How to post in 'Speaking Practice'

I think it will be very helpful in here if we have a standard pattern for titles - to help people look for the kind of practice they need most.

How about this:

Decide if your question is SIMPLE or not. If it is, put SIMPLE at the front of the title.

Then: Question from [your name].

Then the level YOU are working on at the moment in brackets: [Level 3]

So you might have:

SIMPLE - question from Dafydd [Level 3]

Or

Question from Sian [Level 1]

How does that sound?

Any ideas for improvement?

7 Likes

Ah, I had wondered whether the ā€œlevelā€ I had seen in some titles was the level of listener that the question was aimed at, or what.

And my worry was for me that Iā€™ve supplemented SSiW with so much external material (and, truth be told, not listened to the SSiW exercises for so long) that Iā€™ve forgotten what is covered in which level and what is not in SSiW at all, so I would be hard pressed at times how easy or difficult a given sentence would be for a new learner in terms of grammar and vocabulary.

But if itā€™s the questionerā€™s own current level, thatā€™s easier to determine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly soā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hmmmā€¦ maybe we should make it 'currently doing Levelā€¦ ā€™ just to make double sure that everyone gets itā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I havenā€™t done the levels, should I go for something like ā€œWelsh speaker (2nd language)ā€?

1 Like

Yeah, good call :star2:

1 Like

This is great! Iā€™ve listened to all of the SoundCloud recordings and it immediately sparked my interest and resolve to record my own pretty dreadful self! Fellyā€¦ Iā€™ve registered with SoundCloud and now have an account, but how on earth to do I record myself/create the sound file to (presumably) upload, share etc? Anyone have any clues? Iā€™m running a pretty up-to-date convertible laptop thatā€™s running W10 and kept fully updated, and I had a good sniff around SoundCloud, but couldnā€™t see anything obvious about how to record yourself. Help! And whilst on the subject of Level 3 after the Xmas and New Year break in regular ymarfer I decided to go back to about challenge 22 of Level 2 and work my way back up again as I had found where Iā€™d got to (L3, Ch. 3) pretty bewildering. Having now clawed my way back up again, Iā€™m still finding it hard, but not nearly as hard as a month ago - phew! And yes, Iā€™m old enough to remember mangles! I always found it fascinating watching one being used. Anyway, I digress. Congratulations to the team for the wonderful work and especially for developing a few more challenges past no. 9 of level 3 which is where itā€™d got to when I last downloaded sometime in November, dw iā€™n meddwl.

2 Likes

Yes, go for it Caroline! There are a few different ways to record and I guess itā€™s down to personal preference as much as anything, but have a look at this thread where many of us posted which methods we use - Keeping up and technical problems

Personally, I use the built-in Windows 10 voice recorder on my laptop, then upload the file to Soundcloud, then share from Soundcloud to the forum. Others have other ways , but thatā€™s what works for me.

2 Likes

Gwych. Thanks loads @siaronjames. Maybe Iā€™ll get a chance over lunch. In the thick of kitchen plumbing works ar hyn o bryd

2 Likes

Congratulations Caroline. If itā€™s any comfort, the latest challenges seem less difficult. Probably because so much of the time is spent on the necessary spaced- repetition revision, that there really isnā€™t too much new stuff per challenge.

Regarding the practicalities of uploading: please ignore my comments on the above-mentioned thread.

I actually follow Siaronā€™s excellent explanation.
Pick Voice Recorder from your list of Apps and record your message.
In your Soundcloud account, click Upload and select the recording from the ā€œBrowseā€ option. Then save. A blue box will come up with the file name highlightedā€¦

2 Likes

:tired_face:ā€¦ Copy the highlighted file (as mentioned above). This is your link.
Come back to this page (?)
Paste your copied link.
Voila! (I hope) :confounded:

2 Likes

I think the only way you can do this directly in SoundCloud is via their app - which lets you record straight to the cloud - otherwise youā€™re stuck with recording locally and uploadingā€¦ :slight_smile:

I just used this to learn how to edit a file name on my Soundcloud recordings. Iā€™ve removed the sound file from here now.

Sorry to bother you all.
Please feel free to delete.

1 Like

OMG, here goes: https://soundcloud.com/user-413940423/ateb-i-jane-lefel-3/s-ie3Gb

6 Likes

Brilliant, well done Caroline! :slight_smile:
Iā€™m tagging Jane @Jane so that she can hear it (because itā€™s here rather than on her question thread).

Donā€™t forget to do your 5-minute list so that @aran can turn your pink bubble red (and record a question of your own so you can go ā€˜greenā€™, then heā€™ll be able to give you your blue bubble for answering a question!)

Youā€™re off to a flying start!

4 Likes

@siaronjames Hah! All those colours, very appropriate to sail through with flying colours. Right wellā€¦ better get on with it, Iā€™m still only salmon pink.

1 Like

If not earlier youā€™ll get red at the end of the weekend as during the weekends usually our techys or @aran arenā€™t too hard at work here on the forum. :slight_smile: But you never know ā€¦

1 Like

Well @tatjana - they work galed iawn, so they deserve some down-time! hwyl fawr!

1 Like

A tip: if you make the link a paragraph of its own (if itā€™s the only thing on its line, no spaces in front of it, and a blank line before and after), it will turn into a little embedded box where you can listen to it right from inside the forum thread:

5 Likes

diolch yn fawr @philipnewton - tatjana has kindly said the same and Iā€™ve now got a handle on it as they say across the pond. It works too - thatā€™s a bonus!

2 Likes