Meddan Nhw

In Level 2 ( new Course) Meddan nhw is used to mean they say. As this a northern term what is the equivalent in the south.
I cannot remember coming across this in the old course so your help would be appreciated
Brian

To be honest, I’ve learnt but forgotten this as shortenings are really one of my learning pains, however here’s Course guide to Level 2 Southern which until someone answers your question, might be of any help to find equivalent of “Meddan nhw” in it.

Since you didn’t write which Challenge this is in I couldn’t find anything cruising through audio files, but to be honest I didn’t take a look into this guide either.

Hope you manage to find something in the mean time until someone comes along and answers your question.

Gog - Level 2 Challenge 22 (if not 21)

Justin

1 Like

Yah, I knew it was gog, I know also that equivalent to “Meddan nhw” is sought in de, but Challenge was never mentioned. Now … one of more advanced learners who doesn’t do only SSi course or @aran or @Iestyn should help here since we on de course are only at Challenge 13 yet what means Northern Level 2 is 10 Challenges ahead of ours (southern).

I don’t think this is a gog-ism is it?

I mean it’s “standard” as much as anything in Cymraeg is standard. Happy to be corrected though.

2 Likes

Shwmae Brian,
I’m guessing you have reached challenge 20, which at present isn’t available on the southern course.
In the old course 3, lesson 21, we are taught “wedan nhw” to mean “they (will) say”, although you’re not actually introduced to this short form, only you will pick it up during the lesson.
I’m not sure if, when we get to challenge 20 in the southern course, we will be taught this very same form (some of the short forms we learned in course 3 were very colloquial). But I’m sure it will be very close to this.
Hope this helps in some way.
Gav

1 Like

Yeah, just Welsh, I think :blush:
Certainly used in a “they say” sort of way here.

There are two different verbs being discussed here. The general word ‘say’ does have a north/south variant, so you’ll hear it as ‘dweud’ (often ‘deud’) in the north, which then softens to ‘ddweud’, and ‘gweud’ softening to ‘weud’ in the south.

The verb ‘meddai’ also means ‘to say’. But according to my dictionary it is used in conjunction with quoted speech (I must confess I have most often read it rather than heard it). My dictionary also says 'The expression ‘meddai nhw’ is used for the doubtful ‘so they say’ in response to a statement: ‘Mae eira ar y ffordd.’ - ‘Meddai nhw!’

2 Likes

Many thanks to you all for your help.
Brian

1 Like

Yes, it’s a story-telling verb used in literature. Which is why in spoken Welsh it’s only really used in the way you mention. So it’s quite rare, but can be very effective!

3 Likes