March Manchester Meet Up

Next Manchester Meet is this Saturday 20th February 10.30 onwards, Manchester Art Gallery Cafe

You now have the choice of Welsh or Spanish as the 2 groups run alongside each other with occasional heckling from one to the other! :slight_smile: Last month’s group was very quiet so hoping more of you can brave the cold and join us.
As always all welcome whatever level and lots of nice cakes in the cafe! :slight_smile:

Sorry I’ve had to start this as a new topic. I couldn’t figure out how to edit the January one despite having managed it so far every other month!!

2 Likes

Hmmm… there might be some kind of time-related cut-off point for editing going on with the forum software, perhaps - if so, sorry about that! :sunny:

1 Like

Or it could be me not seeing the obvious Aran. I seem to remember struggling once before then I just came across the edit option by possibly doing something different…but can’t remember what!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will have to give my apologies for Saturday.We have a last minute cancellation slot for a hospital appointment for a family member and I need to be there with him.

Here are the links to the Facebook pages where you may be able to see if other members intend going.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/947259471955468/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DysgwyrCymraegymManceinion/

Hope all goes well. :slight_smile:

Oh, very sorry to hear that - hope everything goes as well as possible for you all.

1 Like

Thank you Aran :smile:

1 Like

I promise to make one of these some day! This weekend however I am off to Warwick Uni for a brass band competition (UniBrass - an intervarsity brass band competition that my brass band set up!).

2 Likes

Next Manchester meet up is this Saturday, same time, same place. See start of thread for details. I’m determined to be there this month, having unavoidably missed the last 2! I think it’s been rather quiet recently so hoping I won’t be Billy no mates this month :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jeanbrandwood Don’t forget that you’re always welcome to travel across to Liverpool and visit our conversation group at Bethel, near Penny Lane. It’s not really all that far, and we meet on virtually every Monday. There were about ten of us there yesterday evening. Check our forum thread to confirm that there will be a meeting in any particular week and see our web page for location details. There are tea and biscuits too!

3 Likes

Thanks Mike. May well do that! You the same here of course! :smile:

2 Likes

@jeanbrandwood Thanks for the invitation. I won’t be able to attend your session this month, since I’ll be staying in Pen Llŷn for the next week, but perhaps I’ll be able to recruit some of the people from Bethel for a visit to one of your sessions in future. Please give our greetings to the rest of your group!

1 Like

Thanks Mike, will do. Lucky you in Pen Llyn…my favourite spot. We will be there later this year. :smile:

The Spanish meet isn’t looking likely either.

Hopefully April will be on. I’ll be there for Welsh if none of the others turn up for Spanish.

1 Like

The Welsh group is on this weekend Ian if you want to return from the Dark Side!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Im a fluent Welsh speaker living in Manchester. My other half wants to learn and would like to attend in April if possible.

Additionally , I recently travelled south america and would like to learn Spanish. Are both the Welsh and Spanish meetups held at the same time/place? What level of experience in the languages are required?

1 Like

Hi Sara. People of all levels are welcome at both groups. Yes they run alongside each other with occasional bits of banter between!! It would be lovely to see you and your partner whenever you are able to make it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know where that month went but this next Saturday 16th April is the next meet up. Same time , same place - see beginning of thread for details.

All welcome. Hope to see you there. There were just 2 of us last month! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m planning to travel over from Liverpool tomorrow to get an extra opportunity to practice my Welsh at your April meeting. I look forward to meeting you!

1 Like

Thanks very much for your hospitality this morning. As promised, here are some brief details of the forthcoming festival in Liverpool to commemorate the Roberts family, who were prominent members of the Liverpool Welsh community. They were responsible for building thousands of houses in the city and were active in public life as members of both houses of Parliament. The festival consists of two lectures and a concert on 11th June, plus a chapel service on 12th. I expect that full details will appear on the Liverpool Welsh website soon, as they did for last year’s festival commmemorating The Mimosa.

The web site also has a page advertising our Monday evening sessions for learners. You are welcome to attend and practice your Welsh if you happen to be Liverpool, of course!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike. Great to meet you yesterday. Hope to see you again soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes