Advice! Pembrokeshire

I currently live and work in Pembrokeshire and am enthusiastic about becoming bilingual. I have almost completed course one and would like some advice about how to proceed. Should I enrol on an evening course in Pems/Carmarthen? At which level?
Or should I simply aim to complete course two with a view to completing Boot Camp next summer?

Or should I try to complete course two whilst attending an evening course.

I have discovered on the forum that fellow learners currently meet up in Carmarthen and am contemplating joining this group. However, it would involve a long trip and I might struggle to attend with work commitments.
I have enjoyed working through the lessons (I still find many parts tricky) despite, regrettably, hating second language Welsh Lessons during my schooling!

Cofion!

I have just looked on the weekly email (which you can subscribe to if you wish by heading to the FAQ page and click on the “How can I get access to the SSiW weekly email?” link) and there is a meet listed in Tenby Every Wednesday from 11am at the Bay Tree Café, Tudor Square, Tenby. Whether this meet still happens or not I’m not sure, but hopefully if anyone here knows the answer they will come on and tell you!

There was a meet in Haverfordwest at one point, but it looks like this meet has been discontinued.
Gav

1 Like

What part of Pembs are you in? Is it worth your looking at Ceredigion also for groups? There are bound to be other learners’ groups that meet that are nothing to do with SSiW (on Bootcamp in April, for example, we went to have coffee with a group that meets at the Theatr Mwldan in Aberteifi). So it could be worth your doing a bit of digging in your local area (through the library? or via the local Menter group?) If you can’t attend a group, can you find local Welsh speakers to practise with you? As my father in law says: “Ymarfer yw’r peth.”

I came to the forum to ask advice about courses last summer, and there was some very helpful and useful information on that thread:smile: Evening classes in Cardiff
I know some people have combined SSiW and ‘traditional’ classes, but a common issue has been teachers telling them they are ‘wrong’ (e.g. for saying ‘dw i’n moyn’ instead of ‘dw i eisiau’). But if you’re the sort of person who can let that wash over you, and you’re keen to move on with the more formal and grammatical side of things, then I wouldn’t let that stop you.

In the end, I didn’t go to classes - I pressed ahead with SSiW (and some other things, which I’ve listed in that thread), and now I’ve bypassed the traditional course route altogether. But that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for you to do - that will depend on what you want and how you think you learn best.

But good luck, whichever you choose - you sound as though you are determined to do it, so I’m sure you will!

2 Likes

If you go for classes I wouldn’t advise Mynediad. You have done level one with SSIW. You did (struggle with) Welsh ail iaith at school. Both mean you are not a complete beginner. And attitude counts for a great deal. You WANT to learn .

Definitely aim for Bootcamp next year.

Huw Marshall did only SSIW for six months before coming to Bootcamp and started on Sylfaen 2 the September afterwards. Within a year he had passed the Mynediad and Sylfaen exams. People skip whole levels. People don’t do classes at all.

Billigog is a stalwart of the Carmarthen group but also meets up with a learner (?SSIW learner) in Whitland regularly (I think). I’m sure you could join in too.

Aim for big, aim for high. Go for it!

3 Likes