American learners - and everyone else - you've got to see this!

As you say, Aran, a fabulous video!

1 Like

Hi, Geordan! That was amazing​:tada::clap:!!! Do you have an iPhone? Would you like to try a Welsh FaceTime? I find Skype really awkward. (Or regular phone call would do :slight_smile: I haven’t tried Google + yet. FaceTime seems so simple. PM me if you’d like to set it up and we can exchange phone numbers. Llongyfarhiadu!

1 Like

Geordan,

Dai iawn !
Saw your interview about Gruff Rhys in LINGO NEWYDD / Ebrill-Mai 2015 / rhifyn95 / tudalen un deg wyth.
Yr wyf dysgwr Cymraeg hefyd. (Nid at eich lefel, eto!)

Tom
Rockford, Illinois

1 Like

Thanks for reading the interview, Tom. Keep going with the Cymraeg & let me know if you need someone to practice with !

2 Likes

Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. But that sounds great! I can’t figure out how to send a PM for the life of me, so would you mind PMing me instead? I’ve been super busy lately with work and school, but maybe we could set up a chat for the future ?

1 Like

@grdnlyb hello again.

I believe it would be useful if you would check the topic Really useful “How to” stuff and other great posts where you can find many useful things on how to do something on this forum and there is also list of useful topics which @seren has made for us all. But for the time being on how to send a PM, here you are: Sending a personal message (PM).

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

I love it! I am here in Los Angeles, and looking for Cornish speakers (who struggle a wee bit less than than I, being a newbie).

LA is one of the world’s most diverse cities. I know there are hidden Celts in our midst.

I had a best girlfriend when I was in my early twenties who spoke Welsh, as did her parents. I wanted to learn, but both pagents were hard of hearing and spoke REALLY loudly. And as I was young and impatient…

Is there a Skype appointment thread? I’m on iTalk but alas no people who kamsel Kernewek are listed. I had to pull strings to get Cornish on their drop down menu.

Maybe I need to start a California thread?

Uh. I just found the map!

1 Like

It might also be interesting to test a classified ad or two - if anyone notices one and knows any Cornish speakers, they’re bound to tell them… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Geordan was on S4C last night, on a documentary about the American election! Well worth a watch. (Who knew there were so many Welsh-speakers in Ohio!)

3 Likes

The only Cornish speaker I know of here in the section for Cymraeg is @HowlsedhesServices. I think he is in Cornwall, but I may have misunderstood. He may be able to exchange Cornish with you, perhaps in the ‘Other Languages’ section? I suppose there is no Cornish language TV or Radio?

2 Likes

I have a Cornish-speaking friend (who also speaks Welsh) who isn’t on here. He’s very keen on sharing the language. Want me to pass on your details? If you do, PM me and I’ll pass them on.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @henddraig. I see a comment from him now! I’ll PM and test the waters.

Absolutely! I may be too green, but it’s worth a try. Thank you @sarapeacock.

1 Like

And here she is again (I think):

About 22m into the programme for about 4 minutes. Da iawn!

(Yes, I was surprised how many Welsh speakers Gary managed to find - was it him on S4C as well? I hope Radio Cymru’s / S4C’s travel budget hasn’t been blown! :slight_smile: ).

On the theme of the presidential election, there is another interesting one on BBC Cymru Fyw today about Charles Hughes who’s parents came from Tredegar and who narrowly lost the 1916 US presidential election to Woodrow Wilson. The interesting bit was that if he had won, then the President of the US, the Prime Minister of Australia (Billy Hughes of Caergybi) and the Prime Minister of the UK - David Lloyd George, would have all been Welsh speaking country leaders at the same time.

3 Likes

It looks like it’s the same interview - I think the travel budget has been carefully used to get 2 programmes for (almost) the price of one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fascinating! - We would then have been “…three nations separated by two common languages” :slight_smile:

Interesting word that - “arlywydd” - is it more than co-incidence that it is similar to “arglwydd” (“lord”), I wonder?

1 Like

the root for arlywydd apparently goes back to llyw - rudder, helm or more recently a steering wheel and llywydd is a pilot, captain or ruler. wrth y llyw is an expresion for at the helm and rhaglywydd is or has been used for regent, vice-president or president elect.

Arglwydd or arlwydd is a bit messier. GPC suggests ar + glwydd, because there is/was another variant of arglwydd - culwydd which means the same thing, but there isn’t a recorded glwydd. There is llwydd for success or prosperity and that would work wouldn’t it. Also Llwyd is not just grey, but way back could mean, grey haired or old. - perhaps grey haired, old and succesful are linked?

Something is hinting at Llaw having a link in both of these, but that’s a wild one to throw in (llyw and llwy or rudder and spoon are things you might hold with your llaw or hand) - llaw ar y llyw (hand on the rudder) - a route to success (llwydd).

2 Likes

This is fabulous - love this sort of etymology.

2 Likes

forgot about llywodraeth as well - I love it when words link together. I also like the fact that in English we are governed by a government, but in Welsh we could imagine that we have an institution to steer us or simply do the steering - philosophically quite a difference.

1 Like