Hey guys! Brand new here, and I have a couple of questions

Yikes, absolutely not!

You’re trying to learn the language - not to be able to ‘do a lesson flawlessly’.

The lessons are practice sessions - they’re not meant to be mastered, just worked through.

You’re not meant to be remembering everything - by a LONG shot!

I would recommend pushing on through to 5 or 10 and then seeing how you feel about Lesson 1 - if it’s just as tough as the first time you did it, you might be in my original ‘2’ - if you notice that it’s easier by then, you’re in ‘1’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your answers! I’ll certainly be using this advice. I’m a perfectionist so it’s very frustrating for me. I will just listen though, and see what happens when I get to lesson 5. Thanks all!

5 Likes

No help from me, just Croeso, Welcome and you will find all sorts of help here, some linguistic, some on using the Forum! To quote as I just did, you just highlight and click on the result. Unless you are using the app, in which case you need to ask someone else, as I am hopeless with that!
To be sure of getting someone’s attention you put @ before their Forum name and as you start to type, you’ll get offered a list of possibles and need to click on the one you want, like @henddraig or @f1sh3rman99 which I got as soon as I typed 1 after f!!!
“Really useful how to stuff…” is a useful topic, click here to see and use left arrow above to get back!
And yes you did start a new topic. Use the big Q above to search for topics but start new if nothing seems to fit!
Also, where are you? It would help you a lot to get chats in Welsh.

Perfectionism does make it tougher - unless you can manage to switch the focus of your perfectionism from ‘getting every phrase correct’ to ‘doing the course in exactly the right way’… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And I would add to Aran’s reply by suggesting trying to listen as perfectly as you can. We very often don’t (me, very much included).

4 Likes

Helo Mr Perfectionist @f1sh3rman99 :slight_smile: Welcome to the forum. Here’s ex Mrs Perfectionist actually one of them who just decided with a huge help of @aran and the rest of the members of this forum, to throw that perfectionism away and live more freely from then on! :slight_smile:

OK, this was a bit of a joke but now siriously.

From my own experiences, perfectionism will do you only harm as you won’t be able to fully enjoy the lessons and this for you won’t be able to learn as much as you woul if you’d take the whole matter at least a bit lightly.

I’m not sure how much this could help you but some of other members say my own journey described in Tatjana - Progress reports helped them to overcome some of their own troubles and difficulties. The story goes from very heavy stubborn perfectionist being determined that the system does not actually work for her to the (kind of) Welsh speaker /(with lots of errors even nowdays) who nowdays is not afraid to speak with anyone and most of all is not afraid of doing any, even the worst grammar or other mistake while speaking.

Apart from that: do what others say, what means don’t endlessly repeat the challenges, don’t be afraid to make mistakes and don’t be afraid to speak loudly if even with yourself or the nature around you for the beginning. You started the journey which would be hard from time to time aswell, but the things will pay off at the end.

Well done on starting your way of becoming a Welsh speaker and welcome to the forum and this brilliant community once again.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi and welcome, Fisherman.
Just double check that you are on Level 1, Challenge 2. If so that’s great. You don’t want to inadvertently go to the slightly older “courses/lessons”. I guess that you’ve picked the N or S Wales variation to suit your preference.

Back to your Q1 -
Yes, “Topic” means a thread or folder of original post and replies. So you did well. Alternatively you can browse through the other topics and dive in if you want.

Incidentally, I find the “Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread” quite handy for, well, miscellaneous “Tiny questions with quick answers” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m also new to the boards, and my question is about the perfectionism issue. I’m not sure I see how to mesh “plowing ahead, making mistakes” with Aran’s statement at the end of Lesson 1 that I’m ready to go on when I can get 80% of the sentences before Catrin says them. It takes me 4-5 times through a lesson before I can spit the words out fast enough to beat Catrin most of the time. After 8 days, I’m ready to start Lesson 3. Am I being too perfectionist?

Thanks, Sheila
P.S. Is it okay to tag a related question onto an existing question, or is it better to start a new topic?

1 Like

I think @aran would say that’s old advice now. Certainly you don’t need to get 80% ‘right’ before moving on. Newer advice mught be to do 1,2,3,4,5 and then, but only then, go back to 1, and be surprised at how much has stuck.

