Been away from the forum for a while I have

Yes, it was a very brief meeting. I only recognised you from across the road while I was on my meal break and thought I would quickly say hello before your bus arrived! It was good to meet you though and have a quick chat with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m one of those new learners so I don’t know you from previous times, but I did want to say diolch! for the course notes thread for level 2 south - they are invaluable and your efforts are appreciated very much :smile: :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Shwmae Samantha! You are more than welcome, and I’m glad to hear the notes are of good use to you.
I deliberately leave the English translations out of these lists so learners can find the words themselves when they review the challenges (after the first play, of course!). I find it helps further the learner to recognise the words for themselves and leaves it up to them if they wish to write the English by the words (or the phonetic pronounciations if they help at all). I did this myself when I was learning the old course, making a list called a “Raw Materials List” - an idea I got from the FAQ pages on the SSi website. The guides that existed for the old course were written in this style, and showed me how you would spell the words if they were written, so I would put the English by them as I learned these new words and it helped me to retain them in memory. Of course, different methods work for different people, but this was what worked for me when I was doing the Old course, so I continued the style of the old course guides for the new Levels as well.

It’s good to see you’re doing so well already as a new learner - although I should imagine you have been here for a whiile now. Felly, da iawn ti, dal ati a joio y gweddill o’r gwrs! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Croeso 'n ol @faithless78. I noticed your absence and hoped all was well. Glad it was and

on the diet! Also, your come-back caused @Samantha to post the above and stick a sharp dig up my back, as she only just started and is already in 2 and I am still lurking in mid-level 1 Challenges. OK, my motives are different - hiraeth treatment and re-learning, but I really must progress!!!

2 Likes

Ahh…but then you make the best progress only by moving along at the pace you’re most comfortable with don’t you? You have good reasons for taking your time and it’s important to have focus when learning, so take your time and let things flow at your pace. Before long you will be ahead from where you are now and importantly, you will retain what you’ve learned.
Diolch a gorau o lwc i chi! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, its an absolutely brilliant resource for me, because I can’t always quite hear the different sounds (there are other threads dedicated to this, so I know it’s not just me). Once I’ve seen the word/phrase written and know how it should go, I can hear it perfectly well!

I stick it all in an editable format and add the English to it - this is a useful exercise for me too - it’s kind of a little vocabulary test and it’s surprising what I can remember after doing a lesson once. I’m a pretty visual person, so it helps it stay in my head (I need all the help I can get!) :slight_smile:

@henddraig - you give me far too much credit really - I’ve been doing this for… about 3 months (!!!) and I may have motored on with the lessons (literally haha as I am lucky enough that I can listen on my work journey (apologies!)) but definitely not everything sticks! I think F78 is right, you have to go at your own pace… I think I’ll have to repeat both levels to feel confident enough to speak to someone out loud!

1 Like

Hi Gav, it’s nice to see you back! (Gav on the forum is the first step to putting the world to rights!) I’ve not been around a lot recently either - been feeling a bit down about my failure to build up a proper bit of my life in Welsh really, and having the odd impermissible thought along the lines of ‘what’s the point?’ :frowning: I expect it’ll probably pass though.

However one of these days I’m finally going to nail you down for a coffee in Y Barri, I am!

2 Likes

Ha ha! Yes, eventually you will do! But I do seem to be spending more time in Cardiff than at home if truth be told. I’m only ever here to sleep these days, ha!

2 Likes

I typed a whole message on those lines…
click here to see it!
It sort of implies, “Get with that coffee!!!” :smile: Have a micro-bootcamp!
To @Samantha I totally agree! You are much better organised that me, but I need to see what I cannot catch and reading helps me remember. It’s quite good for spelling too!!

2 Likes

Well if there is coffi I would be up for that!

I have also been feeling a bit like what is the point.
I don’t know how to get past the point where I can understand better. Also my hubby is still refusing to learn so when we go to school/do school things it has to bee in saesneg :frowning:

Great to see you back!

Good good. I thought you were looking too thin the last time I saw you.

1 Like

I think it’s just a long haul to learn a language to a high level, and understanding just comes from experience and can’t really be rushed. As long as you’re enjoying the journey, you’ll get there in the end!

Forgive me, but I’m not sure if I know you in person - don’t make Barry meet ups very often… If you’d like to have a coffee on Thurs or Fri in school time, drop me a line and we’ll see if we can fit it in! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (No guarantee, life is a bit mad…)

1 Like

No, I don’t think I have met you in person. I am in North Cardiff and do try to go to the mochyn du, but especially when it is dark I often stay in.
There is a direct train to barri so that would be easy

1 Like

That would be lovely! I also work in the medical school at the Heath Mon to Wed, and could often make time for a (quick) chat at lunch time if that would be easier for you…

Funnily enough, I hadn’t lost all that much last time I saw you, so goodness knows how I will look to you now!!

1 Like

Often around UHW but very happy to come across to Barri, especially if Gavin is around??
Next week free Fri, week after is halfterm (around most of the week but with little person), after that could prob sort most days

2 Likes

Friday I am free from 4:30pm as I’ll be working before then. It would be lovely to catch up with you too @jenny_white_378 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope you two can catch up Friday @faithless78, @jenny_white_378. I’d only have a very slim chance of fitting anything in that day anyway - but not after 3pm. Then half term is out for me. But maybe next month…?

Sorry that is too late for me as well as have to do school run then the witching hour!
Lets try again after half term x

Yes, the new super-slim Gav looks really great! It was nice to catch up with him a couple of weeks ago. I am always hopeful that he will be driving a bus that I am catching, but he has now moved on to bigger things - the bendy buses! - but on a route that I have not ever used.

Tatiana - I think that because the first Monday of August was during the Eisteddfod, and also a popular holiday time, there was no-one to go to the Mochyn Du. Phil and I were staying up near Y Fenni for the early part of that week.

2 Likes