Memrise - New Cornish course

Hi,

I’d imagine some of you have already found this, but there’s a new Learn Cornish 1 course on Memrise - what’s great is that there voice recording along with it - another chance to hear the dulcet tones of Pol Hodge (!), and a good complement to the Say Something in Cornish course. I’m really enjoying using it.

11 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the share! Would probably be of use after completing Level 1 (getting a good grasp of the language, then onto some written Cornish!).

4 Likes

Oh, excellent! I did hear something about this through the Kernewek grapevine, but hadn’t looked at it yet. I’ll have to give it a go.

I’m currently doing the new course of KDL (Kernewek Dre Lyther — Cornish by correspondence) in my own time, which I’d definitely recommend for people who would like to get a better grasp of written Kernewek, but the audio element of it isn’t very strong, so it’ll be good to have another course to do alongside it — and all the better to have Pol in it, of course. :wink: (I’m doing KDL in Kernewek Kemmyn rather than SWF, but there’s not a huge amount of difference, mainly just slight changes in the spelling.)

4 Likes

I’ve done a little of the new Memrise course now. Nothing very new so far, as it’s very basic to start with (greetings, goodbyes, “how are you?” and so on), but I think it makes a really good complement to the SSi course — especially since, as it stands, SSiCornish gives a lot of good basic sentence structures but very little in the way of how to strike up an everyday conversation. So it looks like this Memrise course could be really helpful to new learners in that regard. It’s not as strong on listening and speaking as SSi, naturally, but still very useful to have the audio component alongside the written words, as a lot of other Kernewek courses that are available online for free have little or no audio. (I love how Pol pronounces “marthys”!! :grin: )

5 Likes

Marthys dha!

Does anyone know if there will be other levels? Plus an opportunity to drill verbs?

I’ll try it once I’ve got lesson 10 firmly in my grasp.

Ah, this one! This is not that new anymore but yes, I agree it’s good though.