Pob Lwc

1 Like

Hi Sheila, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
Could I ask first, are you doing the old course or the new levels?
Since Aran made the recordings with the ‘80%’ statement, the course has developed somewhat and @Aran himself has said that ‘80%’ is no longer the ‘rule’. I’ve tagged him here because he can explain better than I can, but basically don’t worry about reaching the ‘perfect 80% of the time’ - it’s not necessary. The amount of repetitions people do vary - some do go over the lessons more than others, and that’s fine, but the main thing is not to dwell too long on them. The new material is designed with spaced repetition, so you will find that even things you struggle with come back later. Also, you don’t have to get the sentence out perfectly before Catrin comes back in - as long as you say something, even if it’s a different ending to the sentence, that’s progress.

A lot of people have said they’ve had the same feelings about this, but the advice is always to plough on. It seems counter-intuitive because it’s not the way any of us are used to being taught :wink: but plough on - the system really does work! :smiley:

1 Like

Helo Sheila, Croeso, Welcome to the Forum! I just had a thought. We are taught in school about right answers getting ticks and wrong ones getting nasty red crosses, or at least we were in the mists of the past when I was in school, but when we learn our first language we are very keen to get whatever we are wanting, at least I was! We (I) don’t wait to get things perfect! We yell ‘me! me!’ and learn ‘I’ later. We get praised for saying anything at all that makes sense at first! So maybe the intuitive thing to do is press on and just say something after all!

Yeah, sorry, we need to re-record all the intros and outros that say stuff like that. It seemed like the right advice at the time, but we’ve learnt a LOT more about the different ways brains work since then!.. :slight_smile:

I originally started doing the old lessons on the phone app three years ago and never made it beyond lesson 3–because I was trying to get it perfect. A week or so ago, I found the website and started with the Level 1 Challenge 1, which is what I now refer to as Lesson 1. Because I had listened to the introduction with the old lessons, I skipped the introduction until just before I posted my comment, but the 80% comment was at the end of the new lesson 1 and possibly 2 as well.

Well, I can see that I’ve been working at this harder than I needed to, particularly since it’s trying to imitate how Catrin pronounces each word that has been taking longer than anything. I’ll try going through these next few lessons faster. Since I don’t have anyone to speak Cymraeg with, I go around all day making up sentences from beth dw i’n gwybod a trio dweud o yn y Gymraeg. Okay, that’s my attempt to try to put things together even if that isn’t the way you say, “what I know and trying to say it in Welsh.”

2 Likes

That is the way you say it! Working hard is working! :smiley:
Not having anyone on hand to speak to is always going to make it a bit harder, but even talking to yourself/your pet/inanimate objects is definitely worth it. There are lots of forum members who use Skype or Google Hangout to chat with others who have no near-by Welsh speakers, so that may be an option for you at some point.

2 Likes

Sounds as though you’re really getting the bit between your teeth now - well DONE and good luck! :star2:

Where are you? Therenare local groups in lots of places. Then there is Skype in Aus and US as well as Wales and Europe!

Henndraig, I live in the United States in Fruita, Colorado, which is on I-70 just before it crosses into Utah. I finally found the map, and it looks like there is a champagne glass in a town about 75 miles away.

1 Like

@Sionned looks after the Map, if you want to go on. If you click on that glass you should find a name and can find out if the person is still on the Forum. Suppose the name was john.jones. Start typing @john.j well, all options vanished when i typed the full stop, so no such person. @sheila. gave me you and only you when I typed your full stop! The Please add me to the SSiW Map thread will be the place to give details to get yoirself on that!

Hello, Sheila! I’ve taken the liberty of adding you to the map (since you gave the information I needed here). If you would like the marker’s location adjusted any, just let me know.

1 Like

Hi Sheila, I’m just starting as well. Level 1 Challenge 8 for me this week. I live in Huntsville, Alabama. I’m one of those people that need higher repetitions for listening than for what I see. I’m settling for getting 3 out of 4 before going on to the next challenge unless the ones I don’t get are all on the same structure. I figure that my brain may need more time to integrate certain things. I’m finding this is true as on the following lessons I am surprised that I remember it.

Since I need more repetition for verbal material, I wait until I can pronounce a word correctly before seeing it in written form. That’s really helping me with reading some Welsh correctly.

1 Like