Answering "yes" and "no" in the present

Too funny, three of us answering at the same time!

2 Likes

nadw and nagw are both short for ‘nag ydw’. Both are correct just different ways of shortening.

3 Likes

You are spot on! You can use “ydw” for the 2nd person as well as yourself.

Just to add to the confusion (mua ha ha ha haaah!), we use “ydyn” for “ni” and “nhw”! Seriously though, if you’re not that far into the course yet @gavinM then DONT WORRY! When you reach this far it’ll be plain sailing for you!

3 Likes

What an “evil” Halloween laugh. - hehe :slight_smile:

Oh, and diolch @faithless78, you always come to an aid.

1 Like

Tatjana, you seem to be turning from a Welsh learner to a Welsh teacher,
I am really impressed.

Cheers J.P.

Thank you, but don’t be. Go and read here Tatjana - Progress reports and you’ll see there’s nothing to be impressed about. What I’ve answered here in this topic is something what one should know if you wake him/her in the middle of the night especially after so much material I already went through.

But, once again, Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

“Ydw” is yes to questions such as “Wyt ti eisiau cwrw?”, “Ydach chi’n mynd?”. etc. So the questions tend to be in the 2nd person, the answers are in the 1st person, typically, unless you are talking to yourself :smile:

5 Likes

Oh, well, I often do. That probably explains why I’ve written thingys above in the first place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t start worrying about that until you answer “ydy” :slight_smile:

Interestingly enough I tend to answer “ja” when someone asks me something …

Slovenian habit, not much to be done about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gollum would answer ‘ydyn’.

4 Likes

Love it! How do you say “precious” in Welsh? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From the simple question to the Lord of Rings! Am I “Master” then? - hehe

And precious … I found those two words: “drud” and “gwerthfawr” from one little “University” dictionary. Which one suits better? :slight_smile: Or is it none of them which does. :slight_smile:

Not only a Slovenian habit, Tatjana, but a South African one as well! “Ja” is “yes” in the Afrikaans language, and I keep finding myself answering in the affirmative with “ja”. (Even though Afrikaans is not my first language, and I haven’t lived in SA for more than 30 years). Old habits die hard!

1 Like

Agreed.

Interesting. I didn’t know this. Diolch. (Something new every day.) :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr, pawb, for your VERY helpful replies.

Question from me to myself: Wyt ti’n deall nawr?
Yr ateb: Ydw!

4 Likes

Da iawn! Ti wedi dysgu rywbeth newydd eto. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mmmmm… as Louis says, 2nd person question (‘Wyt ti’n mynd?’) will give you Ydw as a response (‘Ydw, dwi’n mynd’) - but if you actually need a 2nd person response, you’ll need to shift:

‘Ydw i’n gallu gwneud o?’

‘Wyt, rwyt ti’n gallu gwneud o.’

:sunny:

3 Likes

So might Her Brittanic Majesty (and I don’t mean Thatcher) :wink:

2 Likes

And Queen Victoria might have replied “Nac ydyn” on being asked whether she liked the joke.

2 Likes