Format of skype practice

I think Gareth must have started the chat originally, so it ended when he logged out. Stella and I logged back in to say night night, but it was getting a bit late anyway so you didn’t miss much. I think you’d have had to either actively phone in again or answer the call if it beeped at you again… :wink:

2 Likes

Oh no! I’m sorry, I didn’t know that would happen. I had been speaking Welsh for 2 1/2 hours and my poor noggin was pretty fried.

2 Likes

Hmmm … you should have speoken 4 1/2 … when this happens, believe me, it’s nothing too much anymore! It carries you on talking.

Now, I’m sorry I couldn’t be with you tonight, but I had much fun those last hours with @margaretnock what I wouldn’t want to miss in any way … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem. I thought I’d heard that your brain was hurting from talking for a long time, Gareth, but then I doubted my ability to understand, as I often get it completely wrong! Net mouse, I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten your name. I do remember, however, that you have two children and a gerbil. It was nice to meet you and Stella last night, however briefly:).

3 Likes

7 pm welsh time, Sunday 17th.
I look forward to hearing about Tatjana’s welsh visitor and anything else people wish to say.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Most of what was typed into skype last night (only a very small part of what was said).

deg o cant – ten percent.
canran - percentage
gradd - grade
tymheredd - temperature
Pechod! - shame/pity
barcud - the bird or kite.
barcud du - black kite, barcud coch - red kite
nico – goldfinch.

pwll - pond/pool
crëyr glas - heron
madfall dwr - newt
broga neu llyffant - frog
o amser i amser = from time to time.
aderyn y to - house sparrow

mynd i’r dde – go to the right.
hwyaden - duck
rhy uchel – to high.
colomen - pigeon
ysguthan - wood pigeon
bwydo - feed
storc - stork (hefyd)

drwg, drygionus - naughty
llamhidydd - porpoise
mulfrain / bilidowcar - cormorant
goroesi = survive/survival.

and thanks for your patience with, and correction of, my mistakes.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

How amazing! Last night I was talking about herons and goldfinch and storks and porpoise and newts and frogs, in Welsh with lovely almost strangers from Germany, Belarus, Slovenia, England and Wales.
I never would have thought it!

6 Likes

Thank you @franhunni. If not before then the real fun began when we started about storks … You’re amazing with talking and understanding! Da iawn ti!

And all the rest … you’re all amazing too. It impresses me the most how many words you actually know while I constantly am cruising through the Geriadur to find them …

But, yah, for the remembrance and some feeling of the spirit of the yesterday’s conversation, here’s a little video about Storks bringing babies (which was part of the discussion, by the way) if you didn’t see it yet …

https://youtu.be/XB8JIl0TOnw

Thanik you @seren for posting the link into the Skype session message window. I love it to the bits. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s the storks that bring us new words, they come in the night and poke them through the letter box.
That would explain the moments when a word suddenly appears in your head, you just breathed in a new word left by the stork.
It would also explain how words appear in dreams.

Expanding a little on last nights far reaching conversation.

Roedd yn brynhawn hyfryd, yr haul yn tywynnu ond nid oedd y cwmwl bach yn hapus.
Pam oedd y cwmwl bach anhapus, mae’n achos ei fod wedi colli ei enfys.

Dechreuodd wylo am ei fod wedi colli ei enfys, daeth ei ddagrau glaw.

Mae’r glaw yn disgyn tuag at y tir ar tri mochyn bach a oedd yn gorwedd yn llonydd ar y traeth.
Dechreuodd un mochyn bach yn cwyno nad oedd yn hoffi’r glaw.

Mae mochyn bach arall yn hapus i chwerthin am y peth, a dweud peidiwch â phoeni, mae gen i sebon yn fy mag, gallwch fanteisio ar y cyfle i olchi y tu ôl i’ch clustiau.

Dywedodd y trydydd mochyn bach oh edrych enfys wedi ymddangos yn yr awyr.

Ie, pan mae’n bwrw glaw ar ddiwrnod heulog, mae’r haul yn tywynnu drwy’r glaw ac yn gwneud enfys.

