Aberteifi

Sh’mae folks -

I am going to be in the vicinity of Aberteifi / Cardigan between 14 - 22 August this year. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Cymraeg events going on, or places (cafes, shops?) it is spoken that I can go along and listen…or even pitch in with some beginners Cymraeg of my own?

Diolch, SImeon

1 Like

The Awen Teifi book and gift shop on the main street is one shop you can definitely speak Welsh in. And every Friday there is a group that meets in the Fisherman’s Rest restaurant, right next to the carpark down the street almost opposite the castle. They are there from 11am and happy to welcome visitors.

Apart from that, just wandering around Aberteifi and listening will give you clues. I was in a gift shop with my daughter last week and you wouldn’t know it was particularly Welsh, but the people behind the counter were chatting away in Welsh with a couple of the customers. I find just saying “Helo, shw mae?” when I greet someone is enough for them to speak Welsh to me instead of English.

I get an email each week telling me of Welsh events in the general Aberteifi area, so I’ll post if I see anything on in that time period.

1 Like

Shw mae Simeon?

It’s well worth popping in to the Fisherman’s Rest (by the Car Park down the hill opposite the castle) on a Friday morning between 11 and 12.30 to meet with Howard and the rest of the CYD group that meet there. They’re a lovely friendly group (it may be quiet mid-holiday though) and you’ll get some nice relaxed conversation there.

If you like Fish and Chips then the chip shop beside the market is nice and Welsh speaking, as I think is the cafe on Finch Square (though I haven;t been there recently).

There’s also a nice traditional pub - the Eagle - over the bridge (you can’t miss it since they painted it canary yellow!).

As Dee says, though, just greet people with a cheery “shw mae?”, and you’ll soon find the Welsh speakers amongst them!

1 Like

Diolch pawb! - much appreciated.

Will be along there in a few weeks so will scope out the different options, hopefully giving the Cymraeg an airing along the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shwmae Simeon, roedd lyfli cwrdd â ti yn y Maes D yn yr eisteddfod wythnos hon. Dw i’n dwli ar Aberteifi a’r ardal o’i gwmpas, ac mae na blog defnyddiol gyda manylion o ddigwyddiadau i ddysgwyr cymraeg yn Aberteifi yma: http://dysgu.com/ - ti’n gallu tanysgrifio i’r cylchgrawn wythnosol. Joio! Maggie (CACEN Brighton)

1 Like

Gwych i gwrdd â ti hefyd!..ac pawb o CACEN Brighton! Diolch am y gwybodaeth am Aberteif, edrych ymlaen i’r wythnos yna. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joio - un o fy hoff lefydd yng Nghymru yw Mwnt, ger Aberteifi, gyda’r hen eglwys a chlogwyni hardd - os ti’n lico nofio yn y môr, mae na traeth bach lyfli yna hefyd, ac maen nhw’n siarad Cymraeg yn y caffi! Bydda i yn Abertawe gyda fy rhieni dros y pythefnos nesa, os ti’n moyn stopio heibio ar dy ffordd am goffi a chlonc yn gymraeg. Hwyl!

Hi @simeonhall

Did you notice the Cilgerran Festival which will be on while you are in Aberteifi?

Gŵyl Cilgerran Aug 13th to 21st

I went to the coracle racing day last year and as well as being a wonderful event there was lots of Welsh being spoken all around.

1 Like

Thanks for that Dee - I think the CIlgerran festival will be a good one for me. Diolch pawb for all the suggestions :slight_smile:

…and over a month later, I finally get around to replying …

Thanks Dee for the tip about the Cilgerran festival: was a greatexperience…although I gibbed out of trying a coracle for the first time so need to return in the future to put that right! Really good mix of Cymraeg and English from the race ‘master of ceremonies’, I thought.

Other places in Aberteifi that were good for the Cymraeg I found were (i) the tourist info in Theatrr Mwldan, (ii) Castell Henllys (good place to grab a coffee and cake), and (iii) the garage up at Eglwyswrw (near Castell Henllys).

Also, the café at Poppit sands had staff wearing the ‘Cymraeg spoken’ badges (little orange ones I recall?) , so would likely be good for it in there also.

Diolch pawb!

2 Likes