2017 Northern Bootcamp?

As many of you may already know. Aran and myself have moved from Pen Llŷn to the hills in Snowdonia, above Caernarfon.

So for all intents and purposes, we need to find a Bootcamp house nearer to where we live. The question is, do we find a luxury self catering holiday cottage in the countryside somewhere outside Caernarfon? Or do we book a ‘regular’ self catering house in Caernarfon itself.

Do you want luxury and total peacefulness in the wilds, or comfort within walking distance of shops/restaurants/pubs/Castle?

Please let us know your thoughts. Diolch! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How about luxury and peacefulness within walking distance of a pub? :smile:

4 Likes

Just reminding everyone of this. We are going to have to be booking somewhere very soon if we are to continue with the Northers Bootcamps. The Caernarfon area is very busy with tourists, almost all year round, so we’ll need to get our skates on!!!

So what do you fancy? A bootcamp in the centre of Caernarfon or out in the countryside?

Please let us know what your thoughts are. Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Out in the countryside?
  • In the town?

0 voters

What do you think of this…

Not sure what the odds are of getting a place, so slight reluctance to skew the voting… (Nice dream though, where’s the wistful smilie? :heart_eyes: )

1 Like

http://www.nationaltrustholidays.org.uk/holiday-cottage/dyffryn-mymbyr-farm-house-conwy-conwy/

http://www.nationaltrustholidays.org.uk/holiday-cottage/dyffryn-mymbyr-cottage-conwy-conwy/

1 Like

I think an in town bootcamp would be most productive and reduce the need to drive. One of the nice things about Tresaith is, of course, The Ship. It keeps the evenings’ conversations going. So the tiredness doesn’t completely win!

1 Like

Lovely National Trust houses!

Unfortunately a little too far from where we live. Having young kids in school and two dogs, and only one car we need something close to our home, otherwise the logistics become a bit of a nightmare.

Another important criteria for us is maximum number of bedrooms and twin/single beds. Our Northern Bootcamps have usually around 10 attendees and we currently only have one pair who sometimes come as a couple. So rooms which only have double beds are problematic… unless our Bootcampers become very good friends… :joy:

2 Likes

LOL! That sounds like a whole OTHER kind of camp!

2 Likes

Was a place found in the end? If I could put my two pence in, I don’t drive myself and am reliant on public transport. I’m sure I’m not the only one in this position. As such as much as a rural location sounds nice, a town location is more accessible for those who can’t drive.

2 Likes

Hi Dafydd! Yes, we ended up with a town centre location, and if it goes well enough, that’ll probably be where we stay in the future too… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi,have only just joined the forum,been practising daily since New Year.I am slow,only on lesson 15,level one.Are there any events which would suit me this year? Chrisis.

2 Likes

Hi @Chrisis and welcome to the forum first.

Maybe it’d be great to explor “Bootcamp” and “Meetups/Events” categories. Bootcamp is just one of such events, but it’s not free unfortunately. In the category "Meetings/Events you can find where in or near your area there might be some meetings practicing Welsh. And, maybe the category “General/Questions” could give you some hints too.

Welcome once again and happy exploring around the forum.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Chrisis! First up, getting to lesson 15 in a couple of months is a very respectable rate of progress - at that rate, you’d have finished Level 2 in a little over six months - and with the right mix of extra activity (ie conversation and listening exercises!) that would see you having real and interesting conversations.

There may be more southern bootcamps (and I’ve heard the odd whisper that there might even be an extra northern bootcamp this year, although the jury is still very much out on that right now) - once you reach the end of Level 1, you’re ready for Bootcamp. Keep an eye on the forum and the daily email and you’ll hear if more southern bootcamps open up… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.I can pay for boot camp but am I right in thinking that they not so frequent of certain as in the past? I am practising the norther version,would going to a boot camp in the south confuse me(more than usual!)? Chrisis.

1 Like

Hi again @Chrisis. there’s no particular rule to which bootcamp you actually go. There is fair mixture of gog and de at both - north and south ones so no matter where you go you’d encounter the mixture of speach at least among the bootcampers themselves. Practice makes no harm and if you might be a bit confused at first at the end of the week (when bootcamp ends) you might very well “forget” which version you actually understand better or even speak.

This year (if I’m correct) are bootcamps in April (Northern and Southern), then there’s one in July - southern and as @aran whispers (obviously) there might be one more northern in the future although it’s not known even if it will surely run what even the date of it. Usually there’s one southern bootcamp in September also if there’s enough interest for it.

Places for April Southern and July (Southern) might be still available but I’m not sure though.

There usually was one southern bootcamp in June also but according the all written here there was not enough interest for it this year so it will not run.

You can also attend unofficial mini bootcamps (at the weekends) which are organized by @Pete2 and those who attended them say it’s awesome to go for something like that too. You can search for the "(Unofficial) mini bootcamps in the Bootcamp category and explore the topics.

I believe there are more or less equal number of bootcamps each year and this year (with exception of June bootcamp) it’s no different. As I can recall, there was for many years only one Northern bootcamp in April usually and then 4 or even 5 in the south. So, nothing appears to be less frequent then in the past neither too diferent in “content”. :slight_smile:

I hope I’ve managed to give you some useful information.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes