A little slower please

"Ive just started to remember how to say what I wanted to say’ only 4 minutes into challenge three with new vocab I cant even distinguish the sounds yet. Thats way beyond anything Im ready to take on. A little slower please

Thats just too much, No way !

Going to try to work with some of the older material again.

Come back to it…it’ll stick…:+1:

2 Likes

George - it’s possible you’re what we call a higher repetition learner:

It’s also possible you’re worrying too much about getting the longer sentences right - they’re just there for you to have a shot at them - if you’re getting most of the shorter sentences near right, then you’re doing fine, and are good to keep on moving forwards… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries, GeorgeFear. You’re doing great. You know how I know? Because you came to the forum and shared your exasperation. Guess what? I think most of us has been at that same moment multiple times. :tired_face::fearful: Right! I like the excellent feedback from MikeWilliams and Aran.

Only thing I can add is my own experiences that are similar to yours. Sometimes I have to repeat what Aran said 3 or 4 times to make sure I heard it properly. Sometimes, I play a portion of the sentence, pause it, say that portion and repeat until the sentence is done. Sometimes, like you, I rewind to an earlier part of the lesson to build up my confidence and then power through the hard part. And lastly, sometimes I just skip on ahead knowing I’ll probably hear that sentence multiple times in future lessons.

The key thing, whatever option you choose, is KEEP moving forward…don’t stop (paid â beidio). I believe you are doing excellent. Keep at it and it will come.

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. Im not giving it up but it is unbelievably frustrating. Some of the sounds…

There are simply sounds blending together that I cant seem to distinguish when they blend. Doessnt matter how often I hear them.

Im going to learn dweud rhywbeth yn cymraeg one way or another. But I might have to look for some supplemental material. Its going to be a while, I think, before I get to the paid material

2 Likes

I dont think this is quite it. Generally I have a very good memory and learn fairly easily when it comes to certain subjects.

The problem is actually hearing and trying to duplicate. And I think it is specifically regarding some of the nuances of a celtic language. I have no problem with Ll or ch but there are certain ways they blend that just doesnt want to register. In the first 4 lessons of the old course I was even, after a few extra reps, able to get the flow of softening sounds and dropping letters.

But Im really stuck on this one. It sounds as though . even 4 minutes in, that letters are being dropped even before I get the full sound. I really cant tell if thats the case.

i’ll try it again tomorrow.

1 Like

Yup, been there done that, too! Maybe this will help. The links come from the Frequently Ask Questions section of the site and have some of the words and phrases you are experiencing. Perhaps seeing them written will be helpful.
Link to Level 1 Northern Dialect
Link to Level 1 Southern Dialect

2 Likes

I don’t know to which phrases you are referring @georgefear , but it seems to me that dropping letters at the beginning and/or end of words is very, very common in spoken Welsh. In my experience (similar to so many of us), it’s best to push on, and go back to a difficult lesson after a while, and see the difference.
Also remember that it’s not a race and not preparation for an exam. It’s meant to be fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating. That’s why this Forum is so good.
I’d say to you to carry on, enjoy, and let off steam on the Forum when needed: you are not alone!
Pob lwc! (good luck)

1 Like

And another suggestion @georgefear, which is NOT SSiW policy, but which helped me: the old courses are indeed easier than the Levels. If you do find Level 1 hard - and it really can be challenging - maybe do Course 1, or part of it, and then start Level 1. I did the whole of Course 1, then sped through Level 1. Of course, it took longer, but it worked for me. And yes, I know that it’s not encouraged on this Forum, but, the hell, it worked for me as I said. It may be worth trying a few approaches until you find something that works. I like to treat the SSiW resources as “tools”: different people may wish to use them in different ways.
And always look to the Forum for ideas and encouragement! Seems that you’re doing rather well…

3 Likes

I think it’s probably a little better to phrase this as ‘some people feel that the old courses are easier than the levels’ - others feel the other way round - and technically there are points in the levels where the rate of new material is actually a little less than in the courses… :wink:

3 Likes

Digon teg - fair enough!

1 Like

I still get stuck on " if you don’t make me a cup of coffee I will never love anyone ever again". Doesn’t matter though as it creases me up with laughter every time I can’t say it. You’re right Aran it’s not about perfection but engaging with the process. Overall Level 3 is brilliant and I’m nearing the end of it now.

4 Likes

That was a direct quote from real life, I might add… :wink:

3 Likes

@aran So I take it there’d better not be any slime making prior to your first coffee of the morning…:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

That would verge on an extinction event, no two ways about it… :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

Hm is that where I am going wrong? Apart from panicking….To me if I don’t get them all right “I don’t know”. The week 2 with no work was a killer too, that multiplied the panic, having a totally blanc mind, even words I have known for a year or so, gone, totally! And yes thought of giving up. What is it with this language, never had those issues before? Is it because I live among Welsh speakers, and it matters? Many people say Welsh is hard but it is just a language. French to me looked just a jumble of ouxis in different formations :crazy_face: Time for a G&T me thinks. Maybe that is the answer

1 Like

Yup, that is WILDLY over harsh on yourself. Memory just doesn’t work like that - it’s a slow process of accretion - each time you revisit a word or structure, you encode a few more details about it, until eventually it becomes easy. If you’re getting more than about half of them fairly near ‘right’ at this point, then you are definitely NOT a higher repetition learner.

It’s nothing about Welsh - but it may be the methodology being very different to anything you’ve done before. Which other languages have you learnt to conversational fluency as an adult? :slight_smile:

Alright point taken, but then why change habit of 50 odd years!!! :roll_eyes: Who needs therapy, join SSiW. Thanks Aran you and your team do look after your students. I guess you’ve been there…

I grew up with German, then English, picked up Italian as a kid on hols, did one year of it at college then a year French, Latin at school but hurray you don’t speak it. Could do the Welsh on paper no bother, but I’ve always been Math and Science orientated. I just find it interesting that many Welsh students (and I was part of 3 different classes with college over two years) grumble and moan, never had that with the other languages. Don’t think it is the different alphabet with me, can read the Greek alphabet…Onwards and upwards, must be getting better, after breakfast said to my dog Ma dal eisiau i fi dysgu Cymreag. Thanks again for your support, and the group and thanks to my old tutor for mentioning Nicky’s “adopt” which lead me here :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Ahh, that’s very interesting - particularly your ‘hurray you don’t speak it’ - sounds as though you’re much happier when you’re dealing with neat and tidy things that can be pinned down on paper - and perhaps have mostly done that sort of traditional approach and then gritted your teeth for the speaking bit later (although your experiences with Italian sound the other way round).

A LOT of people find it tough to let go of control and accept the natural messiness of spoken language from the very beginning, so you’re not alone there… :slight_smile:

I can talk the hind legs of a donkey but think you are right, insecurities and it is “safer” on paper!!! As to tidy, I bought my first PC 21 years ago because nobody could read my writing, including self :rofl:

You’ll be pleased to know with you pep talk went much easier and hardly used pause button, so thanks again

3 Likes