An admission!

Currently on holiday with plenty of time to think about going back over past lessons (although these will be the new challenges) so started randomly going through Level 3 and both pleasantly surprised how well I do on some and surprisingly undepressed when I get things wrong (that was not the case when I was going through them originally when I got really, really depressed every time I made a mistake). So, being able to hold conversations and start conversations in Welsh and knowing some people who I have never spoken English to I feel in a good place. However, I have got myself into a major strop over, can you believe, the song at the beginning of each challenge! Yes, I need coffee in the morning and coffee has a lovely smell, but I don’t understand anything else at all. And, if I think the song is about black coffee, coffi du, then why is it coffi doo? Help, what am I hearing? As an aside, I can’t view ClicS4C here so am also cold turkeying on the fact I can’t see Pobol y Cwm. Perhaps I can lose myself in the Michael Jackson show tonight at the hotel - okay, perhaps not.

2 Likes

Hi Peter, I’m currently on holiday too, with even more time as I can’t sleep!

Your question’s been part answered in another thread here: Understanding the words in the introductory song
This contains a link to a YouTube video with lyrics in Welsh and English.

And if you want them written out so you can learn them word for word and impress your friends, try this link: https://www.gtleisure.co.uk/welshsongs/coffidu.htm

Happy holidays!

4 Likes

That’s just the famous Gog pronunciation I’m afraid :joy:

3 Likes

Not just Gog - Ffestiniog Gog to boot! :joy:

3 Likes

I really must spend some time there. I secretly love the accent, even though I speak the southern variety.

3 Likes

Dydd 'di dod i ben,
a dwi methu dod i lawr.
Dwi’n troi a throsi yn fy gwely,
o tydi cysgu ddim yn hawdd.

Coffi du, coffi du,…

2 Likes

What a coincidence.
I happened to see a video where some guys seemed to be showing on purpose this town name sign - while driving and then standing on the rails at the station - just as if there was something special or funny about it.

So just yesterday I was trying to figure out what was the matter with this town, but I didn’t succeed.
You probably know!
What is so peculiar about it?

And while we’re here: is there any video or whatever showing a few people speaking with different accents?

2 Likes

I’m very fond of Blaenau Ffestiniog. I worked there for some years back in the late 90s teaching IT to adults. It’s a little odd because it has an urban feel, even though it’s not very big and is surrounded by wonderful countryside. It developed solely due to slate mining and the hills are scarred by the huge mines which are now (mostly) closed and are being developed as tourist attractions.

The accent is unique but, sadly, looked down on by some native Welsh speakers as being working class. I’m not sure why but many successful Welsh language bands have emerged from Blaenau, including Anweledig and Llwybr Llaethog.

2 Likes

Thanks, Margaret!

Although at this point I guess the fact it’s actually a Llwybr Llaethog videoclip is probably…the main reason!
(I don’t really know much about bands biographies and geography of Wales - yet - so it’s all good to know!)

Blaenau Ffestiniog is just one of those places that has a very close community and a rich history, and the people there are extremely proud of their heritage - unique rather than peculiar! (although I’m sure there are people who would say peculiar is the right word!).

As Margaret said, it is an old slate mining town and was often the butt of jokes for being the “hole in the Snowdonia National Park” - the town itself is not in the Park although it is surrounded by it. This was because being counted as within the Park would have affected industry there. As the old quarries closed, the town became very poor and run-down (another reason it was looked down on by others), but the strong community spirit is turning things around now and there are lots of initiatives going on. It’s one of those towns that appear tough on the outside but is actually very friendly - and especially so if you speak Welsh (of any accent!).

Also as Margaret said, it is a hotbed for talent, both musically and literary, and there are an awful lot of extremely talented people from there. I’ve had some memorable times in Blaenau with many of them that I’m lucky to have as friends!

5 Likes

PS - as far as videos go, I can offer you two links that might be of interest.
I work for Cwmni Da and we make TV programmes. There are short clips of some of these on our website and our YouTube channel. You’ll hear a lot of different accents from all over Wales but for an authentic Blaenau accent, look out for clips of “Darn Bach o Hanes” with Dewi Prysor (author, poet, musician, football-fanatic!)

Cwmni Da website

Cwmni Da YouTube channel

2 Likes

Seems like a town I’d like to visit. :slight_smile:
But the accent sounds quite funny…heh heh heh!
It seems a mix of Swedish and the dialect of Brescia province and a tiny bit of some variants of Piemontese (the area where I live). :joy:

Which is Beca Lyne-Pirkis’s accent?
Maybe it’s because the topic is easier for me but it seems easier to understand than Dewy Prysor.
Casserole, Casserole! And mascarpone too! And oh, by the way, I’d love to eat that Tiffin Mêl Crwybr!

Beca comes from Cardiff :smiley:

1 Like