Oxford Welsh learners group

Ah, looks like I won’t be in time for today’s meeting then (read the thread too hurriedly last night while multitasking with the kids and missed the bit about the Bod) - have a great sgwrs everyone, and see you later in the week!

1 Like

Diolch @rebecca - in fact we were there until gone half eleven so it might have worked but dim ots - have to make sure you get a double dose on Thursday though! :slight_smile:

A quick reminder that our next meetup is*/will be lunchtime tomorrow, Thursday (11 Jan) in the MAO/MOMA cafe, Pembroke St/St Ebbe’s St from 12:00.

(* Just had the thought that this could be an example in Saesneg of a present tense standing for future time, in contrast to instances in Cymraeg in which a future tense can sometimes stand for present time)

1 Like

It is likely that I shall be elsewhere on Thursday, though it is not 100% certain. (Pity, I could have come on Friday though I have now made other arrangements.) I can’t come on 25th and probably not on 1st Feb. Sorry, everyone. I shall come again one day.
Sue

Sorry to hear that @Betterlatethan :disappointed: - might it be worth you suggesting one or two dates for an ad hoc meet-up? Maybe one or two of the others could join you if they can’t make an “official” meetup or would like an extra one?

Helo pawb
In case you haven’t seen this - could be a nice opportunity for us if they can reach into Lloegr :slight_smile:
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/clwb-finyl-music-appreciation-society/10542

I can’t make it today - sorry! Can’t wait to hear what pub you all decide on for next week though! :smiley_cat:

Sorry you can’t make it today @cat-1 - but do let us know if you’ve any pubby suggestions/preferences to throw into the pot

1 Like

It occurred to me recently that sometimes in English (and especially a certain type of stuffy, old fashioned English), ‘presently’ is used in a way similar to ‘nawr’, which Welsh people famously express with ‘now in a minute’! :joy:

2 Likes

Will see you at MAO now in a minute, @johnwilliams_6, but before I forget, I think it’s quite common to use the present tense to talk about the future in English. ‘I’m going to Spain on holiday this summer’, ‘When is your doctor’s appointment next week?’, ‘I’m seeing her on Saturday’, etc.

1 Like

Preferences for the pub pot - old pubs, creaky pubs, carpets/floorboards/oak panels (much better for hearing Welsh I’m told). My uncle used to drink too much in the Eagle and Child, so I’m fond of that. Like The Turf Tavern, and the absolutely ancient wonky one - is it the Bear? Can’t remember!

1 Like

Diolch @cat-1 that’s a good selectin to start with and yes, they do say that The Bear’s the oldest continually occupied pub in Rhydychen .
Now by “popular demand” (diolch @rebecca &@RichardBuck :slight_smile:) here’s a list Cymraeg for people to choose from of Central Oxford/Jericho pubs, including @cat-1 's suggestions above, which are open by 11:00am on Mondays:

* Y Goron, Marchnad Ŷd
* Arfau y Brenin, Stryd Dreffynon
* Y Meitr, Stryd Fawr
* Yr Alarch a’r Castell, Stryd Y Castell
* Tafarn yr Arth. Stryd Alffred
* Y Siecrau, Stryd Fawr
* Yr Eryr a’r Blentyn, Stryd Sant Giles

• Tafarndy Jerico, Stryd Wal y Dref
    * Yr Oen a’r Faner, Stryd Sant Giles
    * Y Llew Coch, Stryd Gaerloyw
    * Yr Wlithen a’r Letysen, Castell Rhydychen
    * Tafarn y Dywarchen, Stryd Fadd
    * Yr Ysgub, Stryd Fawr
    * Y Ceffyl Gwyn, Stryd Llydan

Hwyl, John

That’s not a list to choose from - it’s surely a list to work through! Gwaith da!! :smile_cat:

2 Likes

As a well-known meeting place for that well-known Welsh learner Tolkien, why don’t we start with the Eagle & Child then (Monday 15th Jan 11:00am as doors open)?

1 Like

Perffaith for me!

Be quick, If anyone’s interested in attending the April bootcamp - booking opens 9pm tonight!
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/bwtcamps-2018/10305/13

1 Like

I’ll be at Yr Eryr a’r Blentyn yfory! Unless I’m full of start-of-term lurgy (the kids are, and I’m showing signs) in which case I’ll spare you my germs.

2 Likes

Hoping to be there today too - @rebecca - hope the lurg leaves you alone!

1 Like

I think I’ll give it a miss - coughing and sniffling a bit and don’t want to make you all yn dost. Will focus on beating it in time for Thursday!

OK, diolch @rebecca - hope you manage to fight it off and are feeling better yn fuan / toc / cyn bo hir!