Do you consider yourself a "Welsh Speaker" yet? If not, why not

If you’d asked me a month ago, I’d have said, “No, I’m not a Welsh speaker.” or “I’m just a learner.” or “Tipyn bach.” but that just changed a couple of weeks ago.

I had to go back to Wales for the funeral of my favourite aunt in the world. Although it was a really sad time, I was determined to take the opportunity to speak Welsh while I was there. I wasn’t too worried about being able to say what I wanted to say; but I was very nervous about whether or not I’d understand other people (I really struggle with Radio Cymru), and I must admit to a bit of an irrational fear of being unmasked as the fraud I am. :scream:

Well, I had three conversations in Welsh: One with a woman in the Anna Davies shop in Betws-y-Coed, one with a woman in a Welsh bookshop in Llandudno (where I managed to snag the very last copy of @CatrinLliarJones’ book “O Mam Bach” in the whole place), and one with an old friend. I experienced two amazing things with those conversations:

1. I understood every word all three of them said, except for just ONE word - “contactless” - I was paying for my book in Llandudno, and the woman said “Contactless?” to me. I was completely flummoxed for a minute. I don’t know that word! It doesn’t even sound Welsh! Then I realised - it’s English! :sweat_smile: I was so busy speaking Welsh that the English word just made no sense to me. (In fairness to me, they don’t say “contactless” for credit card transactions here - they say “tap.” So, it actually would have thrown me even in English.)
  2. Both of the strangers that I talked to just answered me normally and continued with the conversation. Neither of them slowed down for me, neither asked if I was learning Welsh, both understood me perfectly. As far as I know, they might not even have realised I was “not a Welsh speaker” or “just a learner.”

…and that’s my tipping point. I’m not fluent, and I still have a long way to go, but I think I can say I am a Welsh speaker.

13 Likes

I always use the “Cymraeg” option at self-checkouts when I am in Cymru (still residing in England, but not for too much longer). I seem to recall at Tesco the till says “Dangos i Dalu” for “Contactless”. In other words, literally, “Show to Pay”.

4 Likes

Thanks, @Bob!

Aled Hughes on Radio Cymru on Friday morning was asking people to ring in with suggestions for contactless. I forget the one he used, which was a good one, but someone suggested "Talu Awyr"and he said that one works. Didn’t listen to anymore as I got to work just after that, but an interesting one to have some fun with.

4 Likes

@Toffidil, @margaretwerdermann

Re: contactless

In one of my rare experiences of using Welsh in the “wild” (okay, it was Siop Y Pethe in Aberystwyth), I asked if I could pay by card and I’m sure the guy behind the counter asked me if I had “anghysylltiedig” (literally, uncontacted) and I congratulated myself on recognising the word (perhaps not that great an achievement, given the context!).

I may have imagined it, though…

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Do some Welsh speakers have a problem with learners?

I heard this. It’s a nice little phrase, because it evokes thoughts of the phrase Malu Awyr, to discuss something with little aim or seriousness - to talk idly - and since contactless is used for small, everyday purchases, that don’t take much buying consideration, it works on more than one level.

5 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn Margaret! Sounds like you’ve well and truly turned a corner and that you’re definitely on a roll now! Well done on all the hard work and all the best with the next stage.

Thank you for buying the book and good luck with the reading! :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to think about whether there really was a ‘tipping point’ for me going from learner to speaker in my own head…I think it’s really been more of a sliding scale. After two trips to Wales (and another, more permanent one coming up) and becoming involved with the SSiW community both online and in real life, and by extension the Melbourne Welsh community, I’ve found the language just becoming a bigger and bigger influence on my life. As such, I’ve gradually moved from being a competent learner to a comfortable speaker just by virtue of using the language so much day to day. I was very reluctant to label myself a speaker for a long time, because I was working on a faulty definition of the word, but I came to realise that when I have friends who rarely (if ever) speak English to me, I can’t honestly say I’m still a learner anymore.

Sorry for the essay, I didn’t realise I had so much to say about the subject! :blush:

2 Likes

I think Duolingo uses 'ddigysylltiad

1 Like

Hi. This sounds so like my journey. I battled with my parents to be allowed to do O level Welsh but never really used it. I did have a friend who spoke Welsh at home but never to me or anyone else at school. She would even reply to her Mum in English if she was on the phone and we we with her! After some years on England we moved to Llanrhystyd (near Aberystwyth) when two of our children were small and I started relearning but was always very nervous of speaking Welsh with anyone other than other learners because of all my mistakes. When we moved to Northumberland in 1989 there seemed no reason to continue so for the next 28 years I spoke no Welsh as even when we visited my parents in Caerdydd there was no reason to. But last year I can across SSiW and had a go at Challenge 1. I found I couldn’t stop as it was so different from how I’d learnt before. Actually hearing the Welsh spoken naturally and not just by other learners. Although I tried a speaking a little last year yn Sir Mon and panicking when someone spoke back to me! I have continued and hope to try again this year when we visit Sir Mon again and Sir Benfro. It really does seem now or never at my age and I want to reclaim a heritage which was lost to me when my great grandfather stopped speaking Welsh because he married a woman from Devon. Like many of the English speaking Welsh I have always felt a bit of a stranger in my own country. Not sure I’ll ever class myself as a Welsh speaker rather than a learner but hopefully this time I will become a fairly fluent learner as I have been inspired by people’s stories on SSiW

9 Likes

Some very thought-provoking responses here, which is great because it has encouraged dialogue on the issue - and I can see a couple of people who only realised during this whole thread that they were now bona fide Welsh speakers.

