Caneuon Cymraeg

Greetings from Spain!
I’d appreciate some tips on Welsh music to complement my learning.
Can you recommend any specific Welsh singer whose lyrics are easy to follow??
Thanks in advance!
Raquel

2 Likes

Personally I’ve always found Steve Eaves one of the easiest to follow, and there are quite a lot of his songs on youtube. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Raquel,
Welcome and congratulations on your achievements so far.

I’m tagging @rob_bruce, as he is the man to ask. In the mean time you could try listening to Radio Cymru (on line) to pick someone that you like and can understand.

Personally, as a starter for clear singing I’d perhaps suggest folk singers Elin Flur or Meinir Gwilym (N. Wales) and Sian Richards or Lowri Evans (South).
Really it depends on your taste.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mary+hopkin+aderyn+pur&&view=detail&mid=E6C542C856E04305142BE6C542C856E04305142B&rvsmid=2B4FB27FCDC091EC3D912B4FB27FCDC091EC3D91&FORM=VDMCNR

Here’s a lovely song from Mary Hopkin, with some really nice local views (OK, I’m biased).

I’m sure someone else will be along to update you. :slight_smile:
PS: I think it should actually be “Aderyn Pur”, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I think the man we want is actually spelled @robbruce :slight_smile:

1 Like

H, OK. Thanks Hendrick and Sorry, Rob.

@raquel-raya-chamorro This YouTube channel has a lot of Welsh music. Many songs have the lyrics and translations.

Edited to add: I don’t know what happened to my link, but @leiafee has it in her post a few down from here!

1 Like

I started off with Celt, and also found Steve Eaves and Meinir Gwilym helpfully accessible… :slight_smile:

You might also find that browsing this monster thread might give you some good ideas or first tastes:

1 Like

Good news, guys: They both work! I have a test account from the early days of migration to this forum from the old forum software.

I don’t think I would be able to do better than Siaron’s suggestion of Steve Eaves or Aran’s of Meinir Gwilym, though I can’t really recommend listening to songs explicitly to try to understand the words - Songwriters are notorious fro stretching the language around in order to force it into shapes. Better to just let them wash over you and wait for the inevitable eureka moments when you realise that you understood what the singer was just saying. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks ever so much for your recommendations!! Now I’m spoilt for choice!!
I’ll try not to be too ambitious wanting to understand the whole thing as that’s virtually impossible and as robbruce suggests, I’d be more than pleased if I’m able to pick up the odd word…
Regards from Spain,
Raquel

1 Like

This youTube channel with lyrics and often translations is fab for a browse!

3 Likes

Hi Raquel When I started the six month course I thought listening to music would help. To be honest at first I could hardly understand a word but after 3 months I’m hearing more and more of the lyrics and one or 2 songs I think I might even know what they are singing about. Of course, bare in mind that musicians do take liberties with the language! Anyway 2 artists I recommend are Lleuwen and Meinir Gwilym. Lleuwen sings the song at the start of Level One, but she also does some more jazz tinged stuff. Meinir is more poppy but very listenable. In my opinion. Anyway, hope that helps.

2 Likes

Hi Dave!
Thanks ever so much!! I’ve always wondered who sang the starting song in Level 1!!! This style of music is just my cup of tea and I’m even able to pick up some words if I’m lucky!!!
Thanks ever so much for your recommendation!
Regards from Spain,
Raquel

1 Like