Now LIVE: 'Some Sex and a Hill - or How To Learn Welsh in 3 Easy Pints' by Aran Jones

ahem…siaradwr ydw i :wink:

1 Like

The world will be pleased to know that either it or indeed i am not ready for singing of any kind!

Mae’n dydd arall yfori. … :slight_smile: (tomorrow is another day …)

Now you admit it - but you both took time! My real point is that @aran took a long time too! His excuse was that needle phobia, what was yours?

You know what mine was … that terror of “I have to be perfect!” (phobia) … oh new word for the English wordbook NOTPERFECTPHOBIA!

On the sirious note: Now I know why I’ve got that “special prize” (if you still can remember what it was). Diolch @aran eto ac eto ac eto …

V[quote=“henddraig, post:234, topic:6219, full:true”]
Now you admit it - but you both took time! My real point is that @aran took a long time too! His excuse was that needle phobia, what was yours?
[/quote]

My excuse? Complete lack of self confidence that I am good at anything or could be good at anything until I have proven I am good at anything.

I am a maths teacher by trade, an ex computer programmer. I recall with horror my early attempts at teaching. Now this past year I’ve realised I am pretty good at it judging by the A level results. It’s only taken me ten years to realise it just as I have managed to throw a spanner in the works. Oh well maybe some school in north wales needs an a level maths teacher who is trying to learn Welsh and they can turn a blind eye to the spanner and the trail of chaos and devastation left behind.

(Note, this probably sounds worse than it is, but for those of you who have seen my YouTube video sitting on the sofa for weeks on end can scramble your brain somewhat).

I sit at chat sessions marvelling at how good they all are as I stumble, mumble and generally spend a lot of the time staring into space thinking that this word will pop into my head sooner or later only to find everyone looking at me with baited breath whilst I have to concede defeat and go back to talking about sailing on the sea or any number of conversations I have already had about the same subject.

Yes, even teachers get tired of their own voice, if not their own jokes, after all every year brings a fresh audience. Maybe I should try sitting next to other people in the chat groups?

So at the moment I am trying to use my Welsh more. Out in the wilds. Ordering a fried breakfast took on a whole new level of terror when I made the schoolboy error of not realising there was a choice of toast or fried bread. At least I learnt the Welsh for fried bread. I’ll take that as a victory, knowing which side my bread is buttered, except of course it wasn’t as I blurted out bara wedi ffrio at the lightening speed of a 78 on a 33rm setting.

Then of course there was the hotel in Ynys mon. Excitedly approaching reception with my new found phrase of having booked a room…only to find they didn’t siarad Cymraeg. Same in a cafe where I was determined to order a cheese AND onion sandwich, extra chips, a black coffee and a caramel latte…oh with welsh cakes. I’m not sure if the rest of the cafe thought I had broken wind but the sheer swiftness of my deflation must have produced some sort of sound when she said can you say that in English. Note the emphasis on the AND…not just a plain old brechdan caws for me you di-cymraegers.

But other victories are happening, eg talking to a student about teaching, her course at unversity etc, but this was largely fuelled by language enhancers, or more commonly known as wine and beer.

So this weekend it’s aberdaron. More chances to practice speaking and ensuring I don’t misplace a vowel when asking for ice.

Excuse the long post, but I hope it conveys my terror at times and my disappointment too.

I’m getting there though…hell I have even recorded some poetry that may make it onto a nursery school play at some point. I have also today written 4 pages in Welsh of my learning journey that will doubtless one day form the basis of reception or year 1 reading texts, except of course the grammar, spelling and vocabulary could scar them for life.

Anyway, tonight I’m cooking, crab and chilli linguine and the pasta machine waits for no man, which is of course an authentic Italian idiom…honest :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you for your efforts with the book, Aran. The humour was great, and I learned I am not the only one out there to take the train before the train before! But your story has also left me thinking a lot about belonging; where we call home and what that means. It has certainly struck a chord. I hadn’t bought an electronic book before, but am very pleased that I have now done so. Diolch.

2 Likes

YAY! :smile: This made my day and as it’s @aran’s book, even better!

1 Like

I wouldn’t choose crab, but I admire you! Here I am, 75 and never used a pasta machine. I’ve always bought it! ‘Making’ spag bol with us was actually making the sauce and boiling the pasta!

Ooh, there’s someone else out there with this? Somehow in the mists of time and punctuality we must be related…:wink: [And diolch yn fawr iawn for your very kind words :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

I really have had to be very cautious when I have depended on cross-Pennine trains to connect with the ferry. Delays and cancellations are what happen to me in the UK. I will not live down the total bewilderment I caused my friends when I suggested that it might be wise to take a much earlier train to end my stay with them in Switzerland.

1 Like

V[quote=“henddraig, post:240, topic:6219”]
Making’ spag bol with us was actually making the sauce and boiling the pasta
[/quote]

Don’t get me started on spag bol. Hideous dish nothing like a proper tagliatelle with a decent meat ragu aka proper bolognese. :wink:

But the crab linguine was delicious and homemade pasta was great.

