Anglo-Polish actor from 'Parch' learning Welsh with SSiW

I have to say that Parch, currently in its second series on S4C, is one of my favourite ever TV programmes. It’s just brilliant, and I was delighted to read that Wanda Opalinska, who plays one of the characters, has not only fallen in love with Wales but is using the SSiW app to learn Welsh!

If you’re here on the forum, Wanda, I hope you’ll pop up and say ‘Hello’. A big fan right here!

http://www.s4c.cymru/caban/?p=14458&lang=en

5 Likes

That is rather lovely and genuinely cool… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wanda says on Twitter that your lovely message, Dee, might just make her brave enough to join the forum… so she’s not far away…

Maybe if a few more people say how much they love Parch, we can lure her in…:wink:

2 Likes

Not only is Parch my favourite Welsh TV programme (I can understand it, with shifty glances at the subtitles) but Oksana (Wanda) and her partner Elfed are my favourite characters. If there are any further series, I hope they get even more of the action, because they steal the show. Of course, it would help if Oksana’s Welsh was seen to gradually improve, so that less English needed to be spoken around her…

3 Likes

And the positive endorsements for SSIW keep flowing

“Dwi 'di bod yn defnyddio’r ap ‘Say Something in Welsh’ ar fy ffôn, felly dwi’n gallu dysgu wrth dacluso’r tŷ neu goginio, dyma’r ffordd orau dwi wedi ffeindio. Mae wedi newid popeth i fi, mae’n ffordd bositif o ddysgu’r iaith,” meddai.

3 Likes

Oddly, that’s an almost exact copy of an article first published by the BBC around 6 months ago. In fact, if you follow the link to the original, you end up at the new story.

I read it yesterday and spent a long time thinking “I’ve read this before somewhere”, before finally twigging.

1 Like

Quiet day in the news office maybe, but still a good plug again I suppose.

1 Like

Reviving a very old thread to say I’ve just started watching Parch from the beginning of the current season, and am really loving it – but pretty confused about the relationships between some of the characters. Not the Myf-Terwyn-Eurig entanglement: that becomes clear pretty quickly, even to the otherwise uninitiated at this late stage. But some of the other details/backstory are completely fuzzy. Anybody able to fill me in – for example, what is the connection between Sheridan and the dig that Terwyn and Susan(?) are doing?

I’ve watched it since the very beginning, so I can answer some questions, but I won’t answer that one. It was a new angle introduced in the last series, and it will become clear later on. Enjoy!

I wish it were available on DVD. I would buy the whole lot!

I have watched the second half of the second series and all of the third, and would love to be able to catch up on the episodes I didn’t see. I do wish S4C would repeat more dramas, I’m sure there are complicated rights reasons but it seems such a shame when you can’t get them on DVD either, and they repeat so much else seemingly endlessly!

Spoilers below only for those who have finished series three …
I was a complete wreck, maybe because I didn’t see the first series I really didn’t see that coming!

Isy Suttie is Elis James’s wife/gilfriend. Lucky her!