Mae rwan, y cwmwl bach yn hapus unwaith eto, mae ddiwrnod arall’n dda.

It was a beautiful afternoon, the sun was shinning but the little cloud was not happy.

Why was the little cloud unhappy, because he had lost his rainbow.

He started crying because he had lost his rainbow, his tears became rain.

The rain fell towards the land onto three little pigs that were lying still on the beach.

One little pig started complaining that he did not like the rain.

Another little pig was happy to laugh about it, and said do not worry, i have soap in my bag, you can take the opportunity to wash behind your ears.

The third little pig said oh look a rainbow has appeared in the sky.

Yes, when it rains on a sunny day, the sunshines through the rain and makes a rainbow.

Now, the little cloud is happy again, another good day.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Ooh, is a red kite really a barcud coch? :smiley: I’ve been wanting to check this ever since our recent visit to Ceredigion!

1 Like

Hi and Thank you - I couldn’t even understand some of that sentence let alone say it - I did say I was at the very early stages :smile:

Apologies for the delay in my reply too - have had family stuff going on - hubby should be back in work Monday so fingers crossed I can dedicate more Dysgu amser :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sandi

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get some Skype practice lately, if anyone doesn’t mind talking to someone who might blank on most of the words due to nerves ahah. I’ve never been able to have a conversation in Welsh before, because no one around me speaks it. I mostly use it on my dog, but he doesn’t say much in reply.

1 Like

Bet you can get most of it!

Wnes i weld - I saw
tri - three
mochyn bach - little pig
ar y traeth - on the beach
ddoe - yesterday

I think traeth might be new to you, but most of the rest are probably there if you give them time… :sunny:

2 Likes

Are you learning north or south? If north, I’d be interested, if it’s north, but there would be long silences from my end while I struggle for words too.

1 Like

Well, helo all. :slight_smile:

It was not “regular session” with @ramblingjohn today but we’ve got two random chats though. In first we have talked about the weather, pigeons (well, turtledoves actually) and storks.

Words?
this

and this

Yes, you’re right. there was no words written in this session but I struggled how to say Slovene word “grlica” even in English so I said the first picture are pigeons. After I’ve examined geriadur later on I found out those are turtledoves (colomen yn Cymraeg - as much as I could find).

The next session brought more words and here they are for you:

• coron = crown
  • gorseddfa = throne
  • mas = mace
  • cleddyf = sword
  • o ddifri = siriously
  • eleni = this year
  • gêm, chwarae, helwriaeth = game
    hardd, prydferth, teg = beautiful (we weren’t totally sure if teg is really what we wanted but hardd and prydferth surely were the those)
  • hawdd = easy
  • hyfryd = lovely
  • neis, braf, hyfryd (also) = nice
  • cyfle = chance, opportunity
    cyfle, gem and hawdd (yn hawdd) many of you know already since they were somewhere in the lessons.

So, this is approximately it. As you see we’ve played with mostly only good and pleasant words today. At one point we were more listeners and at another speakers so everything went just fine.

Waiting for next session this time hopefully with John aboard.

However before I finish this post, here’s something to get you into Spring mood if you’re not already …

3 Likes

I knew the 3 little pigs and even beach but I still really struggle with the sentence construction changing when starting "‘I’ if that makes sense? I think this may be mainly tense related (feel free to shoot me if I’m way off) And that tends to throw me off a lot of stuff. 90 + % of my sentences start with dwi or the negative of that.
Sandi.

1 Like

So do mine or Wnes i for the past and I tend to use negative most of the time … so don’t worry that much. It shouldn’t throw you off. I’ve gone through such things so I know … Such attitude will not help you too much as it didn’t help me.

2 Likes

Diolch for the reply. I’m ok with single words but my head goes round in circles with some sentences. I just keep telling myself Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Sandi

2 Likes

Good attitude also. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is exactly the sort of stuff that comes out nicely in the wash when you get yourself into enough conversational exchanges… :sunny:

1 Like