Book Reviews

I was going to PM @AnnaC to thank her for her review of e-ffrindiau, which I have now bought, when I realised what I really wanted was for anyone who has come across any really useful or just good book for people who are only just starting to read yn Gymraeg, to tell us about it!
These reviews would need to be in English, but others might review more linguistically demanding books in Welsh.
This would provide a useful guide, “If you can’t understand the review, don’t get the book yet!”
I hope this thread proves of value.
Oh, I expect everyone knows about the Blodwen Jones books by Bethan Gwenas, but I doubt if they are appealing to men. In fact, I suspect there is a lack of books which men would like. Anyone help with this? Adventure? Thrillers? Science Fiction?
To @aran If nobody contributes, clearly it will wither on the vine! We do all know not to leap into trying the printed word too early in the learning process!

3 Likes

Some old stuff here: http://ssiw.pbworks.com/w/page/36027266/Fiction%20and%20Poetry

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Rob!! I searched the current Forum and only found Eisteddfod stuff. What you have linked is before my time, and very useful to have! The new Forum must have lots of gaps like that which old threads could plug!

Here’s another one:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, @henddraig! Glad you found my review useful, and I hope you enjoy the book! :slight_smile: There is another book by Lois Arnold called Sgwp which is the next level up in difficulty. I have that and the first Blodwen Jones book, but haven’t read them yet. I want to have more of handle on the “short form” verbs first. Lois Arnold also has a new book, Ffenestri, and that one is on my Christmas list. I also have “Cant y Cant”, which is about the level of e-ffrindiau, I think. It’s non-fiction, 100 essays of 100 words each on a variety of topics. It also has vocab on each page. It’s the kind of thing you can dip into at random and just read an essay at a time. I like it, but I have to say I haven’t looked at it in a while. I tend to spend my reading time on the Lingo Newydd magazine instead. (I’m trying not to read too much because I really want to do my SSiW lessons, and life has a way of interfering with my learning time! :angry: )

Next time I finish something, I’ll try to remember to come here and post a review :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That** is the thread I was looking for!

Why would that be? They’re great fun, for a male like myself…

1 Like

Sorry! Jumping to conclusions is my besetting sin!

1 Like

To anybody’s interest: @seren once did a list of useful stuff you might be interested in which was posted in “Really useful stuff” thread and one of the section of her list provides you with books and readings too.

Hope it’s of any use.

Enjoy.

1 Like

The Stori Sydyn series has some short books in a style that is quite easy for a learner. You could try Hunllef by Manon Steffan Ros.

5 Likes

I thought they were great!

1 Like

Mae’n ddrwg gen I, see grovel above! ,
To all men, sorry, I know nothing about your taste in literature!.

1 Like

She’s the girlfriend we’d all like to have had when younger … she likes Welsh, she likes books, she buys her round, and is prepared to tolerate her boyfriend’s hobbies even if they bore her stiff. :slight_smile:

1 Like