We seem to loosely fall into one of three categories.

1. Those who felt like a Welsh speaker very early in their journey.
2. Those who took a little longer but had some kind of “click moment” that made them feel like a Welsh speaker
3. Those who can speak Welsh, but not perhaps to the level that they would consider themselves a "Welsh speaker"

At the time of writing this, the results were tipped 68%/32% on the side of “Yes”, which is interesting as there are a fair few of you out there who don’t consider yourselves speakers of the language yet.

I hope this thread has given some kind of confidence to those who’ve marked themselves as “Speakers” and I hope it’s given those who marked themselves as “Non speakers” a bit of a re-evaluation.

I’m sure Iestyn says it in one of the first couple of lessons, “You genuinely are speaking Welsh” and I think that is true. Of course, someone who memorises a few stock phrases cannot speak a language - but if you’re doing it the SSIW way, taking words you know and messing around with them and making sentences of your own - you’re a genuine Welsh speaker. You may not have a massive vocabulary yet, but your’re still a speaker of the language!!

2 Likes

I think the other thing is that it is key to remember, (and this is my own personal view) is that becoming a speaker doesn’t mean knowing everything :smiley:

You can be a complete beginner with only a few phrases in your bag of tricks, yet still be a speaker - a speaker who is improving!

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Catrin! I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

Important point that - I’ve found that I will now have a good go at speaking to anyone, just for the sheer joy of it (and sometimes, the poor souls are English and have no chance), but the ‘tipping point’ is not a change in my knowledge, it’s in my attitude.
I want to hear Welsh tumbling out of my mouth.
It might get a bit mixed up, and I might still struggle to understand everything on some days, but if I can say it, I will, and if I can’t, I’ll try.

2 Likes

Hi Helen. Yes your story and background does sound very much like mine - with the slight variation that my very young years were spent moving round various military places outside Wales with my father. But by the 60s we were back in Cardiff where I completed my schooling & university, and in those days it really was a rare event to come in contact with anyone speaking Welsh. Even though, that is - incredible as it may now seem - my paternal Welsh-speaking grandparents who heralded from Ceredigion were also living in Cardiff but never spoke a word of Welsh to any of us, including to my father! And having now lived 46 years on the Isle of Wight (Ynys Wyth), I never had more than a couple of stock phrases of Welsh until the last few years.

Fast forward to the present and, due to the inspired methods of Aran & Iestyn, I can say that I now speak an increasing amount of Welsh. But that is completely different, for me at least, in being able to say that I am now a Welsh speaker. I see and hear Welsh on TV and radio and it is STILL utterly daunting to me, though of course I can now pick out a few words. Even the simple questions and answers posted on this forum I often struggle with.

Some of the folks on here are inspiring, as you say, but they are in many ways the exceptional ones, at least in terms of their commitment and linguistic aptitudes. There are no doubt others who may not show up on the forum or not even bother in the first place. And all of our starting-points are so different: for folks like you and me there are so many additional layers of half-buried responses to negotiate as well.

2 Likes

Hi Nicky it was a really interesting question but I think you should have had a third answer button – sometimes – because even after bootcamp where I spent all week speaking welsh I still didn’t feel like a welsh speaker. My click moment was just before Christmas when I revised lesson 25 Level 2 and realized that I occasionally had time to spare before the next sentence started.
So my click moment has something to do with my own speed of response. Maybe I have reached a processing speed in some (definitely not all) responses which matches some internal measure that I never knew I even had till I got there.
However the feeling of being a welsh speaker varies a lot depending on how I’m feeling so sometimes I feel that I am and other times I just feel like there is such a huge amount to learn.
I am just hoping that the days when I feel like a welsh speaker become more and more and the days of feeling that I am a welsh learner will become fewer and fewer and further apart.

6 Likes

Diolch @henddraig. Maybe that’s the word I heard? Can’t quite remember now…

I was in a meeting (in S Manchester) this afternoon and the person sitting next to me was reading my notes over my shoulder. I switched from writing in English to Welsh as the ‘spying’ was irritating me. The decision was instant and ‘cos I was a bit bored, I started to think, if the question here had been, ‘Could you live your life through Welsh?’, I would have answered that I could. If the next question had been, "Could you do that without 1st language speakers thinking you sound a bit strange?’, then the answer to that would be probably not.