Can I apply for the position of resident expert if @aran does cooksomethingin please? :wink:

1 Like

Oops! I think I may be a guilty party, as well. I’m fairly sure I’ve posted a few things in Welsh on this forum over the past few months. Completely understand your reasoning. I’ll “cease and desist” at once.

Fortunately for me, I’m doing a fair amount of Facebook posting and texting to a friend in Welsh, so I won’t get the shakes. :wink:

1 Like

Before these lines there was expectation, tension about what comes next and while I’ve read them, there was the same angry and disappointing feeling in me as it might be it was in you. It’s maybe so because at one point of our (Slovene) history we had to fight for our language too. I wasn’t born at that time yet, but still there was always bitter feeling in me reading about my own nation and their fight for their language … so, yes, I can perfectly feel your rather disappointment and pain then real anger … it probably came later (or vice versa) … Whatever this is the first moment in the book which really struck me to the bits …

Reading continues tomorrow … (Expect me to read one chapter at the day. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I really understand this feeling.

I have been ridiculed by work colleagues for wanting to speak a ‘dead’ language. Often faced with comments like “he can’t help it, he’s Welsh”.

I have also been in situations where I have spoken Welsh only to receive a response of “could you say that in English” in a tone where all that was missing was rolling eyes.

On many threads I have read people suggesting a few standard phrases all should know. I myself suggested this to a company a few weeks ago after feeling exasperated that no one I spoke with spoke Welsh although in fairness they at least apologised for it.

There are many sentiments in the book that strike a chord with me, although the inclusive nature of this site prevents me from airing too many feelings as I welcome anyone who wants to speak Welsh. But the more I speak it, the more I realise how Wales and its people and culture are ignored, and the more nationalistic I become.

In my twenties I lived with a Welsh speaker. She was passionate about Wales. I scoffed as a di-Cymraeg, what’s the point, why bother.

I now see why. It’s the heritage and culture of a proud nation. You cannot to me just learn the language without feeling the pain of a nation and culture that is made to feel second best.

This post is in no way meant to be political nor offensive. It is the post of someone who wants to keep the language alive. But in order to understand why, I feel it is important that people understand the sentiments behind some of my views.

4 Likes

You’re certainly not the only one - it makes me feel nationalistic and angry, and I’m not even Welsh…

6 Likes

I’ve heard that one a couple of times myself. Although one event recently made me realise that occasionally it can simply be ignorance (bear in mind I’m not in the UK).

A classmate of mine was chatting to me and the subject of language came up. When I mentioned that I’d learned Welsh, she said “why? Isn’t it a dead language anyway?” I simply said “well, there are more than half a million people in Wales that would disagree with you there.” And left it at that.

The next time I saw her, she took me aside and said “I owe you an apology. I made fun of you for learning another language. That was ignorant of me - I think you’ve done something amazing.” I was quite shocked to be honest. I’ve been made fun of for learning Welsh fairly often, but usually I just shrug and let it go. But no-one has ever apologised for their ignorant behaviour before. Maybe there is hope for some people after all. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Well tonight I finished the book.

I cannot thank @aran enough for inspiring me to become fluent…not try to become but to become.

I won’t go into details, but learning Welsh is part of my identity. I genuinely feel I have found a home.

Aran, after a few private emails I think you probably know what I am referring to.

Diolch o galon. Mae’n ddrwg gen i, ond weithiau fedra i ddim yn defnyddio Saesneg. Dwi’n methu mynegi be’ dwi isio dweud. Rwan, a dwi’n gwybod bod hwn yn ffaith, dwi’n medru siarad y iaith o fy nheulu. Felly siaradwr ydw i.

Diolch eto.

5 Likes

JA, JA, JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! YN OLAF!

Thank you @pete. It’s morning, 6:55 at the time being in UK and you already made my day brighter although it’s foggy and cloudy, too dark here yet and will it brighten outside I don’t know, but sun is shining here right now thanks to you.

Dal ati Pete, dal ati!

2 Likes

Yup, well done Aran, I’m enjoying this a lot and there’s tons that’s instantly recognisable. You seem to have put some real effort into grammar which (sort of) doesn’t surprise me but has made me dig out the GK book with a bit of lingering guilt. I’ve only used it in rxtremis in 5 years😜 probably explains a lot. As others have said, the real desire to be a Welsh speaker resonated with me. I often get the “but you’re not really Welsh” thing and that’s half true but it’s not the point. My usual reply is that I’m not really English either but I have to speak that most of the day. Since my Dad’s family decided to take on their stage name and drop the Morgan cyfenw back to a middle name, our identity got a bit lost. Learning Welsh is giving me that part of the identity back. And that’s why it’s so important to keep going and trying even when idiots have a crack at me for learning my language and horror of horrors, using it!
It’s a great read but it needs more sheep :sheep: and I’ve asked Mrs G what sex is (since the book has let me down) and she has told me to get on with flooring the loft. Beth bynnag …

4 Likes