Level 1: remember long sentence. Help!

Hi, I know Estyn says not to worry but I’m up to challenge 15 level 1, i cannot remember the last bits of the long English sentences that needs to be said in Welsh. Very frustrating when trying to get my Welsh in before…
Really enjoying Welsh in 6 months. Determined to see it through to the end.

3 Likes

@garnetcalder We have nearly ALL had difficulties with those midway challenges, especially Challenge 14 which has become somewhat notorious. I gave up trying to get all those long sentences out and just pushed on regardless. You will find that it gets better as you move on to later challenges. it’s really not worth worrying about.

3 Likes

The answer is “Don’t worry about it” and just keep going. As long as you’re saying something in the gap, then that’s fine.

Actually I remember back when I was first learning Welsh with the old SSiW course (yes, it had long sentences too!) and I decided I would just concentrate on remembering the first part of the sentence in English, say that in Welsh, then listen to the rest and try to start understanding it. Because it was early days and there weren’t many lessons available, I sometimes went back to earlier ones, so that I didn’t miss my daily dose of Welsh. What I found was, when I heard the beginning of a long English sentence, that would trigger all the Welsh for that part to come rushing out in one smooth phrase, and I could then focus on remembering the second half. You will meet those longer sentences again in later challenges, from time to time, and you might find you have the same experience!

2 Likes

Diolch.

So glad to discover this thread! Thank you, garnetcalder. I am at Level 1 Challenge 12 and have been trying to decide if maybe I am just too doggone old to be doing this. Precisely because of the long sentences. I honestly thought it must just be me (hen ddynes).

1 Like

@emily Quite a few of us in the ‘wedi ymddeol’ bracket have had the same thought, and then been surprised to discover learners on here who are considerably older than ourselves and doing very well. Some younger learners admittedly are able to go through the challenges quite quickly; but equally there are other young learners who find exactly the same problems, and some added ones as well. And almost everybody does with those long sentences! So do stick at it - it’s CERTAINLY NOT just you!

3 Likes

The longer sentences are a challenge for me, too. I’ve started, wherever possible, saying the Welsh for the beginning of the sentence before Aran has finished the whole thing. This helps me to remember the rest, get further into the sentence and often to be able to finish before Catrin tells me how it should be said. Maybe this is cheating, though!

2 Likes

Absolutely not! It’s an excellent tactic… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes that what I am trying to do now after reading Dee’s reply. I am finding the first part of the sentence is a sort of auto pilot response. I often get the second part wrong but with the same type of answer needed such as saying …dwedodd e bod e’n moyn … because I think Estyn says…".he said that he wants…" when it really should be “he said that he likes…”

Anyway I am sure not many people us long sentences in conversation!!!

1 Like

Hi, I am glad to see this… I have just started challenge 01 and finding it tricky even with that one ! Thought I might be past it…though I like the idea of practicing using the language as you go

2 Likes

Only just starting the six month course & having real trouble with the long sentences. I can even repeat the English back let alone put it into Welsh! I don’t expect I ever will as I can’t remember things just said to me generally & I’m only in my thirties.

@nerysparry - Except for one or two exceptional learners, we nearly ALL have trouble with the long sentences, at whatever age. In the end I just learnt not to bother about them and pressed on regardless, and though I still consider myself a slow learner, after a year or more of having regular chats I can now speak a fair bit of Welsh at a reasonable level. If you stick with the 6-month course, I’ve no doubt you will be able to also by the end of it.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about the long sentences. I’m on level 3 and still have problems trying to remember what was said. I found it useful just to try and say in Welsh what you think was said. Remember nobody is listening to you and it’s all good practice anyway. Keep going you will be amazed how good your Welsh will be, and don’t worry about being perfect. People will always understand what you mean.

2 Likes

Ditto! :frowning:

Yes, this is absolutely true! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha (laughts, in a compassionate way…) : long sentences ? And what about having to pass, furthermore trhough another language !.. For my part, since I’m not a fluent english speaker, at times my brain has to first translate from english to french, before trying the welsh… For example, I always mistaked (not anymore) the verbs “practice” and “improve”. The time my brain reminds which one is which one… time has gone not only to repeat, but to remind. That’s whyy the pause button is welcome, and at least, write the english sentence, it helps.
Well now for “practive” and “improve” : I found a mnemonic mean, so it’s OK, but some other complications on other words are surely coming around soon !

4 Likes