Addressing divinities

I know it’s in a few Bob Delyn A’r Ebillion songs, so Twm Morys for one is still using it :slight_smile:

1 Like

We use it often, especially with the dog during an energetic fetch session when we want him to let go of the stick!

Here is Ceiri, in one of his favourite places during one of his favourite pastimes.

6 Likes

Interesting thought, but actually no, they don’t. But throwing in a middle name during a talking to (as in any language I guess) will show that you are serious. :wink:

2 Likes

Loving this thread.

I prefer to be referred to in the third person…

The Divine Sharon o Gaernarfon loves this thread.

7 Likes

I think that’s in fact the Italian formal way of addressing someone.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Problems getting into Slack

:joy:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr,

Great picture and chuffed about dyro - all those years at schools saying gweiddi’r arglwydd, the yn oes oesoedd version, make it seem like an old friend.

Yup, the third person feminine is Italy’s “chi” :smiley:

I think she got in in the end :blush:

3 Likes

This reminded me of a Romanichal (English Romani Gypsy) joke I came across online:

Two Romanichals were adrift in mid-ocean on a raft, after their ship went down. The first lifted his arms to the heavens and cried "Oh Lord, if you get me out of this, I'll give you both my trailers, two piles of copper pipe and a whole set of Crown Derby." The second, hearing this, then raised his own arms and said "Lord, if you save me, I'll give you six trailers, ten piles of scrap, and seven sets of Crown Derby!" The first looked at him and said "Hang on, you haven't got six trai- ", but the second cut in quickly and hissed "Kecker! Mandy's jeein' the gaira!
The Anglo-Romani punchline is something like "Shut up! I'm feeding the guy a line!" -- on the basis that not even God understands Anglo-Romani. Which then leads me to two other thoughts. One, the serious one, is that you can see that the syntax and grammar of the Anglo-Romani is basically just straightforward English -- it's only the words that are changed, in line with @mcbrittany's observations on French word-order in Breton. Secondly, you could probably tell this with the punchline in Welsh, although I imagine you might have to substitute a holiday cottage and a whole stack of love spoons for the trailers and the Crown Derby :)

ETA: Although telling it in Welsh might offend any who think Welsh in point of fact to be God’s own language :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have just realised that parents of small children often refer to themselves in the 3rd person, don’t they?

“Now come on darling [or “you little horror”], Mummy wants you to eat your breakfast nicely…” or whatever.

Sounds odd, from a distance, as it were, but I suspect we’ve all done it in that sort of situation. Must be something that “kicks in”. (Perhaps not in Cymraeg, though).

1 Like

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Excuse me while I go into the corner and fall down laughing.

As you observe, some divinities are tetchier than others, and I know for a fact that Sara Kali would demand chi lest she send some of her thugees after you in retribution for your boorish behavior. Or maybe that’s just for men, as she’s the patron of women in her (slightly) lighter aspects and would be much more chatty and informal. Yep, I think I can get away with ti

Sheesh, now I’ll never get this topic out of my head… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s just as well SSiW isn’t a conventional evening class.
‘So, what did you learn in Welsh class this week?’
“Um…’ :rofl:

6 Likes

“Oh, now look what you’ve done - you’ve made Daddy talk about himself in the third person again!”

6 Likes

Actually you’re right! I can’t recall ever hearing anyone doing this in Cymraeg!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

My son (about six at the time) said of a family friend ‘Why does she always talk like she’s being someone else?’ He meant this third person thing, that I clearly never got the hang of.
She still does it to them all now, and all three do a double take when she does it. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

But Cymraeg is the laguage of Heaven!! :angel:

5 Likes

In the otherwise-informal U.S., that’s definitely the way to let children of any age (including adult ones) know they’re about to get a dead serious lecture; and if you throw not only the middle name, but also the family name into the mix, s/he’ll know there’s BIG trouble coming.

2 Likes

OK you win! So that means that learning Cymraeg is the direct route there…??:smiley::wink:

Reminds me of the time Nigel Owens addressed Chris Robshaw as Christopher when he appeared unhappy with the referee’s decision. End of discussion!

1 Like