Level one, challenge 13 - unlucky for some?

Hi all, I completed Course One (S) a little while back, and after a short learning break, decided to have a stab at Level One.

I’ve found it good, and certainly different to Course One. Not better or worse - just different!

I thought I’d been making quite good progress - that is, until I hit Challenge 13! For some reason, I’ve become really, really bogged down. After wading through a sea of treacle in the first half of the challenge, I hit a solid brick wall in the second half. Despite repeating it more times than I normally would, still nothing seems to stick and I’m like that rabbit caught in the headlights!

No doubt, “this too shall pass”. But in the meantime I’d be really interested to know whether anyone else experienced problems with Challenge 13…or is it just me?

Diolch, Gavin

Spot on Gavin, it will! I think probably all learners feel they ‘plateau’ (or discover the treacle sea :wink: ) at some point, and which point that is* will vary (I say this in the singular, but that doesn’t rule it out happening more than once!)

A very similar point was raised in the thread I’ve linked to below and as you’ll see reading through it, these situations are never ‘just me’ ones!

3 Likes

There’s some tricky stuff round about 12, 13, 14 - don’t worry about it, press on, and let it all come out in the wash…:wink:

2 Likes

Hi Gavin, I’m sure you are doing fine really. Talking about plateaux, I have a sneaky suspicion that the challenges aren’t set at a steady slope, but that they climb sometimes quite steeply and then somewhat less steeply, alternatively as they go. Perhaps challenge 13 is one of the steeper sections. Not to worry, drop a gear and get your head down into the wind.

You will look back at the view in a few weeks and think “I did that” and it seems easy(ish) now.

3 Likes

Just done Challenge 13-:scream::scream:.
Anodd or what?! I marked it as completed but don’t think I should have really as I found it incredibly difficult.

Don’t worry, they tend to go roughly in groups of six, backing off, inbetween :slight_smile:

Diolch!
I hit a wall with that one, I’ve been ok til now, but the wrthot and the wrtha’i, all at once-head-spin time!

1 Like

Many of us have got stuck on challenges 13 & 14, they’ve become a bit notorious. I’ve come to realise that, rather than spending more time on lessons where you hit a road block, it’s better to move on to the next challenges, which are a bit less painful. When you get to the end of the Level, you can perhaps skim back over bits like this that you found challenging, and they probably won’t seem half so bad.

1 Like

Diolch Alan, that sounds like good advice! I’ll press on :blush:
It’s certainly been true that the earlier lessons seem much easier now, plus I’m trying to translate stuff as I go about my daily life, listen to Welsh radio and watch Welsh tv too.
An exciting journey dwi’n meddwl :blush:

2 Likes

It’s because it’s not terribly well written… :wink: :flushed:

So you did exactly the right thing to mark it as completed - you’ve gone through the pain, you deserve to tick it off - and things don’t keep on getting tougher from here on, I promise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch, Aran!
Onwards and upwards-challenge 14 here I come :blush:

1 Like

You might also find challenge 14 a bit painful too - but it gets better beyond that, I promise.

2 Likes

I did it tonight AlanP and, yes, it was tricky in parts :scream:
The good thing is that I leapt on the things that have become embedded and they tripped off the tongue with relative ease.
So I’m going to trust the process…
I marked it as completed anyway, though it feels very like unfinished business :grin:

2 Likes

Gwych / Excellent!