Bilingual Welsh/Turkish play on tour in Cymru

This has to be one of the most unusual but very interesting drama productions I’ve heard of! Memet has just joined our 6 Month course to learn Welsh, and this is what it says about her on the website:

After years of repression and censorship writer Meltem Arikan moved to Wales where she feels a deep sense of belonging. In a state of personal crisis, her Turkish-speaking, repressed, rigid self, Mel, meets her Welsh-speaking, adventurous, nature-loving self, Tem, for the first time. Written by Meltem Arikan, with Welsh-language elements by Sharon Morgan, Be Aware’s new play is an exploration of belonging, identity and language. This is a bilingual production (Turkish/Welsh) with English-language access facility.

Details of the tour are at http://www.beawareproductions.com/portfolio/y-brain-kargalar/

4 Likes

@claire-ozel fancy a quick trip to Wales? :wink:

Anyone interested in going to this in Caerfyrddin? It’s on Feb 8th and 9th, and I’m planning to go. I’m not bothered which night if anyone would like to join me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as a matter of interest, unless it’s someone else with the same name, Sharon Morgan is the actress who plays that pushy new grandmother Brenda Parri in PyC. Just recently Nia Parry in her S4C series ‘Adre’ visited the actress in her home in Pontcanna - Sharon has lived in that area for 40 years+ and is a very engaging person, the complete opposite of the character she portrays. I think I recognised the avenue she lives in, having been born in an adjoining street just 5 minutes away. And as she said in the interview, Pontcanna was never as trendy once as it’s become now!

1 Like

I’ll have to watch that!

1 Like

I’m going to see this tonight. I had to call and find out what time it starts as it doesn’t say on the website, so if anyone is thinking of going:

It starts at 7.30 pm in Yr Egin (the new S4C headquarters), Heol y Coleg, Caerfyrddin SA31 3EQ.
It costs £12 and you have to pay in cash as they don’t have a card machine yet :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

I hope you got there!

1 Like

Yes, I went with a friend and it was very interesting - quite different from anything I’ve seen before.

2 Likes