Best S4C programmes for learners?

His book on the Welsh chapels of London is very interesting. I was lucky enough to happen upon it in our local library one day.

2 Likes

Anyone interested in the return of Gwaith Cartref tomorrow at 9.00 p.m. I found it OK, although some characters are very formulaic!

I’m waiting impatiently - I loved Gwaith Cartref! I’m waiting to see the lovely Annest Haf without tatoos! :joy: :joy:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

Wow! Not exactly fun and games! Is the scriptwriter aiming for a job at Craith or Y Gwyll? Agonising or not?
Oh, @aran I am not sure whether to set up a Gwaith Cartref thread. If you think it a good idea, can you split this thread at my previous post mentioning the program?

I’m really enjoying Craith. So scary. I watch it with the English subtitles and then try to recognize the Welsh words that I know.

2 Likes

Craith has it’s own thread now…
click here to find it!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll go over and take a look.

More Gwaith Cartref dear, dear, still dark. Will things brighten?

Not S4C, radio Cymru - Pen Ben, quiz show and they ask the questions at a good pace.

3 Likes

I’ve listened to a bit of this for the last 3 weeks and I’ve really enjoyed it.

1 Like

I enjoy Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol as the subtitles to the hymns are all in Welsh.

1 Like

Celwydd Noeth easy to undestand because all quiz questions are written down, so you have kind of auto- subtitles in Welsh. I find some questions very easy, but if it gets to music I am clueless. Object is to spot which answer is a lie! If you like quizzes or just want a program that’s pretty good for learners, try it!

4 Likes

Glad you like it :wink:

1 Like

Oh Your people make it do they? Yn dda iawn!

yes - and sometimes I help out the question wranglers!

1 Like

Just watched Celwydd Noeth – great, easy to follow (I watch most things with subtitles, even though I know I can get the gist without, because there are times you want a bit more than just the gist, but I deliberately turned them off for this and had no worries at all) – and hugely enjoyable! :smile:

1 Like

My husband and I also enjoy Celwydd Noeth. The presenter speaks so clearly and she’s lovely with the participants. The questions are fun too.

1 Like

Gwaith Cartref continues with very dark edges, although a bit of light shone this week.

Oh, my education continues. I never realisd until I watched the program on R.S.Thomas repeatd this afternoon, that he too learned Welsh and that he, too, suffered the frustration of being unable to write poetry in Cymraeg! Not, I hasten to add, that my poetry in English was ever like his!
Then, I learn of the families from Patagonia, unhappy with being citizens of Argentina, who travelled via Liverpool to Canada to set up a Welsh speaking community there!
Anyone else as ignorant as me, look for Pererindod R. S. Thomas and Lleisiau Patagonia 1902.

May be a repeat, but very easy to understand. Late Rhodri Morgan finding out about the spy in his family. “Rhodri Morgan.Ysbiwr Yn Y Teulu”

1 Like