Ooh, look, some Manx!

For non-logged in if you choose Manx, the first lesson is available to all, no matter are you logged in or not, then for the next one you have to log in. What comes next I don’t know because I’m subscribed to Polyglot subscription + I’m a member of Growth Club so I can’t possible test this unless I create one more acount, which would be easy, but not fair though.

Or … if there exists a “test” acount or I’m allowed to create one, then I’d gladly test such “non-subscribed” things for the purpose of sharing things to those who are not on board yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

I’m not subscribed to Polyglot or Growth Club so I had a look, I can access all level 1 challenges but it asks for payment when I click on level 2. Not sure if that’s what you wanted to know? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mikeellwood Just to clarify…I am subscribed for Welsh only, and I can download all of Manx Level 1 (the first 10 Challenges). There is a fee to access Level 2.

Edited to add: Oops, posted at the same time as @nikkifoster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great minds … and all that :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s useful. Thanks. I’m guessing that the whole of level 1 is free to anyone, subscriber or not.
Thanks to @AnnaC also.

1 Like

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees … that’s what we wanted to know.

Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

YAY! I’ve got a helper in “tech supporting” members! :slight_smile:

Diolch @AnnaC i ti hefyd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s right - Level 1 is free, Level 2 is pay-per-session - once we have enough material available (say about 50 or so sessions) we’ll discuss moving over to the Welsh low monthly sub approach… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new Manx course is publicised on the isleofman.com website:

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/79653/new-manx-language-on-line-course-launched

Gavin

4 Likes

Another press release from over here - this time from Manx Radio. http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/teacher-takes-boozy-manx-challenge/

2 Likes

WOW @aran! This gets more nad more sirious! :smile:

Now this is fully public, giving more challenge to you.

:slight_smile: Good luck!

1 Like

Wales on Sunday, which is a newspaper of sorts…

4 Likes

Hmmmm … what if I write little blog entry on the biggest portal in Slovenia I have acount on ???

The thought is very temtive … It would not have mostly any influence on how many people would learn Manx but …

It goes viral @aran. :smile:

2 Likes

so here we go: @aran started his challenge already I presume and all info about it you can find in this topic.

And it went viral as I’ve promissed in previous post, so he can (maybe) expect tosm support from Slovenia aswell.

You wouldn’t understand the article as it’s in Slovene, but generally I’ve presented the site, challenge and how it is ment to be and then I’ve given the links to the SSi Twitter, FB and courses on this site in case someone gets interested in learning something.

Pob lwc Aran!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Just for those who don’t read “Other languages” forum. @aran is stil doing very well. He will survive. at 20:30 UK time he’ll have his “final test” speaking Manx with Adrian and I have no doubt, considdering all day hard work and tired brains at the end, he’ll do just fine in that test too.

1 Like

Oh, they did this very quickly…

http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/79782/learn-manx-in-a-day

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Da iawn ti un waith mwy.

I’d play with GTranslate to write this in Manx, but … there’s no Manx in GTranslate … So Cymraeg should do the trick. :slight_smile:

And it was actually not so quick anyway. Great job. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what others have found, but I at once tried to click on the SSi and I got nothing. After reading @tatjana and @AnnaC’s exchange, I tried again. Finally I tried clicking on FAQs and , from there, clicking on SSi… then I got the list of languages,
I always login directly to Welsh, since all the trouble I had getting sent into Spanish when I wanted Welsh!!!
ps. I listened to about 2 words of Manx and decided it is not for me!!

Things seemed to have changed a few times over the last few weeks, but I think that at one time (from the forum), if you clicked on the SSI at the top left, you got a list of languages. That’s not happening for me now. If I click on the SSI, it seems to go to the general SSI home page (not the forum).

If I go back to the forum, then click on Welsh, then click on Welsh again, then I get a choice of languages or all categories. It seemed slightly more intuitive the way it was before, but maybe it’s just a question of what you are used to.

I still think the circular icons with numbers in them that you get if you have messages outstanding, or posts replied to etc, need to be more prominent (e.g. in the top middle of the screen), rather than getting lost over on the right hand edge.

I tried that because I noticed SSi was SSi… and I got the list of languages! Things seem to be changing hourly!!
p.s. I agree with you about the icons to show messages. They were better positioned before! They seem to mess up all sorts of things now. I have also found less space above replies one is typing. It is harder to refer back and quotes from other topics, later leading to the ‘Do you want to reply here or,?’ question, there is nowhere to click for one option because it is hidden! Please @aran @Kinetic can we go back a few days to the way it was???

What’s going on here is, different behaviour between the forum and the main website. It’s always been that way - the list of languages was when you clicked on the arrow next to the language name, but you’ll notice that on the forum, there isn’t a language name. (This is because the forum is actually an entirely separate piece of software, and we’re only trying to pretend it’s part of the same site by emulating the appearance of the bar at the top.)

Anyway, you can get to the language list like this: look in the top left. If you see “SSi” without dots after it, that means you’re on the forum (but if you’re reading this then you probably knew that anyway :)) - click that SSi button and it’ll take you to the main website. Then, you should see “SSi…” with dots after it in the corner - click this to open the language list.

I’m afraid not. The forum is a piece of 3rd-party software - i.e. we didn’t write it, and I’m not in control of what features go into or out of it. Its creators periodically release updates in which the behaviour of things sometimes changes, and we don’t get to pick and choose which changes to include.

1 Like