Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Croeso yma Megan!
Welcome!

1 Like

@Megan Welcome! I’m American, too, no Welsh ancestry but I’ve been fascinated by Wales since childhood. SSiW is a fantastic way to learn the language :slight_smile: Have fun, let us know how you’re doing, and never hesitate to ask questions!

2 Likes

Welcome, @Megan
I started with Duolingo too and came here through a link on its forum. After about 18 months, I can confirm that SSiW is much more effective and also much more fun. Enjoy your learning.
Sue

2 Likes

Hello and croeso Megan! I found SSiW through Duolingo, too and totally agree with @Betterlatethan.
I would just add that in the beginning I tended to compare the effort to complete SSiW challenges and the slightly overwhelming feeling I got at the end of some of them with the easy and reassuring repetitions in Duolingo lessons - and wondered which would bring the best results.
10 months after trying Duolingo, I remember very well the English sentences and words I’ve been working on, but not the Welsh translation that I was supposed to learn! :laughing:
6 months after starting SSiW I can understand and say way more I could expect to learn in such a short time.
Enjoy your learning and the friendly forum! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, @Megan - and with a positive attitude like that, it sounds as though you’re going to fit in excellently around here… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

Croeso i’r ffrwm, Megan! (Welcome to the forum). Like AnnaC, I’m an American, also. At some point, if you’re not there already, you will want to speak Welsh with someone besides the family pet. :smile: It’s at this point, you’ll walk out your front door, scan the neighborhood and realize you are the only Siaradwr Cymraeg in eyesight. It’s around this moment you check the costs of round-trip flights to Wales ($400-$1,000 and up) and begin to bargain with your brain how to justify this cost with friends and family just so you can speak to someone in Cymraeg. :laughing:
Now you ask yourself, “Why Welsh? I can find a Spanish speaker easier. Even Italian or Urdu are languages I can find someone to speak with.” Welcome to being a Welsh speaker in the United States. It’s a unique type of frustration. I personally blame @aran for creating this problem in my life. :rofl:

Fortunately, you live in Virginia and there are options for you:
Welsh Society of Fredericksburg
Robert Roser
1203 Harbour Drive
Stafford, VA
United States
email: roscycm@comcast.net
www.welshfred.com - good group from what I’ve heard.

The first Saturday of each month there is a meet up in Washington DC from 110:30-noon at Teaism Penn Quarter. Full details in first post of this thread. I’ve not been to it, but it’s quite the gathering!

Lastly, I run a meet up for East Coast speaker on Thursdays from 7-8PM.. Details on the link but it’s a group of SSiW members from Maine to Florida who range from beginners to intermediates. I present a topic of interest and each person tells a story then each listener asks the story teller a question. After a couple of sentences, the speaker translates into English. This way we all learn. It’s a lot of fun and you are welcome to attend.

3 Likes

Diolch

Thanks for the info, Delaware! Unfortunately, I’m hours away from Fredericksburg, & due to my work schedule, will be unable to attend the Thursday meet up :frowning:
I have actually promised myself a trip to Wales, in a couple of years, as a birthday gift. Planning has already commenced :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shwmae, Megan! The group in Fredericksburg doesn’t actually have events centered on the language, but our group in DC does – non-class conversation group, first Saturday of every month, Teaism Penn Quarter near the Archives-Navy Memorial Metro Station in central DC, 10:30- noon. You will be very very welcome anytime!

Our Washington DC Welsh Society – https://washingtondcwelsh.org/ – has other events, too: gatherings to watch rugby and football (aka soccer), a big St. David’s Day banquet coming up on February 23rd, a Christmas carol service, and other stuff. We’re a fun lot. :slight_smile:

There are a few scattered Welsh speakers that I’m aware of around Virginia – one in Staunton, for instance – but the biggest concentration is definitely up here in DC. Where are you?

2 Likes

Helo, tahl! The DC Welsh society sounds fun! Unfortunately, I’m way down in Lynchburg, so logistically, that doesn’t really work for me :frowning:

I finished the “1 sentence in Welsh” emails, and find myself able to understand and say the sentence. :slight_smile:
I also followed along with a couple of the challenges in Level 1.
I just signed up for the 6 month course. I have Welsh radio playing in the background and am ready for Monday to come. :grin:

Maybe I’ll move from California to Wales someday!!

At least a visit… :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Well done Katie, that’s brilliant! You’ve made a superb start!

4 Likes

Bore da!!
Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg gyda “Say something in Welsh” a fy Cymraeg geiriadur pop dydd.
I’m from Mexico and the Welsh language is completely different, it’s a challenge for me.
Dw i mynd yn Cymru a Dw in angen gwella siarad Cymraeg
Dw i newydd dysgu yr dyddiau’r wythnos, yr misoeddy flwyddyn, yr rhifau, a cymal
I’m happy for my advance, I can have a small talk only in Welsh with my partner.
Mae Say something in Welsh gwych :slight_smile:

Pop hwyl
Yocelyn

6 Likes

Sounds like a superb idea! And welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting off to such a flying start :star: :star2:

Wow, how lovely to have someone from Mexico here! Welcome to the forum, Yocelyn, and enhorabuena on what you’ve learnt so far… :slight_smile: :star:

3 Likes

I’ve always been fascinated by my Welsh ancestry. My great grandfather was a hatter, his son was a druggist! Anyway I resolved to put my brain cells to good use by contacting a friend who has learned Welsh to ask her about learning the language. She put me onto SsiW. Today I completed the 5th daily sentence, sent by email and am thrilled by what I have achieved. Thank you! Hilary

4 Likes

Croeso Hilary!

Sounds fantastic - keep up the good work.

The forum is very friendly as you may have seen already…and a great place for questions!

…but you’ve just posted here already so it seems like you have everything figured out !

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Croeso Hilary,

It’s fascinating to look at the censuses and find out what they did for a living, isn’t it? I sometimes wonder if I have distant cousins here. More than likely. Learning Welsh can give you access to additional information about your family. I recently found a lovely newspaper report of my great aunt’s wedding in a Welsh language newspaper. Pity about the awful poem at the end. Two years ago I wouldn’t even have tried looking for it. Keep being thrilled at your achievements.
Sue

1 Like

Welcome, Hilary! I don’t have any Welsh ancestry, but I love hearing other people’s stories. Well done with your sentences…it’s a great feeling of accomplishment, isn’t it? :slight_smile: Let us know how it’s going for you, and definitely come ask any questions. Have fun!

2 Likes

Brilliant concept - it creates focus and moves you forward.

So I worked hard and learnt to say my sentence. I rattled it off to my South Walian family who listened in stunned silence. Not because they not were impressed (they were) but primarily because they didn’t understand me! Having discussed and Googled, I think it is the classic North v South … Now determined to learn to say something they can understand…

Many thanks

7 Likes

Welcome Megan!

3 Likes