Cornel Y Siaradwyr Thornbury

This is a new topic following on from our first meetup for Coffi in Thornbury near Bristol.

1 Like

Our first meetup was held on Coffee#1 in Thornbury this afternoon. Nine of us came along to enjoy a good chat in Welsh over a Paned neu Dishgled! There was a range of abilities with about half being fluent, 2 or 3 rusty raquets, and a couple of learners (me included). A nice mix of North and South Walian too. We even broke out into ‘Calon Lan’ near the end which encouraged a lady who lives in Thornbury, but who hails from Aberteifi to pop over and say hello! Anyway, it’s great to be able to encourage those Welsh speakers to use their language outside of Wales as some of them rarely get the chance to do so otherwise.

Anyway, this was hopefully the first of many, although we’ll probably leave December out and hold our next one in the new year. Watch this space, and if you do happen to be in the area . . .

5 Likes

Superb work - well done all of you!

1 Like

Great Philg - I went to school in Thornbury (over 50 years ago!) & now live half in Bristol area & half in Caerphilly. I haven’t yet managed to get to Coed Ddu but I’m delighted to have a potential choice of 2 meetups - diolch.

1 Like

Next one probably won’t be till January, so I shall post the date and time here. Probably a Wednesday afternoon at 14:30. It would be nice to see you!

Oo Keep me posted - 'dw i’n byw yn Wotton!

1 Like

The next meetup in Thornbury is scheduled for Wed Jan 30th in Hawkes House in the centre of Thornbury. Let me know here if you are interested in coming along, I’m sure it will be good fun!

1 Like

Thanks, I have to see if I am on school duty first. Let you know nearer the date.

The next meet up is scheduled for Wednesday 30th Jan in Hawkes House (cafe/bar) in Thornbury from 14:30.

Gwych! Dwi’n edrych ymlaen ato!

Bore da
Is this meeting still on? Now that the bridge tolls have gone it is only 20 minutes from Chepstow.

Yep, still on. Hawkes House is in the middle of Thornbury in St Mary’s precinct. You should find us probably in a section of the café/bar near the back! Look forward to seeing you there.

1 Like

Well, our second meetup in Thornbury was really good. There were 15 of us in total which included fluent speakers from North and South Wales, some not so fluent, and quite a few new faces, from Cas-Gwent (which now seems much more accessible now that the bridge is free), Caerloyw (Gloucester) and Wotton-U-E. It’s likely that the next meetup will be on Wed 27th Feb, same time (14:30) same place (Hawkes House). Next time we shall have to learn another verse of Calon Lan! Looking forward to in already!

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a fantastic turnout - huge congratulations to everyone involved… :star: :star2:

@PhilgJones would you like me to include this in the list of regular meetups at the end of the newsletter now? I can easily update the date of the next meetup if you tag me in here when you post it.

If so, should I list it as ‘Thornbury’ or ‘Bristol’? Which would people be likely to look for?

Yes @Deborah-SSi why not. The next one will be on Wed 27th Feb at 14:30 in Hawkes house Thornbury. Probably list it as ‘Thornbury’.

1 Like

Well, finally the time for our next meetup for Coffi arrived. There were 12 of us in total if you include Cynthia’s English only friend who just came along to see what it was all about! We finished up with our usual rendition of ‘Calon Lan’, and even added a quick ‘Sosban Fach’ and the goat song!. (Not wishing to put any potential newcomers off mind you).

Anyway, the next meetup for coffi is again the last Wednesday of the month which is 27th March in Hawkes House Thornbury at 14:30.

I’m just posting here so I get any new notifications from the thread. Hope I’ll be able to come to the next one and I’m in courage to hear that an English only speaker was there and didn’t run away :+1: I’m currently on the challenge six and slowly working my way through a teach yourself book as well.

There is also a button at the bottom of the thread, that you can set to ‘Watching’ to make sure you get replies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another enjoyable meet up last Wednesday in Hawkes House. The next one will be on Wednesday April 24th usual place, usual time (14:30). So, if you are interested in coming along, just let me know, (or just turn up!). @Deborah-SSi

1 Like