Finished level 3

So. I’ve finished level 3. I want to work on fluency and confidence. I’d like to keep using ssiw - question is , do I go back over all levels (with 1 sped up), do the old course, or just review l3. What did you do (aside from Skype)

Everyone will have their own ffordd, but for what it’s worth, this is what I have done.
I did old course 1 followed by Levels 1, 2 and 3, then I did the vocab units of old course 1 and then I did old course 2. I’m currently working on vocab units of old course 2 with a plan to then do old course 3. After that, I might go back and quickly revise a few things and then, perhaps move to the North Wales courses (although I have done the South Course, I’ve noticed that BBC Cymru, books, videos, etc often have bits of “north” and bits of “south” through out so it might be good to be aware of the differences.

A super important part of it all, however, (if you’re not doing it already) is practice with real welsh speakers. Where I live the easiest way I can do that is through welshspeakingpractice.slack.com, which has many people from this forum meet regularly to practice. It was a bit daunting at first but the very kind and friendly bunch there helped me gain in confidence and my listening comprehension is improving dramatically. If you have people around you to speak to, that’s great. Otherwise, come and join us on Slack! (more info on this thread: Finding practice partners - a new resource - please share). The good thing is that there are 1:1 chats as well as group chats.

Other things I’m trying to do is to read “real” content such as BBC Cymru, which has a vocab function from the website (ie not on iphone app, etc) that helps you to define words you may not know. Also, I have recently bought a book that was recommended here “e-ffrindiau”, which is a book made for learners. I’m also trying to listen to and watch “real” content (although that is a bit tricky in terms of variety in Australia!), usually online.

Well, that’s my 2 cents.

5 Likes

I’d say just the latest challenges of level 3 N & S and perhaps Lessons 24 and 25 of course 3 N&S, but don’t worry if most of it doesn’t register.

Also as mentioned above, Slack Welsh speaking practice is a great help. Its ok to just sit in without speaking if you want or even just watch us on U-Tube. Personally, I find it helps me as a safe place to make loads of mistakes.

Meetups are the way that you really get ahead. Again they are full of people who are there to make mistakes and help each other , so no problem there. I’m a very nervous mixer, but have always felt comfortable at these coffee type gatherings.

Other than that, if you want to hear 1st language Welsh, I’d say Radio Cymru, especially if you get chance to hear members of the public speaking (say in an interview).

If you are on Facebook there is plenty about to catch up with. You don’t have to be FB friends as the groups are generally kept as sort of forumy type things. If you notice any lively debates, you can always just scroll past them and no-one will know that you have been there.

Speaking personally, If I notice any of my real life friends or acquaintances, I just try gently to get them to talk to me. I realise that this is easier if you are close to Wales, but I’ve noticed Welsh accents, fairly far afield.

In short, I suppose, just keep at it.

I hope that this helps.

Edit: the final paragraph should have read something like:
…If I notice that any of my real life friends or acquaintances are Welsh (secret) speakers, I just try gently to get them to talk to me.

5 Likes

If you enjoy the routine of doing the lessons, you can always go on to do courses 1-3 and the vocab units. It’s all useful stuff that will help extend your language.

The most important thing is to find an activity that you really enjoy, so that you keep doing it for its own sake. For me, that was reading - starting with easy learner books, and progressing naturally from there.

And definitely make an effort to find regular speaking practice - either on Slack or in ‘real life’, or both.

Now the fun starts! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I might lurk on slack. I find talking on Skype etc really hard - even in English! Not coz of mistakes just general talking to strangers anxiety!

4 Likes

Hi Vicky. Yes I can understand that. Perhaps watch on U-tube and leave a message (in English) to the group leader, to let them know that you are there. That way you will be included in a passive way.

2 Likes

I’d go for 24/25 Level 1 and Level 2, but only once every few weeks… and as others have said, the real gold standard here is time spent in Welsh only one-on-one conversations. Time to find a tame Welsh speaker, or tame a wild one… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ran a listening practice Hangout recently which seemed to go well. I plan to do another one or two next month.

I’m hoping these will be a gentle way into meeting people via video chat as you don’t have to speak if you don’t want to. But do come and join us on Slack. You can try one-to-one for just a couple of minutes to start with if a Hangout seems intimidating.

