Forum Software Upgrade?

Noticing some neat new emails coming out from the forum recently, has there been an upgrade to the forum software?

I ask because I’ve noticed this starting to happen…

For the tech-heads, I’m on Linux Mint 19 with Chromium :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes, I got an e-mail saying that I hadn’t been on the forum for some time and did I want to unsubscribe. Err… is several times a day not enough? Interesting.
Sue

3 Likes

We’re looking into that. Thanks for letting us know what is happening with that.

Also, that overlapping thing that Nicky is pointing out is a rather annoying thing, isn’t it! Also probably an update thing.

1 Like

I got one of those emails, too, and I’d just been on the forum. Also, it’s putting up little banners that say things like “so-and-so hasn’t been on the forum since such-and-such-time” and “It’s so-and-so’s first time on the forum”. This must be software-related because it’s just started happening on another Discourse forum I read. I must say it feels a little Big Brother-ish/creepy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’ve had an e mail from noreplyforumsummarysaysomethinin.com. Showing posts from various people on the forum who I have had no real contact with. Also getting pop ups saying somebody hasn’t been on forum for a long time.

1 Like

I use a Mac and Safari browser and I experience the same visual distortion as @Nicky Huge plus for using Linux! :+1:t4: However, it does NOT impact my ability to enjoy SSiW or the ability to click any links. Since I focus on bottom half of the screen, it’s not an issue for me in anyway.

2 Likes

@Nicky …how is that mint chromium? Sounds right wikkid, innit?

1 Like

On computer browsers it looks ok on top of the page, then it’s just as it freezed the title on a transparent background, so when I scroll down, I get the same effect as in Nicky’s pic.

However on Android+Chrome it works fine, and looks better than before. :+1:

While on Android+Opera I see…nothing at all - just a red stripe and “SSi” on the left! :laughing:

Oh I now noticed there’s also a new warning when someone posts for the first time! The “let’s welcome x!” and the icon seem slightly weird to me…but on the other hand, now there’s a lot of new forumists appearing, it’s hard to keep track of who’s just arrived and say hello, so that makes sense.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input, folks - yup, these changes have taken us a bit by surprise - we’re going to be trying to figure out how to fine-tune them in the coming days, and which off them are switchable-offable… :wink:

1 Like

I so enjoy ‘tech speak’ :rofl: In all honesty, I like how the Thread name, and subsections are ‘stickied’ to the top left of the screen and the pages scroll underneath it. It’s a great navigational tool for me. Big thumbs up to the coder! I’m just one voice, but I like it.

1 Like

I haven’t used Linux a lot since university to be honest, probably about 15 years since I last properly messed around with it, @HuwJones has regularly mentioned his Linux setup, so when a spare laptop went knocking about in the household I thought I’d go back over to the darkside whilst I rebuilt my Windows 10 machine!

I’m really impressed with how easy finding drivers and that is nowadays. It used to be a lot more cumbersome to get things like webcams working.

2 Likes

I read that Linus Torvalds, the Author (?) Of Linux was happy for people to pronounce Linux in a similar way to the way that they would pronounce his name. Any Welsh thoughts?

I now use Linux (latest Ubuntu) on my laptop, Android on my Samsung tablet and Windows 10 on my desktop which means I’m entitled to wear three anoraks :laughing:
(I still miss dos, though)

Some may not know that Chromium is the Linux version of Chrome

3 Likes

There are two predominant pronunciations out there:

Line-ux &
Lin-ux.

Lin-ux was the one my old Computer Systems & Concepts CS1032 module tutor used to use, so that was the one that stuck with me and I find it hard to switch over now - but I do hear more people in work using Line-ux nowadays.

1 Like

If it helps, Linus Pauling (winner of not one but two Nobel prizes) and, more importantly, Charlie Brown’s bestie both pronounced their names as “Line-us” :smile:

2 Likes

Hey all - yep, there was indeed an upgrade. Two kind-of-unrelated things to address here:

(1) First of all, the weird overlappy thread title thing. Sorry about that. It was due to the people who make the forum software changing something with the way their styling works, and me having to re-do a bunch of the custom styling stuff that I do in order to keep the SSi bar at the top - but I missed a bit, as it were. That’s fixed now.

(2) The weird emails about having been inactive. That was actually sent by a copy of the forum - which might sound a bit odd. Basically, when I did the upgrade, I didn’t want to just blindly trust that it would update itself without exploding, so I did a sort of dry run first. And it’s just as well I did, because it did actually explode on my first two dry runs! I only did the actual live upgrade once I was certain I knew how to stop it exploding. However, the dry runs involved having a second backup copy of the forum running, and that copy woke up and decided that some people hadn’t been active for a while (because they weren’t active on the copy, they were active on the main one… if that makes sense). Long story short, they can be safely ignored and they won’t happen again. Swear down. :wink:

As for the Linux pronunciation thing, here’s the man himself making it very clear which is correct. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Looking all nice again over here!

1 Like

DOS is still there in windows 10, and the base interface under Samsung has a similar look and feel.:recycle:

1 Like

Yes, I often use the command prompt and, more often, Windows Power Shell but I feel both have moved a long way from MSDOS in recent Windows releases. I suppose I could install a DOS emulator if my hiraeth gets strong enough. :smile:

3 Likes

Ifan, we who have been sys-admins thank you for the continued supply of good ux. The gui didn’t change, all that helps everyone.
Someone I know sent an entire Government department a performance management system generated email. Three times :violin::phone:

2 Likes