It’s just a thought on how best to describe my own view of how I see my relationship with the Welsh language. For me, it covers the continuous learning piece too, just as living my life in English means I expand my use of that language every day.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking a lot about this “Welsh speaker or not” over the last few weeks, And years if the truth be told.

I’ve come to the conclusion that much of what we think of as “being a Welsh speaker” and the whole learner vs fluent thing is a dangerous distraction.

Even the “crossing the bridge” metaphor, which may have been useful in the past, is now just that - something that was useful in the past.

While I don’t think for one minute that we can influence “the establishment” when it comes to this kind of terminology, I would prefer a new set of terms.

Anyone familiar with my posts here and elsewhere may have noticed that I (nearly) always refer to SSiWers as “new speakers”, because that’s what you are. “Learners” are those timid souls who go to evening classes, learn all of the writing, and never say a word. That’s not even an option for SSiWers, so you are never “learners” in that sense.

You may be speakers who are too nervous to speak in public, but if you are able to say the Welsh in the SSiW regulation gaps, then you are speaking Welsh already!

But I understand that you don’t feel like a Welsh speaker, and what you feel is what matters.

But it’s not just a “learner” thing. I knew from-birth speakers in the Rhymney Valley who claimed that they “didn’t really speak Welsh”, and ticked the no box on the census. Which then begs the question “What is a Welsh speaker?”

So, I’ve come up with 4 categories:

Inexperienced Welsh speakers: 2nd language speakers who are able to speak some Welsh, may very well be comfortable in a range of situations, but get out of their depth in other fairly common situations, and so don’t feel confident enough to call themselves “fluent”. It’s a broad category, I know, especially as I know new speakers who are fluent in most common tasks, but still get caught out by their inexperience from time to time. It doesn’t make them “not speakers”, it just shows that they haven’t had the benefit of years an years of speaking Welsh. And the cure is simple and difficult at the same time - get more experience!

Non-habitual Welsh speakers. These are experienced Welsh speakers who don’t use their Welsh often. You can tell in after-match interviews on S4C which sports players speak Welsh regularly, and which ones roll their Welsh out for the cameras. The difference between this category and the inexperienced Welsh speakers is in the type of Welsh that trips people up. There are certain “2nd language variations” that 1st language Welsh speakers, even non-habitual ones, generally don’t make. On the other hand there are full bodied Welsh sentences and words and phrases that the inexperienced speaker uses with abandon that the non-habitual struggles with. Neither is better than the other - they are just different. And when you as an adult learner get mistaken for a from-birth-but-lapsed speaker, you know you are on the right track!

Habitual Welsh speaker. This is what new speakers call fluent. Habitual Welsh speakers use their Welsh often, tend to use at least some kind of dialect. They tend to sound lovely and natural, and speak far too fast, peppering their Welsh with English words as their speed of delivery means that they just use the first word that comes into their heads, rather than searching for the “correct” one. They very often think that because they use a bit of English in their Welsh (they are bilingual after all) they are “not very good” and “aren’t good enough to help a learner”. In fact, many of them will tell you that they aren’t fluent, and point you to one of the last category:

Cultured-Welsh speaker. By which I mean speakers of cultured Welsh. These are Welsh speakers who know a lot of the “correct” words, and speak absolutely beautiful natural (ie dialect) Welsh. This is more of a subcategory of the habitual speaker, to be honest, and the two groups blend into each other, so it’s unfair to single them out.

The more habitual your Welsh gets as a new speaker, the more you will hold this group up as the measure of your “fluency” so that you never actually get there. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you know you’re doing it, rather than beating yourself up for never quite “getting there”!

Going from “inexperienced speaker” to “habitual speaker” is just a matter of experience. Learning is only a small part of that experience, and you can gain enough experience in some categories to feel “fluent” and suddenly get knocked back by your inexperience in another situation.

That’s the problem with the phrase “crossing the bridge”. It suggests that there is some kind of mythical obstacle that once you pass it you are “A Welsh Speaker”. This is patently nonsense, but based on a “learn the grammar for 6 years, then try to speak on the street” model, probably made sense at one point.

But you SSiWers are not like that. You can use your Welsh from the off, and just need to gain experience and new variations.

So, could I respectfully ask that all of you that have posted “no” or “not quite” above consider where you are on the continuum, and then learn the important word “di-brofiad” [DEE BROV-yad, O as in yOb] = inexperienced, and when someone asks if you are a Welsh speaker, you can say “Ydw, ond dwi’n ddi-brofiad iawn”. (Yes, but I’m very inexperienced).

Because as far as I can tell, you are all pretty much Welsh speakers, just with varying amounts of experience in varying numbers of areas.

Edited to add - sorry, that turned into an essay. I’ve put another post on the “War and Peace” thread…

20 Likes