Any tips on rolling/trilling rs?

Hello Forum!
Does anyone have any tips on rolling/trilling the Spanish r? So, for example in perro or ferrocarril… (What kind of horrible person invented that word?!)
Trying to do it I make more of a z noise and sound like some kind of crazy bumblebee.

I’ve watched many Youtube videos, and, well, tried, but I’m having no luck so far.

Does anyone here have any tips on how they learnt to do it?
I’m a British English speaker, so the whole ‘say the word better’ thing doesn’t work for me.

I thought I’d pluck up the courage to ask on here since I’ve asked questions about Welsh before, and read other people doing so, and everyone’s been lovely.
Surely I’m not the only one with this problem.

So, any tips?
Nienor

1 Like

Common issue - my standard answer (the same as for Welsh!) is here:

:slight_smile:

Someone – I thought it was Catrin? – posted a link to this somewhere else on the forum:
https://www.supercocoapp.com/post/how-to-roll-your-rs/
I have to say it didn’t quite work for me – but then I do have a very slight tongue-tie, which can prevent you being able to roll them. What it did do for me was get me trying out trills in different parts of my mouth – I have always been able to do a French (uvular, back of the mouth) trill, and I was able to experiment with getting a slightly more forward part of my tongue to make a trill in a somewhat more forward part of my mouth. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than I’ve managed in the previous lo-these-many-years.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I didn’t see that, thank you for sharing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that looks really fab, and detailed. I’ll check it out in the morning, because right now I’m too tired.

1 Like

I have just seen your username.

“…And on it they wrote, in runes of Doriath: Turin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga.
And beneath they wrote also: Nienor Niniel. But she was not there, nor was it ever known whither the cold waters of Teiglin had taken her.”

Something like that, anyway, from memory.

2 Likes

Ah, you caught me! First one to do so in these couple of years of using Nienor online. Yes, I am a secret Tolkien fan, and you clearly are too! (Though maybe not so secretly :slight_smile:) Remembering those lines is certainly impressive, far more than I could do.
‘Something like that’? I’m just checking my copies of the Silmarillion and the Children of Húrin and you were very nearly word perfect.
(It says here ‘and thereon was carved’ instead of ‘and on it they wrote’, but otherwise it was exact, and that might even be a difference between different editions.)
Perhaps in hindsight I should have named myself after a character with a more pleasant fate, but it works well, not seeming to obviously fictional or recognisable - I could hardly use Éowyn, however much I might want to.

2 Likes