Oxford Welsh learners group

All will be well, I’m sure @cat-1 :slight_smile: - and the JR is one of the best in the country (don’t forget, though, to check the current roadworks situation on the approach to the JR)

… or Slack? :slight_smile:

It is. Although we’re going to the Horton!
Plusses - same surgeon as JR, much shorter waiting list, less chance of getting bumped for an emergency, and no roadworks!
Minuses - still panicking.
Dot thinks it will be an even better day than when she broke her leg (and she is incapable of sarcasm). :joy::joy::joy::fearful:

Had forgotten about that…

1 Like

From what you’ve told me about Dot, seems every chance that it will be for her!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Helo pawb - next week there’ll be meetups as usual on Monday & Wednesday

• Mon 16th from 11:00am in the Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • Wed 18th from 8:30pm in the Big Society, Cowley Rd (check with @s-coates1 for more info)

… BUT we might be having a walk+sgwrs on Thursday instead of the usual pub-based meetup, so “watch this space”!:slight_smile: (confirmation one way or the other in a few days time)
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m hoping to make it on Monday.

Yn anffodus, dw i’n mynd ar y bws sydd yn mynd yn lle y trên ddydd Iau. I am going on the rail replacement bus on Thursday. Google suggests “bws amnewid rheilffordd” which seems plausible. I might otherwise have been interested in a walk if it was in an easily-accessible place. I shall miss my normal Saturday walk as I shall be returning on a “bws amnewid rheilffordd”. It’s quite exciting having all these extra buses coming through, though I miss the trains.

I am thinking of getting a permit to walk in Bagley Wood. Has anyone been there?

Sue

1 Like

Just to confirm that there’ll be a walk+sgwrs on Thursday, 19th July, in place of the usual pub meetup. Check out the Oxford Walks thread if you think you might like to join us

1 Like

No, I’ve never been to Bagley Wood - must admit I didn’t even know it was possible to get a permit to visit, so it’s useful to know about that. It makes me wonder if, as well as Bagley and Wytham Woods, there are other choice bits of Oxfordshire greenery for which it’s possible to get a permit to visit?

1 Like

I think there may be some kind of “locals only” rule. I am hoping that I may be local enough to qualify. You need to apply to St John’s College and it used to cost £5 for two years.
Sue

1 Like

Thank you. @johnwilliams_6 for your patience with my attempt to describe the relevance of the Magnus effect to international shipping.

Also I will try to remember the difference between “cefnder” and “cyfandir”.
Sue

1 Like

Crikey! I’d deffo stub my toe on them…

1 Like

Wow! Looks like the progeny of an oil rig and a supertanker! :grinning:
Seriously though, diolch am y ffoto and da iawn ti, Sue, for having a go at describing it in Cymraeg (!) when it isn’t even easy to describe in Saesneg!

2 Likes

How about cefndir as well?

2 Likes

And cyfnither. I think that was partly in my mind and confusing me.

So we have
cefnder - male cousin
cyfnither - female cousin
cyfandir - continent
cefndir - background.
Oh dear.

4 Likes

Dwi’n gwybod! :joy:

1 Like

Shwmae, pawb! I got TERRIBLY out of the habit of coming along to the meet-ups and even checking in on the forum (snowed under at work, mainly) and I’m afraid I have forgotten everything. I’d like to start coming along to the meetings again, although the next few weeks are going to be difficult what with the school term ending and then holidays. Hope you’re all well! x

1 Like

S’mae @rebecca! Reallly good to hear from you again - we were afraid you might have disappeared for good! :worried:[quote=“rebecca, post:869, topic:675”]
I’m afraid I have forgotten everything
[/quote]

No, it’s all still in there ready to emerge when the opportunity arises! :slight_smile: so do come along to the meetups when you can make it.
If, though, by any chance you were thinking of coming along to the Thursday meetup this week (19th July), we’ll be having a walk instead that day (see Oxford Walks thread). Do join us if that works for you (@cat-1 and @RichardBuck both need to be back by 3pm to pick up their kids from school so no problem adjusting the timing a bit if you need to do the same)
Hwyl, John

Hi @rebecca. We have missed you! Hope to see you again soon.
Sue

Shmae Rebecca!!! Ble wyt ti wedi bod??? Very nice to see you back! :smile:

S’mae pawb! Is anyone thinking of joining us tonight at the Big Society from 8:30pm? Just asking since the group sometimes decamps to The Bear in the centre when there’s jazz on. Any questions do drop me a text on 07590008249.

1 Like

Yes, the school holidays are going to make our regular meetups awkward for a few people :worried:. Rather than trying to keep to the regular schedule, would it be better if we just said what days/dates we can manage so we can see which dates might work for people over the hollidays? Would a Doodle poll help perhaps? Ideas? Suggestions?
Let me know what you think :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John