BBC Radio Cymru

I appreciate him, Gavin…loads of us old codgers dŵ’ dŵ dŵ, ia ia ia… :smile: There are those who said Siân Cothi’s show was lacking also: idiot! :wink:

1 Like

It could just be me but it seems as though Radio Cymru is putting more of their stuff on iTunes…which I appreciate very much.

1 Like

I enjoy Tommo. Really enjoy the C2 stuff too. Good music and chat (not that I understand a great deal of that yet!), especially Huw Stephens and Lisa Gwilym.

1 Like

Hello all. So happy that you enjoyed the lovely ‘Becca Bingo’! She’s still going strong with plenty of adventures ahead of her and the gang! Hoping BBC Radio Cymru will commission series 2 very soon. Please let them know how much you enjoyed her company and that you’d like her back! Twitter @bbcradiocymru or email cymrufyw@bbc.co.uk They need to hear your voice ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/32115836

2 Likes

I know we don’t talk politics here, but I’ve just noticed that there are a few party election broadcasts in the Radio Cymru schedules. Only 5 minutes each, so not too much torture to bear. :slight_smile:

I might give the Plaid one a spin …

1 Like

Well, since I have mentioned Plaid, might as well mention this interview with Leanne Wood in the Guardian:

She is apparently not a first-language Welsh speaker, but is learning.
The interviewer mentions that she (the interviewer) grew up in a Welsh-language community.

2 Likes

Leanne Wood attended one of the early Tresaith SSIW bootcamps. She’s perfectly comfortable in conversational Welsh and only really qualifies for learner status when it comes to complex technical policy discussions.

5 Likes

Just heard, Gaby’s voice on todays Post Cyntaf headlines. He talks about the Mediterranean drownings.

1 Like

In case anyone missed it who might have been interested:

The position of Welsh in Patagonia.

Seems there is some grounds for optimism.

(21 days left to listen at the time of writing)

4 Likes

Looking forward to Taro Post live from Pen-y-Groes today.

2 Likes

Nothing strange that people say that many times they can quite understand what’s talking about on Radio Cymru. I’m listening to it just right now and the whole parts of sentences otherwise in Cymraeg are said in English … I’ve heard some words in the sentences before to be English but the whole parts of the sentences? Interesting in deed.

1 Like

Occasionally I’ve listend to Radio Cymru and have thought to myself how well my Welsh comprehension is developing, only to realise they’ve been speaking English :frowning: It’s still a great tool to learn with though. I always have it on in the car as background noise.

3 Likes

Well, I can afford to have it as a background noise when I’m home alone but this is not many times. I could listen to it on the bus when driving home though, but I’m rather using my time to learn, doing listening practices or something similar so that I “buy” some spare time for other things which need to be done when I come home.

But, yes, I agree. It’s still good thing to listen especially Bore Cothi. Ah, but yes, a lot of English in the talk always it seams to me many times like I’d listen to myself needing constant escape in English when I don’t find the word in Cymraeg (however if I’d speak it would be rather oposite way - a lot of English with bits of Cymraeg as my vocabulary (this I established today in a best way) is realyl, raally tinny).

1 Like

I was listening to “Dan yr Wyneb” the other day, and one person who was being interviewed, while otherwise fairly fluent, spoke quite slowly, and quite often was clearly struggling for Welsh vocabulary and came out with an English expression, much more so than most people on there. I was willing her on to find the Welsh words, but often she didn’t. But chwarae teg to her: at least she was able to understand what was said to her and finish a not particularly short interview.

On another subject: Cerdd Dant was mentioned on here recently.

In this programme,

…they are talking to people around Porthcawl who have come for the Cerd Dant festival.
Although I should not have been, I was surprised at first to hear “Porthcawl” pronounced the Welsh way, instead of the English way, which is the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced before! :blush:

1 Like

Includes a short (and perhaps rare) recording near the beginning of Richard Burton speaking Welsh. (I know there are some other Richard Burton fans here).

Rhifyn arbennig o’r Talwrn wedi’i recordio ym Mhorthcawl i ddathlu ymweliad yr Ŵyl Cerdd Dant â’r dref. A special edition celebrating the Cerdd Dant Festival visiting Porthcawl.

I don’t think you have to understand it all to appreciate the humour and clever wordplay.

Dim Radio Cymru, ond son am Cerdd Dant, mae rhywun wedi dweud wrtha fi a’r fideo hon:
Cymryd eitha galluog a disglair Ryan Davies ar ffurf Cerdd Dant:

Not Radio Cymru, but talking about Cerdd Dant, someone told me about this video:
Ryan Davies’s rather brilliant and talented take on the form Cerdd Dant:

3 Likes

I love that clip of Ryan Davies! I’ve watched it lots of times and it still amuses me every time. I so wish I’d had a chance to see him when he was still alive.

This sounds fun:

20/11/2015
Oes 'Na Roc a Rôl ar Ôl?
Idris Charles, Dafydd Iwan a Caryl Parry Jones sy’n gofyn 'Oes ‘na Roc ar ôl ar Radio Cymru?’ A new panel game which tries to find out if Wales is a nation of rock and rollers.

Dydd Gwener 20 Nov 2015 12:30 GMT then available via iPlayer for up to 28 days.

2 Likes

Not Welsh, but one of the team members told this joke half-way through:

Dai is having a medical examination, and the doctor asks:

“Mr Jones, in order for me to get a full picture, could you tell me the colour of your stool?”

Dai: “Stool? We 'aven’t even gotta piano!”

2 Likes