who ‘wanted to learn Welsh because…’—and they could because you had a dream and made it happen.

From all of us whose dreams are coming true because of your efforts and dedication ‘diolch yn fawr iawn’.

9 Likes

Simply, diolch!

6 Likes

I don’t have enough diolchs for what you’ve done for my Welsh, and for me.
:sparkles::dizzy::sparkles:

8 Likes

Diolch o’r galon, Aran - mae wedi bod yn wirioneddol inspiring and life changing what you and the team have achieved - really, can only repeat what everyone else has said already but IN CAPITAL LETTERS! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes