Llecyn Barddonol - "Poet's Corner"

I use this dictionary quite often and had never used it for this purpose, only for direct, one to one, translations. I didn’t know you could do this, so thank you @Garys.

1 Like

Croeso mawr, happy to help! If you select “Part of a word or phrase”, it sometimes comes up with proverbs, saying or idioms. Perfect for satisfying the urge to be curious.

I have to admit that my first thought was ‘cheating’ and then I bookmarked it!! Because, in English I have a vast vocabulary built up over 75, no 74 years,( I couldn’t talk at birth!). If I wait to have the same facility with geriau Cymraeg, I’ll never write anything! So cheating is virtually essential!

1 Like

Now a question:

If you make a poem and switch the word order according to that (I believe this is allowed isn’t it) can a line in the verse be like this:

Oedd fy niofynnu ddydd.

It should be “oedd fy nydd diofynnu” (as far as I know) but when I turn the order does diofynnu (= default) get nasal mutation?

Or this one more of those ridiculous inbentions of mine again.

It’s easy to rearrange a sentence in English and still be understood, although it’s much easier when written down. I’m not sure how much that applies in Welsh, but in answer to your thought, @tatjana, I think the original mutations would be the one to hold on to, as there is so much context contained in, for example, “fy mhen”, that if you drop the “fy”, what’s left still means “my head”, because only my produces a nasal mutation. Songs leave out stuff quite often. " 'Sgen i’m " is short for “Does gen i ddim”, thus saving two syllables and keeping the rhythm while maintaining meaning.
Hope I explained that well?

I always wanted a little house called garte 'nghalon. Which is very dependent on the mutation, but not very good Welsh. I never lived where the name would have fitted. My cottage on Gower was in an area where Welsh names were seen as pretentious!

I hope I understand.

In a time with result of what I’m atempting to do you’ll judge did I understand correctly … :slight_smile:

Helo! Id like to join in with the Poetry Corner if i may.
I am just a learner but love to write poetry anyway, and am now trying very tentatively to have a go.
What i do have is an excellent guide to the 24 forms and an explantof them which i can email or post here. They are both separate and as as two page overview.
I am somewhat disabled so bear with me please when it comes to typos etc.
Id be happy to share in any way i can, and would welcome criticism both of my Welsh efoorts and of my other work!
Im trying to be a Gog and any help with the language would be welcomed, particularly if if can come straight to my Inbox!
Will post it up later on today.
Singing in Chains was and stil is my inspiration. I have the CD in mp3 form but dont tell Mererid!lol!

1 Like

Hi Ruth and Croeso mawr! I originally thought we’d have a bit of fun, but it’s nice to see I’m not the only one. I’m looking forward to following that link, thanks for the offer. :smile_cat:

1 Like

Hello again! The PMO site is interesting and i have posted on there some time ago and Tink and i have corresponded.

Its was her knowledge that helped me summarise the forms which I will post tomorrow.
Heres what i posted there. I was exploring how to use a Welsh form in English.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll post tomorrow from my other computer.
Ruth

1 Like

Hi sumsmeister
here is a link to a folder on the forms that are based on Tink’s sterling work at PMO

and here is my Night Sky poem, but i don’t think the grammar is right.
Awyr Y Nos

O fin nos i cannol nos
Heb siw na miw
Hwnt ag yma, yma ag acw,
Dym prysyrdeb
Y seren a’r y lleuad ym ymddangos.
Dwi’n tybiaf, weithiau,
Sut cymylau llwyd a’r tywyllwch
Yn rhoi genedigaeth i’r seren ac i’r lleuad.

Yr bore bach,
A’r doriad gwawr
O gam i gam
Cerdded ling di long,
Canu’n iach
Cyfarch ac ymadael
Bob yn un.
Un tro;
Un lle;
Ble y’lleuad llad i gwair ffyrdd
Yn yr awyr, lled cae.
Roeddwn i yn effro a gweld ais hin.
Huddoliaeth. Swynion.

