Anyone else doing the Cornish course?

That’s @polhodge-1 and he’ll be pleased to hear it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, probably. :wink: I’ve met Pol at a few Cornish language events and he’s lots of fun, especially when retelling Cornish legends and “tall tales” with gusto!

3 Likes

Ah, yes, I can imagine the fun you two had, retelling and listening to the Cornish legends and tales! :raised_hands: I’m sure Pol is a vivid tale-teller who can paint colorful pictures with his voice and words. I wish I could attend such a Cornish language event, too…

1 Like

Hi, I am a Breton living in Spain, and I am enjoying this course. All the more so than it completes nicely my Breton. I’d be glad to exchange with anyone through all means possible.

3 Likes

Dydh da, ov vy Daniel. Fatla genough? Da yw gena vy kowsell kernewek ha my a vynn y gonvedhes. :grin:

should translate to hello, I am Daniel. How are you? (multiple readers). I like to speak cornish and I want to understand it.

On to lesson 3 now, would be keen to chat and practice online if anyone is up for it?

2 Likes

Dydh da Daniel, Courtenay ov vy. Da yw genev vy kewsel Kernewek ynwedh :smile:

I’d love for us to have a general conversation practice thread like the Manx learners have here, if anyone feels brave (and fluent) enough to attempt it…

5 Likes

I would certainly be up for it, although my cornish is very basic at the moment :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah practicing Manx on the thread has definitely been useful! (I just copied the Welsh thread too :grinning:) …and tbh it involves a lot of Game of Thrones memes in Manx :joy: :joy:

1 Like

http://www.cornishbirdinthesticks.co.uk/wpimages/wp7489119b_05_06.jpg

Nadelik Lowen pub huni ha Blydhen Nowydh Da dhywgh hwi oll! :star2:
(Merry Christmas everybody and a Happy New Year to you all)

4 Likes

Can’t say for certain yet, but I have heard a rumour (from someone who knows someone) that the next 10 Cornish lessons should be uploaded soon… :grinning: @aran, do you have any further info about this?

2 Likes

Haven’t heard anything from the Cornish lads for a while - the tech is all in place - it may need to wait until we can afford to put some cash in to support their volunteer efforts - which would probably mean waiting until next year…

2 Likes

Thanks, Aran. I was simply told they were “working towards uploading another 10 lessons, which should be available soon”, but that could mean anything…

2 Likes

Greetings to onen hag Oll!
I have just completed SSI Cornish, Season 1, lesson 7 and am very much enjoying the experience.
Concerning the next series, I am prepared to put my hand into my pocket and contribute to this worthy cause. Having benefited from a free series of lessons, tiz the least I can do by way of a 'Meur ras" to Pol and the team.
Matti Clarke’s (online)TV crowd-founder campaign appears to be progressing; perhaps the SSI-C could consider something similar or, perhaps, have the course(s) shown on Matti’s channel?
Just a few thoughts, for consideration.
My a wra Kernow yn (December)…which basic language group/class is closest to Probus?

2 Likes

Dydh da ha dynnergh dhis, Pincher! Splann yw dha weles (it’s splendid to see you)… there aren’t enough Kernewegoryon around here (yet). :grinning:

I would love to see more SSiCornish lessons too, and would also be willing to support them financially — unfortunately they do seem to have stalled. We’ve occasionally heard rumours that new lessons are being prepared, but nothing’s been forthcoming. It doesn’t help that the Cornish language office that was behind the first set of lessons had all its funding cut a few years ago.

There are still some useful resources on their website: Learn Cornish Now — including, I’ve just confirmed, this map that shows where all the current classes and conversations groups are. The closest to you in Probus would be either Truro or St Austell. According to the map, there are classes for beginners at both locations — click on the red “map pins” and it gives you details and the teacher’s email address.

Both towns also have a regular Yeth an Werin (the green “map pins”), which is an informal Cornish conversation group. They always welcome all levels and are lots of fun. Hope you do get to one or more of them while you’re there! :star2:

1 Like

I think the idea of doing some crowd-funding for Cornish is a great one - I’ll ask Pol and Mike about it, and see if it would be a help… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Courtney and Aran - many thanks for responding; it made me happy.
I will check the map, Courtenay, and endeavour to make it to one or more of the meetings. May brave it on my newly-acquired R6…rain & frost dependent, of course. Me being a fragile old Granddad, and all that :wink:

2 Likes

I’m having a conversation with Pol about it at the moment - sounds as though they might be very close to doing some recording :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:
That would be nice. It would be nice if they recorded something whilst I was back in Kernow…it would be a great experience to witness a live recording. Mustn’t get ahead of myself, now

:joy:

2 Likes

Well, I’m expecting to be at the St Austell Yeth an Werin on Monday 3rd December when I’ll be in Cornwall briefly, so if you’re around then and can make it that day, it’d be great to meet you! :slight_smile:

You said “back in Kernow” — is that where you’re from originally, out of interest? I’m Australian myself (now living near London), but I have Cornish ancestry, which is how I came to be interested in the language.

My wife will be there as our daughter’s first child is due that day & our son’s eldest daughter will celebrate her birthday the next day. Sadly😔, I am unable to make it. I hope to arrive around the 17th, which means that you and I are unlikely to meet😔. Not doing well, am I?
I am from a long Cornish (& Scottish) lineage and was raised ‘down West’ (W. of Truro, that is) as well as St. Awfull as the town is more commonly known nowadays…mainly due to v.poor town development decisions.
Enjoy your time there, visit the brewery’s Hicks bar and warn the language group that a crazy Cornishman may be joining them if they have a meeting between 17 Dec & 4 Jan.
Phew, that was a mouthful; sorry about that.

1 Like