3 Likes

I have done level 2 and 3 of the old course and the vocab units. I think the vocab units are pretty useful. At the moment I am alternating level 3 of the old and new course, I still like to do 2 or 3 lessons a week on my way too and from work. When I finish that I might try level 3 of the new north course unless we get some new southern lessons.

For understanding/listening, I watch Pobol y Cwm (alternating welsh english and no subtitles), and usually one other programme a week (at the moment Ffit Cymru, before that Parch) and try to spend a good few hours a week listening to Radio Cymru, usually while travelling. I’m very happy with the way my understanding has improved doing that.

Speaking fluency comes more slowly and there is no way round it beside just talking to people more! I have one night class a week followed by chat, and am trying to do at least one hang out a week too on the slack channel. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is absolutely fine just to watch or listen at first, you don’t have to have your camera on. Several times the leader has said x or y has said they just want to listen today and everyone’s fine with that. I need to do more one to one chats I think, but the only way I can make myself join is by scheduling it in advance, and I know by now that I will enjoy it. Although I am quite chatty when I get going, I am not one to seek out lots of interaction in real life (I’m the sort of person who has to remind themselves to look up and smile at people serving me in shops) but it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I’m
Going to listen to variety of old lessons - because they fit nicely into my lunchtime walks, and try to add some other things at other times

2 Likes

Hi Vicky,

A lot of people have said similar to what I was going to say, but here goes :smiley:

I really enjoyed going back and doing the “old” courses. They teach similar material but in a different kind of way, and the “old” course was great for me and I feel it really improved my “speed” of response - as you may find that the gaps left for you to speak in the old course are a few seconds shorter than those left in the new course.

It also covers some vocab that hasn’t yet made an appearance in the new course - and all vocab is good :slight_smile:

It may take you a few lessons to get used to the slightly “less relaxed” manner of the lessons - but after you’ve got used to it, you’ll enjoy them :slight_smile:

The vocab lessons are great too - I would’ve never learned the Welsh version of mantelpiece without them

3 Likes

Silff ben tân! :smile:

4 Likes

Well, I finished Level 3 this evening, with a request (in the Northern version) for feedback so…
I think that the SSiW lessons are great: after all, I’ve been sticking with it for about 3 years now, and paying for them for most of that time!
I like the following:

1. The straight-in-to-it approach to useful, conversational Welsh from the very first lesson.
  2. The avoidance of grammar (although I actually like a bit of grammar, but that’s my preference).
  3. The encouragement in every lesson: “Just had a two-sentence basic conversation? So what? It’s a conversation in Welsh!”
  4. The mild humour, including learning some daft phrases, pervading it all. I’m unlikely to need to talk about orange dogs, but it does help to memorise the words :slight_smile: .
  5. The constant returning to old material, which really helps the learning process.
  6. The fact that I could do them whilst doing housework.
  7. The “Don’t Worry” mantra!

I have a few points that I’d like to raise about certain aspects of the lessons, but I will hopefully create separate topics for them in the next couple of weeks or so. They will be on the lines of suggestions for improvement and maybe food for thought, and would be difficult to cram into a single posting.

There are plenty more things being offered at the moment that I’m going to do. I must really spend more time having chats over Slack. And the advanced material is waiting for me.

I’d just like to say Diolch yn fawr iawn iawn (Thanks very, very much) for such an enjoyable experience!

7 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau! That’s a great accomplishment! :tada: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Complimentoni, @Baruch! :slight_smile:
And very interesting notes too.

p.s. Never miss a chance to mix a bunch of different languages, especially now you’ve graduated from SSiW, right? :wink:

3 Likes

Gwych - llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn iawn, a diolch yn fawr iawn am y mewnbwn… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

1 Like

Danke iawnissimmo à toi Gisella, and Shalom !

3 Likes

Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d post in this one. So I finally finished level three south! Thank you to every one at SSiW for this :smiley: I’ve never learned a language like this, and it’s so much better than how we learned French at school. In 1 year I have done much more than 5 years of French at school!
I now need to get on the WSP as much as possible and use it!
Diolch o galon!

6 Likes

Wow, congratulations Martin. That’s a major milestone - a great feeling no doubt! Well done on all the hard work.

Rich

3 Likes

HUGE congratulations - that is a genuinely fantastic achievement - and I’m delighted that you’re going to jump into WSP and use it as much as possible, because that is exactly what will bring it all fully to life for you… :slight_smile:

3 Likes