New Learner - Hello SSiWers

Welcome to the forum and to the Welsh language.
To be honest, I’m speechless- in a very, very good way.
I just so much want to hear the story behind this incredible, wonderful, bizarre (in such a good, good, way!) three month journey!

2 Likes

Hi Sionned,
To be a little more exact, Brunei on Borneo. And here is a tarantula I snapped in the jungle last night in a very ready state. Provoked my myself and a very long vibrating stick.

Richard

4 Likes

Hi Owainlurch,
Long story short. Picked up on the language by chance and fell in love with it. Originally from Lloegr now working on Borneo. Trying to save some money for an affordable property. Prices are more attractive in Cymru than Lloegr and apart from the weather in Wales things look quite appealing. South West Wales I believe speak more Welsh than the south east so a move somewhere in the south west is more likely. The language has been all go since I started early July 2015. Iestyn’s SSiW challenges have been playing over and over and over. In quiet times I mumble what I can in Cymraeg and find I enjoy talking to myself (don’t tell the men in white coats this). The phrases are now becoming quite familiar with less time pondering over the required translation. However, I am aware that all learning is so far stored in my short term memory and unless I continue this trend, I will lose what I have learnt thus far. I have a target to take a break after Challenge 12 and consolidate what I have learnt for a couple of weeks before moving on to the next challenge.
Looking forward to a Welsh victory in the upcoming Lloegr v Cymru game.
Richard

5 Likes

Eeek! this arachnophobe wishes that picture weren’t quite that big!

Re: where to live: I have to say that I love living in Cardiff (slightly off message, I realise, as SE not SW). There is a small but rapidly growing Welsh-speaking community here, and lots to do.

The SW is a really lovely area, so it really depends on what you’re looking for. I really like Narbeth (where my mum used to live), which has become quite ‘chi-chi’ recently. And we spent a weekend in the summer at Llandudoch (St Dogmaels) which is a gorgeous village on the Teifi estuary, very near Aberteifi (Cardigan) - a town well loved by Bwtcampwyr and where there is a fair amount of Welsh spoken, I think. Then that coast from Aberteifi down through Pembrokeshire is stunning. My friends really like Newport, Pembs, but we found it a little too full of posh English people (but perhaps that was the time of year we were there?)

TBH, you’re spoiled for choice. But no tarantulas (I hope!!)

4 Likes

Hwyl from hen to coch!!

1. There is a ‘What’s outside’ thread with ‘Warning Copyn’ to protect arachnophobes like me!! (I had a nasty experience with an invading, non-British 8 legged monster when I was quite young!).
  2. You are doing incredible well, but I warn you that @Iestyn has an eastern accent. People in the south west will ask which of the valleys you come from!!
  3. I now live in Yr Alban (Scotland) and could not share a country with your 8 legged friend. I used to live on beautiful Gower, which is just next to Swansea, lovely, expensive and, now, almost entirely English speaking. I think you would find more Cymraeg by going into Ceredigion, but I’m not really qualified to advise as I moved here 12 years ago!
  4. We have a World Cup thread. I am worried, we have too many injured and didn’t play well against Uruguay.
2 Likes

Let’s put some input here …

Here it is: What’s Outside

And here we go with rugby thread: Cwpan Rygbi’r Byd - 2015 - Rugby World Cup

2 Likes

[quote=“YDraigGoch, post:10, topic:3492”]
To be a little more exact, Brunei on Borneo.[/quote]
Hooray! Another marker in a previously empty-of-markers area! But I gotta admit, that tarantula makes me shudder, too!!!

3 Likes

Croeso @YDraigGoch

Places: Well, some people here with an utterly un-unbiased opinion say that Llandysul, Ceredigion is not only the best place in Wales, but the best place in the world! :slight_smile:

However, you have a get-out clause if you must live somewhere near the sea.
Or in the mountains.
Or in a city.
Let’s face it, you can’t go far wrong wherever you choose.

3 Likes

What an absolutely fantastic first post! :star: :star2:

And how very seriously cool to have a marker in Brunei!.. :sunny: :sunny:

2 Likes

Hi Sarapeacock,
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry about the rainforest shock. Here’s one for you. These two cuties are currently nesting on one of our outside lights.

2 Likes

Sorry sionned about the rainforest shock. Try these sweeties currently nesting on one of our outdoor lamps.

I hope this is the last posting I make without using any Cymraeg. I feel a bit of a fraud not using at least a few words having gotten through Level 10.

3 Likes

Hi mikeellwood.
Just to say that I might take you up on the Ceredigion location. It’s on my shortlist.
Diolch yn fawr.

3 Likes

@YDraigGoch you should really post in What’s Outside topic. And if you know the Welsh name for them, even better. The discussion about wildlife and similar stuff is very alive on there so join us! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that’s more like it! Cute and fluffy is great! (I know some people think tarantulas are cute and fluffy … but some people are strange :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Oh dear - I rather liked the spider - interesting blue colour on its front feet. Echreiddig = eccentric ! The spider or me…??

3 Likes

I thought it glows blueish. It appeared to me as it’d come from the space somewhere … :slight_smile: (ah, imagination made its way immediatelly. Could write horrific story about this one. - hehe)

1 Like

So sorry, Anne - I do realise I have just called you strange. It was intended ironically (as I know I’m the one who’s strange for having such an irrational fear).

2 Likes

No offense taken Sara. I fully appreciate such fears. For me it’s heights. My daughter has just moved into a 5th floor apartment in Geneva… that will b rd a real challenge for me.

2 Likes

Ps sorry for typo. Should have just been ‘be a real challenge’

@ramblingjohn should see your pics @YDraigGoch and please, please use @tatjana’s link to find “what’s outside” and post pics there!!!
p,s, What are the soft & cuddly chicks?