Help - problems!

OK so here’s the issue.

I completed course 1 then level 1 and flew through both. As I am doing the Southern course I then started course 2 but the result is confusion and a loss of confidence.

I was with a Welsh speaker yesterday who offered to chat but my mind went blank like I had never done any at all!!

How do I sort this quickly?

Thanks

Hi Richard! Don’t worry at all about that - the exact same thing happened to me when I started using my welsh too. The thing to remember is that it’s a very different thing to do the lessons than it is to talk to a real, living human who is going to ask you questions that don’t nessicarily follow patterns you’ve practiced, and to have to try to understand and respond.

I just kept going, even though I was dissapointed with my first effort, and after a while, it got easier. I still don’t understand everything that’s said to me, and I still find myself without the words to express myself occasionally, but I can have a functional conversation. The first time you find yourself doing that, it will be incredibly satisfying. :smile:

5 Likes

Hi Richard, agree with everything Karla said.

Try thinking about learning to ride a bike, you fall off lots of times before you actually really get going. If everyone who fell of the first time didn’t get back on then nobody would ever learn.

I bet you have gone over what went wrong thousands of times and you know what you would do different next time? So it is a learning experience even though I KNOW it doesn’t feel like that now!

If you are planning to chat with this person again perhaps start out by saying something like, “I want to talk about … today”. It gives them a clue about what is coming next and helps you stay a little bit in control of the conversation. That is how I started out with my ffrinDiath and it really helped.

Most important advice to sort it quickly, seek out your friend and go again as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

:smile:

3 Likes

Yah, @RichardM I’m with @Karla here. I went through all material possible (besides vocabs and Northern course (of course)) and still am struggling with conversations very much.

My first (real) tutor was @margaretnock who is (quite) strict with using Cymraeg what means “only welsh” rule applies. My result was (almost) nothing, zip, nada … I have to say I have kind of that teacher-student respect toward her so it might be I was not so relaxed I should be. The second session with her was at least a bit better. We have spoken for about 30 minutes quite some Cymraeg from my end aswell and that teacher-student feeling faded a bit. I have no feelings toward upcomming conversation with @aran yet and I can not say what outcome would be, but I had nice pleasant almost an hour long conversation with @brigitte on Saturday (almost) entirely in Cymraeg aside from some tinny little English bits when I was really stuck. And you also have to bear in mind she speaks north and I speak south version of the language what sometimes can be a slight problem, but we still managed to get along with this just fine.

So, what I want to say is that whenever the occassion to talk occurs, grab it no matter how much will you produce. It will be better and better in time. Don’t be (too) frustrated with the first (as you said) not so good conversation. You don’t need to go through all those frustrations and difficults I have gone. I know now they were unneccessary and (too) “painful”.

I sincerely wish you good luck and strongly believe you’ll manage to overcome all those frustrations you might have just right now. You can speak Cymraeg better then you think, believe me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks again to all for the help. You are all right of course and I know I need to persevere. I suppose it was (or seemed at least) to be going so well then the first wobble hits hard!
I did try someone’s suggestion of having a go at Level2 Northern but packed that in pretty quickly as it was too confusing!

I will persevere with Course 2 but looking forward to Level 2 South as, like many others, I find the style much more user friendly.
Thanks again.

Richard

4 Likes

You’ve got two things happening at once here - one is the fact that Course 2 will definitely feel a bit hiccupy since you’ve come at it out of order, in a way - you’ll find that will bed down before too long, and it’ll certainly give you less of a headache than switching to L2 northern!

The second thing is the pain of jumping into real conversations - we’ll be publishing the accelerated listening exercises for Level 1 southern before too much longer, which will help you - but the key thing, as others have said, is to realise that you’re a long way ahead of the curve by starting to do that at this stage - and if you can push on through the pain, you’ll gain a huge amount from it… :sunny:

2 Likes

Thanks Aran. I’m sticking at it and just got to lesson 6. I definately feel more at home with the levels as opposed to the courses. Any news on the release of level 2 Southern version as yet please?
Thanks
R

I hope you didn’t miss @RichardM, that Challenge 25 of Level 1 Southern was released today. Good pice of revision the whole Challenge so it worth doing it 1,000 % (at least I’ve found it so despite I’ve done Northern Challenge 25 instead previously).

Hwyl!

1 Like

Brilliant! Thank you.

I did miss it as I’ve only just got in from work but will download it now.

Cheers

2 Likes

And the publishing of Challenge 25 L1 southern is a sign that we’re moving, I promise, not a flash in the pan…:wink:

1 Like

Hey, @RichardM if you maybe missed, @faithless78 published notes to Challenge 25 here

Enjoy learning. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks again all. Pleased to report I have done challenge 25 today and cracked back on with course 2 session 6. I’m hoping the wobble is over for now!!

3 Likes