A quick collection of off-topic stuff from the Government opinion thread

The mangling of “plaid Cymru” on question time or whatever (often to “plaid cimroo” or anything else is an atrocity! I find myself boiling before the tv- I’m forced by law to pay your wages! Make an effort to get the pronunciation right! It’s the “BBC”, not the “EBC”!
Which would not matter so much if, as I say, I were not forced by law to pay their wages!

To be fair, the ‘u’ is quite regularly pronounced like an ‘i’ in the south, so…

As I do, and my friends and family do, (but of course, people round here (Welsh speakers or not) don’t pronounce the first vowel in “Cymru” as English “i”) it’s both that and the “oo” or any variation on it which means that the BBC is taking money under force from the Welsh with no respect for the Welsh.

I have just been allowed to stop paying them, but I don’t think that alters my feelings! Actually, I am very confused. I am still not quite 75, but we transferred the licence into my name because Janet didn’t see why we should pay if the law said we need not! (I have this conscience about young people who can’t afford it and I can.) Anyway, we got a refund, not just of the little bit of the year after my birthday, but of what seems to be 10 months! We presume the first licence her mam bought started in March!
It seems a bit unfair on folk with birthdays in January and very good for those in December!

1 Like

OFF TOPIC reply to @rob_bruce simple answer to would they watch it in abertyleri - no. I’m not from abertyleri, but when I was a child I hated having anything like that on my TV (my mother loved it). I’m in a minority of one here, since Eisteddfodau are much loved and I really respect that and the vast good that it does for the langauge, but I suspect more than a few of us out there will never be converts and will never see it as our cup of tea. It’s a personal thing, I used to despise the Southbank show as well and you wouldn’t see me dead in the Tate modern - so maybe I’m a bit of philistine, but plenty of us out there.

That’s the Urdd Eisteddfod you’ve just described, which gets wall-to-wall coverage on S4C for a whole week in the spring. I don’t know how you would get it on BBC1 or 2. Maybe we might see a highlights show on BBC4. Do they watch that in Abertileri?

1 Like

I am sure the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol gets a daily, “Today at the Eisteddfod” slot on BBC1, just like Y Sioe Frenhinol. It wouldn’t hurt them to put a little item in Wales Today at 6.30 while the Urdd is on! I am sure there are enough charming little boys and girls and talented teens to please an audience some of whom actually speak the language!

They did this year. In every news show about today on the maes.

PLEASE keep conversation to the off-topic thread, and leave the actual Government thread for submissions! :slight_smile:

Oh, @aran bach, mae’n ddrwg gen i, eto! The trouble is conversations sort of happen and sometimes… well suggesting more coverage of events like the Urdd Eisteddfod on BBC seems like a good idea to tell the Government! It means, in mid message, flipping from one thread to another! But… :anguished: :sob:

1 Like

The government really doesn’t have any control over the BBC. Even if broadcasting was devolved (as it should be) having the government telling the national broadcaster what it should and shouldn’t be making programmes about would be a very dodgy move indeed.

2 Likes

Oh dear! Grovel! More grovel…mwy! I was, I suppose, thinking in terms of the public suggesting it and the Government merely pointing out to the BBC that there was demand! I do actually think that broadcasting should be devolved as needs are not the same in Wales as in Scotland as in England!! (I sort of thought it was already devolved in Northern Ireland…yes/no?),

@aran Did you see Question Time from Neath? There was a lady in the audience virulently furious because Carmarthenshire, as she saw it, wants to force all children to speak Welsh! Now I think she had misunderstood a move towards bilingual education, but she was an object lesson in the dangers of not making everything crystal clear to people! She did not sound English. I suspect she was from Neath. She was very, very anti Plaid Cymru, seeing the Party as wanting to ban everything English. She clearly admired Neil Hamilton.

1 Like

Nope, we don’t currently have a telly, which is rather lovely… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Question time hand picks the audience.
"“Question Time audiences are not a random sample of the public, but are screened and selected in advance, on the basis of their replies to a questionnaire on an application form.”

That lady was a comparatively well known and prominent anti-Welsh campaigner.
The "B"BC picked her as they wanted her views to be heard, then cut short someone on the panel responding to her.

I very rarely watch Question Time now, purposefully- caught last nights by accident. Wish I hadn’t.

3 Likes

They certainly are. And the Irish.

There at least seems to be a backlash against Alun Cairns and his diatribe against Leanne, blaming Plaid for Meibion Glyndwr’s activities when Leanne was in Primary School! Also, as there are not many holiday cottages in the Valleys, it was as stupid as an Insurance Company being unwilling to insure my Gower cottage in case my (attached) English speaking neighbours set it on fire!! Ignorance may excuse a company in 1987, but the secretary of State for Wales should:

• know what he’s talking about
  • represent Wales at Westminster, not spread old, wrong impressions!
3 Likes

#wearewales

Can anyone help me? Between 2000 and 2005 I was enmeshed in thinking about moving, sussing out Argyll, planning extension to this house, selling my cottage…etc.etc… What was going on in Gogledd Cymru at the time seems to have slipped my notice! At least, yesterday, on Sunday Politics, Guto Bebb said that the ‘exchange’ between Alun Cairns and Leanne Wood was just robust debate, nothing like as bad as the collusion?conspiracy? between Labour and …was it Welsh Mirror? against?targetting? Welsh Speaking communitiies. I did listen three times and I still didn’t understand - never mind the fact that in the ‘robust debate’ Liane was lucky to get 3 words in before DD shut it down and called on the rabidly anti-Welsh audience member.
Please, I know it isn’t quite relevant to the Forum, but what did Labour do in the noughties that was so terrible?

1 Like

It very much isn’t!

There’s a good article here from Sion Jobbins, originally published in the Cambria magazine, that should give you an overview of the references:

http://sionjobbins.com/Race%20-%20terfynnol.doc

[Or you could go to Sion’s website and click on the first link on the articles page: http://sionjobbins.com/articles.php].

2 Likes