Oxford Welsh learners group

Wow! Looks like the progeny of an oil rig and a supertanker! :grinning:
Seriously though, diolch am y ffoto and da iawn ti, Sue, for having a go at describing it in Cymraeg (!) when it isn’t even easy to describe in Saesneg!

2 Likes

How about cefndir as well?

2 Likes

And cyfnither. I think that was partly in my mind and confusing me.

So we have
cefnder - male cousin
cyfnither - female cousin
cyfandir - continent
cefndir - background.
Oh dear.

4 Likes

Dwi’n gwybod! :joy:

1 Like

Shwmae, pawb! I got TERRIBLY out of the habit of coming along to the meet-ups and even checking in on the forum (snowed under at work, mainly) and I’m afraid I have forgotten everything. I’d like to start coming along to the meetings again, although the next few weeks are going to be difficult what with the school term ending and then holidays. Hope you’re all well! x

1 Like

S’mae @rebecca! Reallly good to hear from you again - we were afraid you might have disappeared for good! :worried:[quote=“rebecca, post:869, topic:675”]
I’m afraid I have forgotten everything
[/quote]

No, it’s all still in there ready to emerge when the opportunity arises! :slight_smile: so do come along to the meetups when you can make it.
If, though, by any chance you were thinking of coming along to the Thursday meetup this week (19th July), we’ll be having a walk instead that day (see Oxford Walks thread). Do join us if that works for you (@cat-1 and @RichardBuck both need to be back by 3pm to pick up their kids from school so no problem adjusting the timing a bit if you need to do the same)
Hwyl, John

Hi @rebecca. We have missed you! Hope to see you again soon.
Sue

Shmae Rebecca!!! Ble wyt ti wedi bod??? Very nice to see you back! :smile:

S’mae pawb! Is anyone thinking of joining us tonight at the Big Society from 8:30pm? Just asking since the group sometimes decamps to The Bear in the centre when there’s jazz on. Any questions do drop me a text on 07590008249.

1 Like

Yes, the school holidays are going to make our regular meetups awkward for a few people :worried:. Rather than trying to keep to the regular schedule, would it be better if we just said what days/dates we can manage so we can see which dates might work for people over the hollidays? Would a Doodle poll help perhaps? Ideas? Suggestions?
Let me know what you think :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

Back to the usual schedule next week:

• Mon 23rd from 11:00am in the Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • Wed 25th from 8:30pm in the Big Society, Cowley Rd (check with @s-coates1 for more info)
  • Thurs 26th from 12:00 in the Royal Blenheim, St Ebbes/Pembroke St

I can’t make to any of these, unfortunately, nor the following Mondayt so as there may be fewer people around with the start of the holidays, do please post a message to say if you’re planning to be there

Also let’s have your suggestions:

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Helo grwp Rhydychen.

I’m David in Warwick, been learning Welsh for nearly 4 years, but very short of speaking practice.

I’ve been meaning for a while to get down to Oxford to meet you.

I have some time off work this coming week and I’d like to come along to your meetups on Wednesday night (25th) and Thursday lunchtime (26th), if people are going. I see John isn’t, but I’m hoping a few of you may be. Please let me know.

Diolch yn fawr.

Pob hwyl,

David

2 Likes

Helo David,

I am currently free on Thursday 26th lunchtime and can be at the Royal Blenheim at 12:00. I have been learning for about a year and my speaking skills are not great, but all practice is good.
Sue

2 Likes

I’m happy to use a Doodle poll if you set one up, @johnwilliams_6. (Setting it up is beyond me!)

Meanwhile, it currently looks as if I could be at the Bap Cafe on 23rd and 30th July, and all of August without the usual time restraint. (No Pilates.) It’s a special journey, so I shall look here and see if anyone else is planning to go before I make the effort. (Anyone for 23rd?)

I am otherwise occupied on Thursdays 2nd and 9th and maybe 23rd August, but might be available on 16th and 30th.

Wednesdays or Fridays (daytime) are sometimes possible, but not evenings. Tuesdays rarely.

Sue

2 Likes

Hi @s-coates1 - just tagging you in case you haven’t yet seen @david_cumner 's post above

Hi Sue – It looks like I might be free to join you at the Bap Café, but probably not from the start – I have to go up to Leamington Spa to get a van left with a garage to be mended, so it depends if the guys turn up at 9am and how long it takes there and back. It’s not impossible I might make the Big Society, but I’m unlikely to make anything much else over the summer unless I can drag the plantos along. As you say, if someone constructs a Doodle poll I’ll happily do my best to complete it!

2 Likes

I’m going to try my best for tomorrow too - the kids are on a school trip, and as the holidays start on Tues it will be my last chance for a while without the hordes!
@david_cumner - I’m afraid I can’t be there on the Thursday we will be in the first mayhem ridden flush of the school hols, but I do hope you get a chance to have a chat with Sue. :slight_smile:
@RichardBuck - hope Leamington Spa releases you quickly and painlessly! Maybe see you tomorrow.

2 Likes

Helo Sue.

Thanks very much. I’ll see you and anyone elase who can make it on Thursday 12 noon.

How will I spot you (and other SSIWers)? Do you tend to sit in the same place or will you be waving a Ddraig goch?

I’ve got fair hair, a beard, 50 ish and probably looking bewildered! I’ll wear a Dysgu Cymraeg badge or two.

For any problems on the day or the day before as I’ll be in Oxford on Wednesday as well, please take my phone number 07875 826361. It’s a dumb phone so I can’t get the internet on it. (Really must join the 21st century.
)

If anyone can make the Big Society on Wednesday night, please let me know.

Kind regards,

David

1 Like

Hi @cat-1,
Great. I shall aim to be there at 11am. If @RichardBuck makes it too then that will be even better.
Sue

1 Like

Helo David,

I don’t know where people usually sit because I don’t often make it on Thursdays, but I shall sit in the seat next to the entrance door. It’s not the most comfortable, so we could move to a better seat afterwards. I have short fair hair, 70 ish. I don’t own a badge, but I shall think about printing out a little flag.

Anyone else?

Sue

1 Like