Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 08/02/2019 5️⃣

Bore da gyfeillion annwyl! How is everyone today? Do you have an interesting weekend ahead?

1) This morning whilst birthday card shopping in Caernarfon, I overheard a woman complaining that her husband spent way too much time in the pub and that she had spent a whole day on her own wallpaper stripping with a butter-knife. Although her struggle was real, as her friend pointed out to her, the solution was simple - she had a wallpaper steamer to lend and if said husband was sent round to pick it up, then he could be left in charge of the rest of the stripping. Sometimes we need to reach out and stop being martyrs. When was the last time you should have just asked for help?

2) Tomorrow is my birthday, which brings me to the three year countdown before I’m 50. If you were to give me a before 50 bucket list, what would be the first item?

3) Talking of birthdays, tonight we’re attending a 40th birthday party, where Gwibdaith Hen Fran are playing. What would your perfect shindig involve?

4) Birthdays have featured prominently in the last two weeks and I decided to make rather than buy gifts. If you were to make anyone a gift, or to give a favour as a gift, what would it be?

5) Make up your own birthday related question and answer it…

Oh, hey, NO SPOILERS!

2 Likes

It’s OK, Aran. As soon as I read how old she said she would be, I knew it was a complete fiction. :laughing:

4 Likes

1} When was the last time you should have just asked for help?
Every day pretty well but specifically if I got lost before the days of SatNav. I’d ignore M’s exhortation to stop and ask for directions. I’d rather have driven over a cliff. :laughing:

2) If you were to give me a before 50 bucket list, what would be the first item?
By your 50th birthday, we shall have colonised the moon and Mars so I suggest a daytrip to the moon and/or a weekend on Mars

3) What would your perfect shindig involve?
A meal at Ynys Hir Hotel/Restaurant with @HarrietEaris playing the harp in the dining room.

4) If you were to make anyone a gift, or to give a favour as a gift, what would it be?
I’d do what I do every day - I’d give of myself.:smiley: If that isn’t enough a box of Belgian choccies usually goes down well

5) Q: What will be special about @CatrinLliarJones ‘s and my brthday in May?
A: I’'ll be 74 and she’ll be the reverse of that (if she is to be believed, that is)

1 Like

1} When was the last time you should have just asked for help?
A few months ago when installing a new radiator in the bedroom. I thought I had fully drained the system but, after cutting the existing pipe and the water starting to pour out I sat there cross legged with my finger plugging the cut end thinking, ‘where are my (adult) children when I need them’.
2) If you were to give me a before 50 bucket list, what would be the first item?
A bucket
I prefer shenanigans to shindigs. I think I would try to convince people I was either much younger or older than I am and be either pleased or hopelessly distraught at the reaction.
4) If you were to make anyone a gift, or to give a favour as a gift, what would it be?
A bucket to put a list in.
5)
Q:When will you be 21?
A: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

1) This morning whilst birthday card shopping in Caernarfon, I overheard a woman complaining that her husband spent way too much time in the pub and that she had spent a whole day on her own wallpaper stripping with a butter-knife. Although her struggle was real, as her friend pointed out to her, the solution was simple - she had a wallpaper steamer to lend and if said husband was sent round to pick it up, then he could be left in charge of the rest of the stripping. Sometimes we need to reach out and stop being martyrs. When was the last time you should have just asked for help?

Last week when carrying the shopping. Of course I could carry 7 bags at once…Fortunately it was the bag with the eggs that broke.

2) Tomorrow is my birthday, which brings me to the three year countdown before I’m 50. If you were to give me a before 50 bucket list, what would be the first item?

Emma’s answer: have children

I like this and so I’m stealing it too.

3) Talking of birthdays, tonight we’re attending a 40th birthday party, where Gwibdaith Hen Fran are playing. What would your perfect shindig involve?

Our wedding. It was perfect.

So: it would involve - both sets of family. Our closest friends. A Twmpath and a barn.

4) Birthdays have featured prominently in the last two weeks and I decided to make rather than buy gifts. If you were to make anyone a gift, or to give a favour as a gift, what would it be?

I plan to help my friend re-hang his doors.

Where would be your next holiday destination?

Funny you should ask. Emma and I, with our close friends, are planning a trip to the Heel of Italy (Puglia)

2 Likes

1) When was the last time you should have just asked for help?

Before I tried to wash up that empty but sharp tin of tuna.

A whale and osprey watching trip.

Considerably less noise. Perhaps a band, but at a sensible distance, and the opportunity to have actual conversations with people. And some people I know wouldn’t go amiss, either. And my wife not forcing innocent bystanders to listen to her explaining how wonderful Prince was.

I’d offer to do the washing up, if I could be convinced that there were precisely ZERO empty but sharp tins of tuna in it.

Do you need any more birthdays?
No, thank you, that’s quite enough.

1 Like

Apart from the 10th SSiW birthday party of course!!

2 Likes

Did you have a nice time, Aran?

(Finger still hurting, is it?)

2 Likes

:joy:

Oh, birthdays that aren’t MINE, yes, that sounds like a very good idea… :wink:

1) When was the last time you should have just asked for help?
Honestly, there have been too many instances that I can’t possibly pick one out. I’m an act now think later kind of girl. If there’s a job to be done, I’ll always believe I have the ability to fix/build/erect, until I get proven wrong, which usually results in an injury. I’ve inherited this wonderful ability from my mother. :wink:

Handling birds of prey.

I think it would have to be a re-run of our wedding reception - in a field, in the sun, with stunning views of Porthdinllaen, a hog roast, no seating arrangements, no long speeches, no formalities, plenty of wine, a beautiful sunset, a Welsh band and lots of laughter. It was legendary.

Maybe a portrait drawing? Or a special home cooked meal?

2 Likes