3 Likes

Ruth that’s a great offering! How long have you been learning? You have expressed some lovely thoughts in there and as for the grammar, as far as SSiW is concerned, it doesnt exist in the spoken world, just as long as the person you’re chatting with understands your ideas, crack on! If you’re looking to be chaired as a Bard, you may be concerned with Grammar or even grammar, but this thread is about trying stuff out and enjoying the process. I’ve appreciated feedback after my previous efforts, but I’m not sure if you’re looking for some input? I’m only a novice so I don’t understand Yr Heniaith as a mamiaith speaker might, so I must be clear that I don’t always understand how thiongs fit together…

How about a new starting line for an Englyn Milwr? Or shall we try another form - thanks to Ruth we have a chance to explore!? Or shall we take a topic and go off on our own?
I know I started this thread, but where we go is up to us, not me…

Thanks - and yes i always welcome feedback, please!
It came from a bit of help - list of phrases in a book that caught my ear and i thought i could develop a poem from that. Then we had that moon, last year, and i thought i could write about it using the phrases as some of the blocks for it snd work something around it. Sadly ive not been so well so have not been able to continue in quite the same way, but want to again, so joined the gang here. maybe we could have a theme to write around and maybe brainstorm some phrases that could be built into some verse like ‘a bod yn onest’ and see how many different spins on this we could find, and then use them to perhaps be starting lines…I’d like to practise the past tense using ‘ron i’n…’ as the starting point for each line…I dont know whether that makes sense!

Wow! Croeso Ruth! I started reading your first coracle poem and could see at once that I will never be in your league in either language! I have been known to write doggerel verse to amuse (WI Minutes, short play in verse, Panto, how I came to research prostitution in Victorian Swansea (and me a Local Preacher at the time) etc.etc. A Bard I never was and you are!! Lwc dda with everything! I’m sending you an invite to sign a petition, as I think you are not in Wales,

Some interesting input, Ruth. I think if you want to suggest anything, you will get a reaction from everybody - just go for it!
Here is another start-line for an Englyn Milwr:-
Pan crwydro drwy Cwm Idwal,

It’s an amazing place, Cwm Idwal and features on 9Bachs vid here:- https://youtu.be/lajWevmXbLA
Deserves to be on everyone’s bucket list, imo.
Well worth looking up the story behind the name and the area is also an SSSI.
Which is an invitation to do a little research, folks!

Hi everyone after not posting in this thread for quite a long time.

I’m suffering from cold weather we have quite a lot so I’ve just put this together some minutes ago.

Mae’n dydd oer yma
Bydd ddim yn well yn fuan
Ble oedd haf ‘n mynd rhwan?

But paid poeni. I’m on the warm in my house right now it’s just that I’m already tired of cold mornings at as early as 5:20 or so o’clock. In the Summer it’s much more pleasant to wake up and go to the work at such hour then now in winter … :slight_smile:

I hope I did at least a bit good work with this Eglyn Mylwr.

You can use first line to put together your own if you want to (play). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This poets corner went to slumber so I thought I’d post something here. Those who follow me on Clecs or were reading my “My Challenges” thread know some of the bits and pieces but for all the rest, here are some of my “poets of hope and light …” I hope they’re worthy of some reading. And no … I’m FAR (uhhh, how far) from appearing as a bardd. :slight_smile:

Joyo anyway.

(The artworks are created by me too. First with FlamePainter, second with ArtRage and third is combined artwork of Amberlight, Bryce and Paint.net).

4 Likes

I’m continuing my “Light and hope” journey on Clecs. It’s more of wishing something nice to all then about poetry but anyway, here we go. I’ve posted this on Clecs 3 days ago. Enjoy.

And translation:

Water,
Water blue, water green,
Water endless, water pure,
Water which can give or take a life
Give if one is honest and take if one’s untrue.

Haven’t thought to visit this thread for a while - my attention has needed to be fixed in other directions for a while. What brings me back is this:-

“Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot,
We’ll weather the weather,
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not!”

Has anyone come across something similarly alliterative in Welsh?
Shall we try to write something like it?
Shorter maybe…!

3 Likes