American learners - and everyone else - you've got to see this!

Yay!!! We think youā€™re brilliant!

2 Likes

Awesome - lovely to see you on the forum, Geordan - now I suppose Iā€™m going to have to watch American Interior, or Sara will give me a hard timeā€¦:wink:

Whereabouts are you in America? Have you checked out the map yet? :sunny:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s, er, SSiW learners in three parallel earths, of courseā€¦ :scream:

3 Likes

Gee, @aran , I never looked on this this way ā€¦it is crowdy, which I love to the bits!

@grdnlyb croeso yma o fi hefyd. Tiā€™n siarad yn da iawn!

Iā€™m glad you came. Seing your video (as you could see in previous post Iā€™ve made) my first thought was ā€œThis woman should come on here!ā€ and Iā€™m glad you came (finally - hehe) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just watched your video - how wonderful and inspiring for us all. Tell us a little bit about why your are learning Welsh. Anything you tell us is bound to inspire us even more.

Longyfarchiadau,

Justin

2 Likes

May I point you to the thread Why are you learning Welsh? @grdnlyb

Maybe you find some inspiration there too and the others will gladly read your story! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m the aged crone from a few posts up with bad ears, bad eyes and messed up lungs, too many strong opinions and too much to say! I did once know quite a lot of Cymraeg, mainly reading and writing rather than Saying! (We learned that way in those days!) Having forgotten most and moved to Scotland, suffering hiraeth, I turned to S4C as a treatment and SSiW when I realised how little I could understand!!
As well as the map, may I turn your attention to the fact that, the UK Government having shown signs of starving our one TV channel (S4C) of funds, I started a petition for those of us not in Wales

Do sign if you agree.
I admire your fluency and will now shut up!!
Oh, Croeso!! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Aran! I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t join sooner ā€“ I had meant to get around to it but I never did. Iā€™ve seen the map, thatā€™s so cool! I think Iā€™ve tried to put my location there before but was unsuccessful for some reason. Iā€™ll be sure to add my location (Cleveland, Ohio) to it, though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! Iā€™m sure your Welsh will come back to you with practice, just keep at it. And, I signed the petition, too ā€“ that was an awesome idea

1 Like

We tried it as an ā€˜add yourselfā€™ map, but got a lot of odd stuff! - so now itā€™s in the safe hands of @Sionned (who is over your side of the pond herself!) - once she sees this, sheā€™ll get you added - and it looks as though youā€™ve got a bunch of people pretty close to you - hope some of them turn out to be still actively learningā€¦ :sunny:

Short article on Golwg360:

2 Likes

This really does seem to have caught the imagination of the byd Cymraeg.

5 Likes

As you say, Aran, a fabulous video!

1 Like

Hi, Geordan! That was amazingā€‹:tada::clap:!!! Do you have an iPhone? Would you like to try a Welsh FaceTime? I find Skype really awkward. (Or regular phone call would do :slight_smile: I havenā€™t tried Google + yet. FaceTime seems so simple. PM me if youā€™d like to set it up and we can exchange phone numbers. Llongyfarhiadu!

1 Like

Geordan,

Dai iawn !
Saw your interview about Gruff Rhys in LINGO NEWYDD / Ebrill-Mai 2015 / rhifyn95 / tudalen un deg wyth.
Yr wyf dysgwr Cymraeg hefyd. (Nid at eich lefel, eto!)

Tom
Rockford, Illinois

1 Like

Thanks for reading the interview, Tom. Keep going with the Cymraeg & let me know if you need someone to practice with !

2 Likes

Sorry itā€™s taken me so long to reply. But that sounds great! I canā€™t figure out how to send a PM for the life of me, so would you mind PMing me instead? Iā€™ve been super busy lately with work and school, but maybe we could set up a chat for the future ?

1 Like

@grdnlyb hello again.

I believe it would be useful if you would check the topic Really useful ā€œHow toā€ stuff and other great posts where you can find many useful things on how to do something on this forum and there is also list of useful topics which @seren has made for us all. But for the time being on how to send a PM, here you are: Sending a personal message (PM).

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

I love it! I am here in Los Angeles, and looking for Cornish speakers (who struggle a wee bit less than than I, being a newbie).

LA is one of the worldā€™s most diverse cities. I know there are hidden Celts in our midst.

I had a best girlfriend when I was in my early twenties who spoke Welsh, as did her parents. I wanted to learn, but both pagents were hard of hearing and spoke REALLY loudly. And as I was young and impatientā€¦

Is there a Skype appointment thread? Iā€™m on iTalk but alas no people who kamsel Kernewek are listed. I had to pull strings to get Cornish on their drop down menu.

Maybe I need to start a California thread?

Uh. I just found the map!

1 Like