A quick collection of off-topic stuff from the Government opinion thread

I thought it was![quote=“dee, post:3, topic:5963”]
the rest of the teaching is through English.
[/quote]

I’m sure a friend of mine from Gwynedd learned Latin in Cymraeg but most things via English. Isn’t that ever done now?
I’m part through response to Document and have 33 more messages on here to read!
Edit to add: @aran (message 6) Brilliant. Hope you sent that in!
@johnwilliams_6 ditto, but my generation spell be be ec and es pedwar ec.

A positive comment in this context by the current dysgwr y flwyddyn, Hannah Roberts, in an interview on BBC Cymru Fyw today: “Os ydych chi’n meddwl amdano fe, mae mwy neu lai pawb yng Nghymru, i ryw raddau, yn ddwyieithog. Ble ar y scale maen nhw, dwi ddim yn siŵr.”
So there is potential for everybody to be included…

1 Like

I understood the first half of that quote…

Oopsie. “If you think about it, more or less everybody in Wales is, to some degree, bilingual. Whereabouts on the scale they are, I am not certain”

3 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

“Es pedwar ec”

The consultation wants you to give opinions on how to improve the attitudes of people towards Welsh. So they haven’t defined it yet, they’re trying to.

Exactly so! But not according to the way the alphabet seems to be taught at the moment, unfortunately. So for other acronyms for which the traditional alphabet version as not widely known as e.g. S4C, I’m sure people will probably feel more confortable using the English alphabet version rather than the version of the alphabet currently taught

1 Like

I don’t know that that is the ‘fault’ of the alphabet as much as people just being more familiar with written English than written Welsh. (Unfortunate, seeing as it is arguable to say that Wales was the first country to have a majority of its population literate, and that was through Welsh. Certainly comparatively early compared to most, whatever the detailed reality.)
I believe Russian does something similar- I know nothing of Russian, and I am sure someone could correct me on this! That is, it has an “official” alphabet of “named” letters, but the common way to use the alphabet is phonetic sounds.
If Welsh people are less likely to use the Welsh names in such a situation, I would say it’s because Welsh speakers as a whole tend, unfortunately, to be less familiar with literacy in Welsh than in English rather than an intrinsic fault in the way the alphabet is used.
(This is on average, of course- I know people in “anglicised” (with reference to the language) areas who are as or more comfortable with Welsh literacy as English literacy, of course, depending on their background and upbringing.)

1 Like

In my submission I suggested Urdd Gobaith Cymru be involved in organising camps for children from Welsh and English speaking areas together, so that the ones who can speak Welsh, but don’t, can get role models who do! Girls and boys of 10 appreciate slightly older, good-looking sporty boys!!! :blush: (I didn’t quite say that last bit!)

Good luck with Neil Hamilton! Sorry - you haven’t a clue who he is! Ex-Tory who remembered a Welsh granny when he wanted a new job and stood for UKIP just as the protest vote went that way!
sorry @aran, delete this if it too naughty! :imp:
To @Toffidil I live in Scotland, make it clear that I am a Welsh exile and would not dream of pontificating on affairs Scottish. If all incomers to Wales who do not want to be Welsh kept their opinions to themselves, that would help. Especially those who expect meetings to change language just for them!
to @elizabeth_jane I totally agree with every word! I hope you submitted those ideas!

That’s slightly unfair. He was born in Blackwood, raised in Rhydaman and went to university in Aberystwyth. He may subsequently have become more English than the English (Dic Siôn Dafydd anyone?) but his qualifications are rather stronger than a Welsh granny.

1 Like

Nope, but I know word “Tory” just enough to know they’re more or less “anti-Cymreig”.

Oh, boy … If I compare our (language-cultural) history to yours we’re really unbelievably alike. Many times I feel like we’re brothers and sisters in this matter.

Sorry “policymakers”. That’s not useful to you though so I better stop here. However …our history might teach you something and vise-versa. …

Grovel! I logged in especially to correct what I had put, Yes, Mr. H was born in Wales, raised in Wales and Graduated in Wales. He then departed to become very English, with a Very English wife. He denied ever accepting cash for questions, but lost his seat to Martin Bell. His various libel suits failed. Between then and 2011, I’m not sure what he did. Lots of Celebrity work for Christine may have helped.
I think the rest about UKIP is true. Why he is so nasty to Nathan Gill, I do not know!
p.s. For all I know he learned Cymraeg, but he never seems to speak any!

One of the things he did was to record a song supporting the England football team.

2 Likes

This is something that had occurred to me. A “you already speak Welsh” campaign aimed at those who don’t think they have any Welsh but nevertheless use Welsh words and grammar in their English would be useful in raising interest and awareness and also lower the bar in many people’s minds as to what constitutes a “Welsh speaker”.

3 Likes

@aran I presume it was you who moved things like my opinion of dear Neil into this thread, and I do see why. But some ideas seem not irrelevant to the task.

is one such! I’m not sure how to go about it, but some sort of advertising! Have you submitted it, @robbruce?

1 Like

While I agree with you about the general deplorability of Hamilton, I’m not entirely comfortable with the idea that people want to judge if other people are “Welsh enough”.

I lived and worked in London for over a decade, I have a very English accent, and my wife is English. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been allowed back in either?

smiley-face

1 Like

Neil Hamilton doesn’t want to come back in!
He continues to live in England, and wants the Welsh taxpayer to pay for his commuting to Wales.

You are right, of course, that Welshness is a state of mind, and considering yourself to be Welsh is the most important thing.
Normally, I would hang well back from making judgments on such a thing (or rather, hang back from telling other people what my opinions are), but he is a politician who has shown such little interest in Wales and Welsh issues until this opportunity for his (or rather his wife’s) career popped up, that I think it is reasonable to point it out.

He does seem to have had as little interest in Wales as Stephen Kinnock did until his appointment, and with politicians it is relevant when people with no ability or interest are parachuted into positions like that, as it can have a terrible effect on the country that we all live in. (Or don’t, in Mostyn Neil Hamilton’s case.)

1 Like

That’s a much better stick to beat him with.

2 Likes