New user living in Belfast

Thank you for your help!

I’ve been on the map and found users near me. Not too sure how to view their profile though - can only view their user name but might be able to work it out hopefully!

Diolch yn fawr!

Thanks for the tip!

If you find a posting from someone, e.g. me and click on the avatar (picture by the name) you get a bit of a profile. @tatjana can you help further with this?

1 Like

Looks as though you’re already off to a great start! And a very warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile: Good luck with the course… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Patsy - I’ll add you to the map. When you click on a marker on the map, you should get a flag with a name on it. That will be the name used on the forum. (For example, yours when I get it there will say ‘patsyhughes’.) If you enter that name in the search bar on the forum (magnifying glass in the upper right corner) and that person is still active on this forum you will find a link to their profile. From there, you can contact them with a private message to see if they’d like to meet up.

The caveat is that, because SSiW has been around for several years and this is the “new forum” (as opposed to the “old forum”) some of the people on the map are no longer active and don’t have a profile on this forum. I don’t remove people from the map unless someone specifically tells me to (like the person leaving, or someone who knows they are gone). So if you put a name into search and no corresponding name/profile appears in the search results, that person is probably not around any more (sorry!). Hopefully you might find at least one or two near you - OR! - you could ask here on the forum if anyone else is in your area. Because the map only has a small percentage of the people actively using the forum and SSiW. Good luck!

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti!

Thank you very much - that makes a lot sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to also say croeso i’r fforwm Patsy!
As you’ve got some basic Welsh already, you should fly through these challenges no problem! Let us know how you get on with them, and if you ever get stuck, just tell us about it by here and one of us will be sure to have a solution for you.
And if you would like another e-pen pal, I would be happy to join in!
Best of luck with the course
Gav :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Warm welcome on here first from me too.

Then on, I didn’t go through the whole thread so it might be someone already mentioned it, but here is approximately everything on how to use the forum I hope you find something useful there.

Happy exploring and posting!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gwasanaeth Iechyd Gwladol (NHS).

You can tell me about your physio relatives in our first e-bost if you like? :smile:

I’ve sent you a private message with my address.

3 Likes

Diolch Gav!

And thank you for the E-pen pal offer! I’d definitely be up for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent! I will send you a PM now! :smiley:

2 Likes

Croeso, @patsyhughes! That’s lovely that you’re working to keep your daughter’s Welsh language legacy alive! Well done, you!

2 Likes

Hi Patsy, I’m based in Saintfield (20 minutes outside Belfast). I’m working my through Level 2. Haven’t actually had a real life Welsh conversation but I’d be keen at some point to try one.

2 Likes

Hi Brian!

Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here! I would completely be up for meeting and having a Welsh chat if you wanted to. Are you from NI or Wales originally?

1 Like

No worries. I’m local. Just started SaySomethingInWelsh as I heard that at some point they were planning on doing an Irish language version and I wanted to try the method out with a totally unfamiliar language. However I got too far along and i’m stuck now, can’t stop! Nearly at the end of Level 2 and will likely start Level 3 soon enough. I’d be keen to have the odd conversation and was looking into maybe doing some conversation classes if I could fit it in with work.

3 Likes

You’re not the only one that has become accidentally addicted. One person only started using SSiW because she was coming to Wales on holiday and wanted to be able to pronounce the place names correctly. She is now a fluent Welsh speaker, occasionally contacted by Radio Cymru for an interview when they want comment on something from a person living in the US! Yes, she is American!

And imagine what it’s going to do for Irish once that course gets off the ground! The number of Irish speakers around the world will skyrocket!

1 Like

I know they’ve started doing Welsh classes - and Irish classes - in the Skainos centre in East Belfast - not sure if that would be any help to you. I was so surprised to hear that there were Welsh classes here but then I think it’s part of a drive to push languages.

I’d be very happy with accidental fluency! I’m really keen to see the Irish course, the results with the welsh are pretty remarkable given the relatively short time and effort put in when you compare to other systems.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about the Skainos centre actually. I’ll have to look into that. I had just seen a few private tutors online offering conversation classes. It can only be a good thing with cross pollination of the different celtic languages. Given the negativity in NI to Irish anything to normalise language learning can only be good.

1 Like

It is a terrible shame when the baby and bath water are tossed out together! (If that saying is still known in this age when all have running hot water!)