Finished reading my first book

I’ve just finished reading e-ffrindiau. It’s the first book I’ve actually read in Welsh from start to finish although I did read the Mynediad section of Ffenestri. I enjoyed it although I think I translated as I read rather than knowing what it said. There were a few bits that I didn’t quite get but I got most of it. I almost wanted a few more letters at the end to finish off the story so you could find out how she got on. I don’t want to give too much away for those who also want to read it.

14 Likes

Hello @theresacorbett.
It’s satisfying, isn’t it? I have to confess that I left E-Ffrindiau part way through in order to read Ffenestri. I must go back and finish it. I enjoyed Ffenestri so much that I pressed on to the end even though I had to look up a lot of words. Have you tried Cysgod yn y Coed, also by Lois Arnold? More short stories, and very good ones I think.
Sue

3 Likes

My Welsh is going so slowly (but surely: no complaints here!). It’s my hope that eventually I will be able to read in Welsh. It is so nice to hear that you have achieved this; well done!

2 Likes

@theresacorbett Da iawn ti! Well done! My first book in Welsh was also e-ffrindiau. It’s such a feeling of accomplishment when you finish your first book, isn’t it? :slight_smile: I also translated as I read it, but my next book was Ffenestri, and partway through that, I realized I wasn’t translating any more. So dal ati (keep at it)! :star:

@Baruch You’ll get there, never fear! e-ffrindiau is a great book to start with because it’s meant for beginning learners, and it starts out quite simply and increases in difficulty as it goes along. I did a book review (in English) in the 2016 SSiW Eisteddfod Ar-Lein here if you are interested at some point.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. We have to start somewhere. :slight_smile:
And you will definitely have learned (at some level or other) new words in the process.

2 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawr :star: :star2:

Well done! I’ve decided to read a book a month this year, as part of my ‘Learn Welsh or die’ New Year’s resolution. I get ‘Stori Sydyn’ from the library, because they’re short and fairly easy. I’m reading ‘Inc’ at the moment, by Manon Steffan Ros. A word to the wise, so you aren’t as puzzled as I was after reading the back cover - it isn’t about ‘tatws’ (potatoes) but ‘tatws’ (with a hat on the w - tattoos)…

3 Likes

tatŵs :slight_smile: