Pink, red, green, blue and beyond... what do they mean?

If you’d like, I could make five separate posts, one for each of your questions.

2 Likes

That would be extremely kind of you, Philip - each question really does need to be in its own thread for people to be able to show easily which one they’re answering… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That would be marvellous please Philip–I would really appreciate that.

Diolch yn fawr iawn,
Marilyn

OK, I’ll do that.

By the way @aran, could you please edit the link to the instructions on how to move from red to green in the post at the top of this thread? The link currently ends in /26 and will lead to a response fairly far down the thread; I think just snipping that off (or replacing it with /1) to lead to the top of the thread with your own post is probably better.

Oh, great catch - thanks, Philip! :star: :star2:

2 Likes

My recording. No idea if I have put this in the right place!

1 Like

Is it allowed to prepare the sentences for the red badge, or is that considered bad form, and it should be ad libbed? I ad libbed for pink (after some practice!) but then no one was listening to that!

1 Like

It’s up to you really Stephen - the more ad-libbed it is, the more you’ll get out of it (it’s an exercise for you rather than for anyone else!). If you don’t fancy ad-libbing the whole lot, but feel fully preparing each sentence is a bit cheeky, then maybe just jot down a few key words and ad-lib around them.
And don’t worry about who will listen, this is for you, you are the one that will be able to listen back to it and cringe at any mistakes (yeah, we all make them, ad-libbed or not! :wink: ) and then learn from them, and you are the one who will be able to go back and listen again at some point in the future and be able to tell how far you’ve progressed :slight_smile:

Anyone who’s already done this exercise will tell you that it feels very uncomfortable at first, and we all hate our own voice when we listen back to it, so just go for it :smiley:

5 Likes

I think I’ll do that. Perhaps just a word to remind me where to go with each sentence. I seem to have a blind spot for “Beth…” and can’t think of anything to go with it. Just a word like “yfory” might prompt me to say something like “Beth wyt ti’n gwneud 'fory?”

Or perhaps I’ll just practice going through the list a few times and hope that things start to come naturally.

Thanks Siaron.

3 Likes

Ad-lib is what we’re aiming for - you’re your own exam monitor, of course - but the benefit is all tied up in the ad-libbing… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ad libbing it is then… better not attempt it until I’ve had some more practice at coming up with sentences. Mostly I just shout incomprehensibly at the dogs at the moment… “YMA! NAWR!”

5 Likes

Or maybe have a list of your ten words in English just to prompt thought… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I do. :grinning:

1 Like

I am still on pink even though I posted this week to say I had done the challenge (haven’t uploaded a recording as havent had time to get my head around the technology!) And can I have a big shiny medal for being brave enough to do a hangout!!!

2 Likes

Sorry, the challenge includes uploading the recording!

But we can do you the well-deserved medal: :medal_sports: (and a :trophy: :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. I’ll get it done this week. Diolch!

1 Like

Done now!

1 Like

:thinking: what is a hangout …omgosh I am drowning with technology

Hi Sandra,
A hangout is a group chat via video link. It’s similar to Skype but we use the Slack platform instead. It sounds daunting when you first start, but it’s a great way to practise. :slight_smile:

@aran Should I be in red then as I posted my sentences a few days ago? Have had a right faff with uploading and using SoundCloud but others have said they’ve heard them!