New Learner - Hello SSiWers

Eeek! this arachnophobe wishes that picture weren’t quite that big!

Re: where to live: I have to say that I love living in Cardiff (slightly off message, I realise, as SE not SW). There is a small but rapidly growing Welsh-speaking community here, and lots to do.

The SW is a really lovely area, so it really depends on what you’re looking for. I really like Narbeth (where my mum used to live), which has become quite ‘chi-chi’ recently. And we spent a weekend in the summer at Llandudoch (St Dogmaels) which is a gorgeous village on the Teifi estuary, very near Aberteifi (Cardigan) - a town well loved by Bwtcampwyr and where there is a fair amount of Welsh spoken, I think. Then that coast from Aberteifi down through Pembrokeshire is stunning. My friends really like Newport, Pembs, but we found it a little too full of posh English people (but perhaps that was the time of year we were there?)

TBH, you’re spoiled for choice. But no tarantulas (I hope!!)

4 Likes

Hwyl from hen to coch!!

1. There is a ‘What’s outside’ thread with ‘Warning Copyn’ to protect arachnophobes like me!! (I had a nasty experience with an invading, non-British 8 legged monster when I was quite young!).
  2. You are doing incredible well, but I warn you that @Iestyn has an eastern accent. People in the south west will ask which of the valleys you come from!!
  3. I now live in Yr Alban (Scotland) and could not share a country with your 8 legged friend. I used to live on beautiful Gower, which is just next to Swansea, lovely, expensive and, now, almost entirely English speaking. I think you would find more Cymraeg by going into Ceredigion, but I’m not really qualified to advise as I moved here 12 years ago!
  4. We have a World Cup thread. I am worried, we have too many injured and didn’t play well against Uruguay.
2 Likes

Let’s put some input here …

Here it is: What’s Outside

And here we go with rugby thread: Cwpan Rygbi’r Byd - 2015 - Rugby World Cup

2 Likes

[quote=“YDraigGoch, post:10, topic:3492”]
To be a little more exact, Brunei on Borneo.[/quote]
Hooray! Another marker in a previously empty-of-markers area! But I gotta admit, that tarantula makes me shudder, too!!!

3 Likes

Croeso @YDraigGoch

Places: Well, some people here with an utterly un-unbiased opinion say that Llandysul, Ceredigion is not only the best place in Wales, but the best place in the world! :slight_smile:

However, you have a get-out clause if you must live somewhere near the sea.
Or in the mountains.
Or in a city.
Let’s face it, you can’t go far wrong wherever you choose.

3 Likes

What an absolutely fantastic first post! :star: :star2:

And how very seriously cool to have a marker in Brunei!.. :sunny: :sunny:

2 Likes

Hi Sarapeacock,
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry about the rainforest shock. Here’s one for you. These two cuties are currently nesting on one of our outside lights.

2 Likes

Sorry sionned about the rainforest shock. Try these sweeties currently nesting on one of our outdoor lamps.

I hope this is the last posting I make without using any Cymraeg. I feel a bit of a fraud not using at least a few words having gotten through Level 10.

3 Likes

Hi mikeellwood.
Just to say that I might take you up on the Ceredigion location. It’s on my shortlist.
Diolch yn fawr.

3 Likes

@YDraigGoch you should really post in What’s Outside topic. And if you know the Welsh name for them, even better. The discussion about wildlife and similar stuff is very alive on there so join us! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that’s more like it! Cute and fluffy is great! (I know some people think tarantulas are cute and fluffy … but some people are strange :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Oh dear - I rather liked the spider - interesting blue colour on its front feet. Echreiddig = eccentric ! The spider or me…??

3 Likes

I thought it glows blueish. It appeared to me as it’d come from the space somewhere … :slight_smile: (ah, imagination made its way immediatelly. Could write horrific story about this one. - hehe)

1 Like

So sorry, Anne - I do realise I have just called you strange. It was intended ironically (as I know I’m the one who’s strange for having such an irrational fear).

2 Likes

No offense taken Sara. I fully appreciate such fears. For me it’s heights. My daughter has just moved into a 5th floor apartment in Geneva… that will b rd a real challenge for me.

2 Likes

Ps sorry for typo. Should have just been ‘be a real challenge’

@ramblingjohn should see your pics @YDraigGoch and please, please use @tatjana’s link to find “what’s outside” and post pics there!!!
p,s, What are the soft & cuddly chicks?

I know this is off topic, but my experience as a child with the sider knocking over my clock was preceded the night before by a dream about a hand on my pillow, which I realised afterwards may well have been the spider!! (I was very glad I didn’t wake fully and find it at the end of my nose!!)… but if it had bright blue glowing feet,!!! Horror! :scream:

1 Like

I (for now) share happy story with (little tinny though) spiders. Me and my husband couldn’t have kids for quite long time (well at least 3 years of your marriage seamed long time to me) and then one day we found little spider climbing the bath in the bathroom. If we wouldn’t see it one of us whould wash it into the canal and it’d surely die. My husband saved it putting it out on the shelf. Very short time after that I’ve got pregnant and 9 months later (in somehow magical 1999) we’ve got a strong healthy boy. He’s teenager now, devoted to computers, gaming and quite a bit of science. He studies languages (more or less kind of SSi way just that he doesn’t take any (not even our) lessons but just picks up what he’s hearing) and he knows a little bit of languages of his interest (Janapese, English (oh, well, that one he learns at school too but is very frustrated when there’s asked from him to literally memorize something) etc …

Yah, prety offtopic my answer too, but since we’re at spiders at the moment … well that saved spider didn’t have blue glowish legs though. :slight_smile:

And, yes, please @YDraigGoch, share your pics in that topic. @ramblingjohn would really be glad to see them. If you don’t know Cymraeg terms for those creatures, there’s surely someone who would find them for you. Welcome there in What’s Outside.

1 Like

Croeso, Richard - I’m back from bootcamp and raring to go (OK, raring to go… back to bed if the truth be told…)

Great hearing about your progress, and you will be more than Welcome in the South West if you decide to base yourself here.

Mike Ellwood says that Llandysul is the best place in the world, so you wouldn’t go much wrong moving here (!), but best bet is to come ona bootcamp and scope the area out. When we fist moved here, I asked a local mother what it was like to bring up children in Llandysul. She told me that it was great - “central to everything” were her words (in Welsh of course), and whilst some people laugh at that (including me at the time) she’s absolutely right…

We even have a rain forest centre fairly close by…

Iestyn

4 Likes