Northern Luxury Bootcamp - 17th to 24th April 2015

Let me just check with the kids…

5.30, apparently. Don’t worry, I’ll wake you if your alarm doesn’t go off.

Ok, fine by me, you know I won’t be sleeping anyway because of the thunderous noise coming from Vaughan. Pencampwr o chwyrnu.

3 Likes

Happy Friday soon-to-be-bootcamp buddies :slight_smile: I thought I should probably say hello or something as we’ll be meeting each other in a couple of weeks… ! I’m @wondersheep’s other half and work for a charity but it’s ok - I don’t know how to ask for money in Welsh so you’re all completely safe :stuck_out_tongue: When I’m not doing that I love singing and am partial to the odd baking outburst - speaking of which, anyone not a fan of/unable to eat chocolate brownies with Dairy Milk in them (no nuts)? :smile: I’ll also have just been to my first ever tap class by the time bootcamp comes round so if you see me looking as if I might be trying to roughly approximate something that looks like it might be tapping but you can’t be sure, that’ll be why (I’m a bit excited!)

Never been on bootcamp before but loving the sound of the plans for the week so far - I’m a big fan of most things to do with food :wink:

See you all in two weeks!!

3 Likes

On the newbie front - is there any vocab that’d be useful to learn before heading out? Any words that aren’t in SSi C1/C2 that previous bootcampers have found to be dead useful?

I’m getting the impression that “Urgh, you need to shower after your run!” could be a good choice :smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Cath, I think you and I are going to get on just fine. :wink:

And a useful phrase to learn would be something like “fedra i ddim bwyta unrhywbeth arall, dw i’n llawn dop. Geraint, wyt ti isio’r gweddill?”

7 Likes

Oh dear. I suppose we’d better start organising something.

2 Likes

Naahh - it would take away the spontaneity. :smiley:

3 Likes

Bootcampers, brace yourselves for a week of ‘Well, Huw said…’

:star2:

2 Likes

Braced for just about anything already, tbh …

So am I right that musically we will have a couple of drummers with an electric drum-kit and a cajon, a number of singers and guitarists (and some close approximations), and my thing that can serve as a bass?

Plus a spotify play-list, a song book or two, and a big enough bwthyn that some of us can be playing at one end while others are preserving their sanity/tempers at the other end in relative peace and quiet, if necessary?

Gwych! :smile: :musical_note: :guitar: :musical_score: :smile: :musical_note: That sounds perffaith for jamming hwyl.

If anyone does want several of us to know one or two (or three or four) songs a bit before we get there, how about we pick a few now, so some of us can have something to build on already? The spotify playlist is great (for those of us with spotify), but too many to learn all of (for me, anyway, in the time available). And having printed out lyrics would help a lot for the singers, I reckon …

So here are two suggestions, from what’s been offered already - Tan yn Llyn is pretty, local and historical - the lyrics and chords are here - http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/tacircn-yn-llyacutenfire-in-llyn-lyrics-and-chords.html (you’ll want a capo on the fourth fret if you want to play along with the video that was posted earlier) - I’ll print and bring those.

I love a bit of ska/reggae, myself, so I’ll vote for “yn y dyfroedd tawel” from the spotify playlist (or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MV5wqLOXNk for non-spotify users …) - if I pick up a bass line, and work out the chords, can any of the guitarists keep up a reggae off-beat? (and if anyone wants to bring a brass section, that would be lovely). Can’t find the lyrics anywhere though … anyone fancy some transcribing?

What do people reckon? Any more specific suggestions?

2 Likes

Tan yn Llyn is a beautiful tune and should be easy to sing and no doubt we’ll learn how to put a capo on the fourth fret, whatever that is. (You’ll appreciate that I don’t know much, or indeed anything, about musical technicalities.)
One song local to the area that my father taught us many years ago is Fflat Huw Puw, which you can listen to, sung rather badly in a pub, here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_x8Kan32M There are other versions but this is, I think, the original. The lyrics are on Youtube. Another one I half remember from years ago is Fuoch chi 'rioed yn morio?, a child’s nonsense song about going to sea in a frying pan. You can hear this on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgwzaXNZCA . I can provide the lyrics.

2 Likes

Heyy!! Hmmm…oce, iawn, ddigon teg…
:blush:

Paid anghofio dy blwg glustiau te! :smiley:

:wink:

2 Likes

Given the number of songs I know the lyrics to in Welsh is roughly 0, this’d help a fair bit unless everyone’s ok with ‘la la la la la’ in a passably Wesh-ish accent as an acceptable equivalent to English :slight_smile:

Has anyone heard the Welsh translations of ‘Bring Him Home’/‘Music of the Night’? They’re gorgeous :slight_smile: I also heard a Welsh version of ‘Let it Go’ a while ago… without wanting to alarm anyone, I happen to have a backing track for that… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I might just about be able to sing along with something. I do actually own a guitar but, aside for playing 5 chords in a row (that I can’t name) I’m not much use with it, unless someone fancies trying to help me along with that. Could be interesting project - I can’t be any worse learning to play in Welsh than in English can I…?

One of the things about festival managers is generally they are frustrated musicians (i.e. rubbish) and get their joy from giving properly talented people a field to play in :wink:

[quote=“dinas, post:254, topic:929”]
This is the perfect Welsh classic for you…

And a great beer from Cwrw Llyn! -

http://www.cwrwllyn.com/index.php/cwrw-gwych-cwrw-llyn

[forum will not let me post any ew messages, because I am a new user!]

3 Likes

This is the perfect Welsh classic for you…

4 Likes

I was saying to Trace only yesterday how I can’t stand ska, honestly my least favourite genre. Sorry Mark. :astonished:

But I obviously don’t have to like it to play/listen along. :+1:

I think I can just about have the chorus nailed in time… not so sure about the verses :stuck_out_tongue:

Having now mastered scones, who’s up for a Welsh Cream Tea? :smiley:

2 Likes

Scones and harmonies? :star2:

Hymns and Arias?

2 Likes

Pain and suffering?

1 Like