Oxford Welsh learners group

As another South learner, I too found many of the variations familiar.

Do you know this? https://museum.wales/articles/2011-03-29/The-Dialects-of-Wales/
The sound quality is not great, but it’s a fascinating collection.
Sue

1 Like

Diolch @Betterlatethan I had a quick dip into this and, as you say, it’s fascinating!

Just had a listen to a couple of these - really interesting! One of the voices very much reminded me of the chap that wrote the 100 Lle book and it turns out he was from the same area as the voice I was listening to. I have not been very aware of accents (and even less, dialects) beyond the North-South divide before, but my ears seem to be tuning in, even if my brain isn’t keeping up!
Diolch @Betterlatethan :relaxed:

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s meetup …

2 Likes

Found this after Tuesday’s natter. Found it amusing!

3 Likes

Something ‘wedi cipio’ (or ‘wedi cael ei chipio’?) (to use a word from today’s meetup) from the And the WINNERS are thread:

• Welsh Prose - Post Beginner (@ gailrichards and @RichardBuck) - Gail Richards and Richard Buck (Joint winners)
  • Recitation - (@RichardBuck) - Richard Buck

Llongyfarchiadau Richard!

5 Likes

Would love to hear a Welsh-dubbed version of Family Guy! I wonder how they’d work around his OTT pseudo-English accent though? Perhaps make the rest of the family speak “Valleys” Welsh, and make him a super-Gog…?

(I think I’m going to print off that picture and stick it on the cover of my nodiadur bach! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I don’t know - I think I’d envisage it the other way around. In Rownd a Rownd terms, David as Stewie, and Meical & Michelle as Peter & Lois :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With half-term here this week we may be a bit thin on the ground but, if anyone can make the Tuesday Ashmolean Cafe meetup at 10am and/or Friday lunchtime MOMA cafe meetup, do post a message and I’ll join you.
Alternatively, for this week, maybe a Wednesday Ashmolean meetup might perhaps work instead?
Also, dusting off an earlier suggestion of occasionally having a lunchtime walk on a Friday, maybe we could do that this week if it makes it easier for @RichardBuck @rebecca (I know @cat-1 can’t make it this week :disappointed:)?

1 Like

I can’t manage Tuesday. Friday is looking possible at the moment.
Sue

1 Like

I can’t manage Tuesday or Wednesday, but I could probably manage 12:30ish Friday. I’m working that morning and then going to fetch the kids from grandparents in the afternoon – so no kids for a lunchtime walk.

1 Like

Thanks @Betterlatethan and @RichardBuck - Friday lunchtime is looking fairly hopeful then.
@mikeellwood I half-remember you saying you thought you might perhaps be able to make Tuesday - if that was the case, is that still on the cards?
Hwyl, John

Yes indeed John. (I wouldn’t be able to make Wednesday though, and as I mentioned, probably not this Friday, but that’s not 100% certain).

Just been watching the “Ar Lafar” programme about “ti” and “chi” that was mentioned last time I think. Very good. Just about to watch another that’s become available on iPlayer.

That’s great @mikeellwood I’ll see you there, then. Haven’t had a chance yet to watch the next “Ar Lafar” so I’ll be interested to hear about. Hwyl, John

Forgot to mention this morning the latest “Dylan Ar Daith”:

http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=532330409

About Goronwy Rees.

Part of it takes place in Rhydychyn!

I found it very interesting.

1 Like

Quick confirmation that we will be having our regular meetup this Friday, as usual from 12:00 in the MOMA Cafe, Pembroke St - hope to see you there. As always, all welcome!
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Just a reminder that we have two meetups scheduled for this week, the first on Tuesday from 10:00am in the Ashmolean cafe and the second as usual on Friday from 12:00 in the MOMA cafe.
Unfortunately, this week I won’t be able to make either of the meetups this week :disappointed: but hopefully @mikeellwood @cat-1 and Jo(?) @rebecca @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan or Clive will be able to make at least one of them :slight_smile: - if you can, do please post a message
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I can’t be there on Tuesday, but hope to be there on Friday.
Sue

2 Likes

Definitely Friday, not sure about Tues yet…
:relaxed:

1 Like

I can be there on Tuesday :slight_smile: , but not Friday I’m afraid. :frowning:

1 Like