Oxford Welsh learners group

What, like start insisting that they have to learn Welsh now?

1 Like

Superb idea @RichardBuck. if they did a Welsh version of Minecraft I might just get somewhere!

If anyone should find themselves dragged into McDonalds in Oxford, it seems there’s a small bonus for dysgwyr - Kieran Thomas of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym has discovered that their touch-screen ordering machine has a Welsh language option :slight_smile: :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214608745844819&set=gm.1993930057286269&type=3&theater

4 Likes

Hi everyone, myself and a couple of friends have been running an informal meetup for a few months now but have decided we want to try and get more people in!

And crucially it’s during the evening - we meet on Wednesday’s at 8:30pm at the Big Society, Cowley Road.

At the moment there’s 4-5 of us ranging from 20s to a little bit older, and we spend lots of time talking about the roots of Welsh words, politics, music and all sorts.

It’d be arddechog if anyone wants to join us! Let me know if anyone is thinking of coming along next Weds 20th.

4 Likes

Just to confirm next week’s meetups, 1100 Monday 18th in the Bap Cafe and 1200 Thursday 21st in the Royal Blenheim, and not forgetting the evening meet up on Wed 20th announced by @s-coates1 in the post above
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Helo @s-coates1 - congratulations on getting this evening meetup up and running - this is great!

This is something covered by Harriet’s course at Plas Tan Y Bwlch which I’d really recommend if any of you have the possibility of attending the next one in September

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/help-more-people-needed-for-a-weekend-about-welsh-language-and-literature-in-snowdonia-next-month/12442
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I’m not there today - boo hiss! Is anyone coming on Thursday? :circus_tent:

I’ll be there :slight_smile: … and today as well (hope I won’t be the only one…:worried:)

1 Like

Will be there on Thursday assuming all is smooth with work this week (hah). And also on Wednesday for the length of time it take me to drink a pint.

2 Likes

Hi @s-coates1. Are you happy for me to include this in the list of meetups at the end of the SSiW weekly newsletter? If so, I’ll put you there as the contact person. It sounds like a great opportunity!

2 Likes

Hi Dee, yes do go ahead! Diolch :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to mention it on Wednesday! Sadly I won’t be able to get away for a few weekends now!

1 Like

A double-quick double reminder that there’ll be:

• a meetup tonight (Wed 20th) at 8.30pm at the Big Society, Cowley Road

• and a meetup tomorrow (Thurs 21st) from 1200 in the Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St,

Hope you can make it to one or the other (or both! :slight_smile:)
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Not there today again! Triple sorry, felling a bit bereft! Son is having a violin recital at school. Apparently I knew! Sometimes I wonder if I have another brain somewhere. :tired_face:

Oh dear! You’ll have to imagine you’re at Eisteddfod yr Urdd and think Welsh thoughts :slight_smile: - More meetups next week though and there’s still a walk faintly pencilled in for this weekend, or maybe next … ?

1 Like

Time for this week’s Oxford meetup reminders :slight_smile:

• 11:00am tomorrow (Mon 25th) in the Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • 8:30pm Wed 27th at the Big Society, Cowley Rd (contact @s-coates1 for more info on this one)
  • 12.00 Thurs 28th in the Royal Blenheim, St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hope you can make it to one of these - two or three woukd be even better! :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I am back and hoping to make it on Monday, but not Thursday. Never on Wednesday evening unfortunately.
Sue

2 Likes

I’m hopeful for tomorrow too (would pawb like to cross their fingers that small ill child who looks promisingly jolly today remains so tomorrow?).
:pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

Croesi bysedd

1 Like

Wedi eu croesi!